News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

In New York, the opening of franchise stores put an end to a vibrant independent retail sector. New York lost its"edge"; in retail terms, NYC is now like any other place in the USA - boring.

Yeah, New York is such a yawn. I don't know why I keep on going back. I might as well save myself the money and go to Grand Forks, North Dakota or some place like that.

nothing still beats Midtown NY...

I like the new stuff around the other parts but I like all the glamour and older nature of Midtown.

I would argue there's more history downtown. I've actually grown a bit tired of midtown Manhattan... too shiny, glittery, and phoney.

The antique trinket shop just south of College on the east side of Yonge that closed a few weeks ago was swiftly replaced by a middle eastern fast food joint.

Nice! Now on my Lake to Bloor walks I can grab no less than twenty five shawarmas! A God-send!

:D Forgot the name ... Lebanon something.

I was only half-joking....I flippin' LOVE chicken shawarmas.

I find it the best fast food...ever.

Healthiest + Best Value + Best Taste = Thank you, Beirut!

I was only half-joking....I flippin' LOVE chicken shawarmas.

I find it the best fast food...ever.

Healthiest + Best Value + Best Taste = Thank you, Beirut!

I wouldn't call shewerma "healthiest" by a long shot ... then again I guess it depends what your comparing it too :)

Depending on where your getting it from it can be fatty if beef is used - oily too in some circumstances. tehina (the sauce commonly used in every variant of shewerma ) is also not very healthy dependong how it's made.

A falafel is much healthier.

No way! I once only had a falafel for lunch and then went out on the town and drank a bit and got really drunk because I had only vegetables in my stomach so I got kicked out of the venue and fell over, onto my chin outside. I still have a scar.

So, no, not healthier. Or am I not supposed to blame the falafel? ;)

You're right, of course. I was more comparing chicken shawarma as fast food to other fast food staples such as....well, the usual suspects.

Also, it's quite satisfying without having to eat all that much food, really.

Man, I should have just said I was madly biased in favour of shawarmas. :)

A falafel is much healthier.

Relatively speaking sure, but again - don't forget it's fried! Some falafel's are probably worse for you due to the type of oil it's fried with.

It's a misconception that falefel is healthy ... compared to some other "fast foods" it can be considered that was I supose.

^Agora Cafe in the Junction bakes their falafel: It's good and healthy, but not as good as Halleluia Restaurant's (more traditional) version (Eglinton and Bathurst.)

Ooo, where exactly is this Halleluia you speak of? I work in that area quite a bit and have never come across it, but it sounds like it'd be my kinda place to grab lunch between job sites.

Back