News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

The renders for Yonge indicate that the treatment will be interlocking pavers. The suggestion seems to be 'grey'. Assuming there aren't vast differences in cost based on colour, I imagine that's an easy change at this stage.

View attachment 291127

The people to push for a red or warm tone would be the Downtown Yonge BIA; and the local Councillors.

I think we know what will happen with those bike lanes if built as shown here (convenient parking to 'just quickly grab Starbucks').

I think we know what will happen with those bike lanes if built as shown here (convenient parking to 'just quickly grab Starbucks').

Any bike lanes built on Yonge will have some form of physical separation; but it didn't look pretty in the render.

I studied the plans today. I can see there are only a couple of 100m pedestrian zones. The text says it was intentionally reduced to provide ride share (Uber, Lyft, etc.) access. So pedestrians are second and Uber is first. What purpose to have Dundas Sq. (south) road open for cars makes no sense. Also, south down to Shuter St. to provide one lane for cars is stupid. This solely caters to Uber. Around Gould St. the same thing.

This proposal is way to inconsistent and to confusing. We can expect drivers getting around those proposed "gates" as why they should drive through. Also this leaves a way too big of a target for terrorist attacks who could "conveniently" drive into people. Those orange zones are making that threat possible and breaking a consistent design that would otherwise serve residents well. Sad!

I don't think terrorism is a big problem with the design. You can get attacks like the incel van attack almost anywhere. Big events with crowds will be protected with blocking trucks and concrete barriers. I think retractable bollards would be preferable to gates.

Matt Elliott is live tweeting from the IEC committee meeting in which they are debating this item, and shared what I think might be a couple new renderings(?). Also, just in case you were wondering how dumb the opposition arguments would get, the head of the company that owns a bunch of billboards is arguing that people somehow see billboards better from cars (??!?!?), which of course prompted Denzil Minnan-Wong, ever the pig-headed Luddite, to proclaim that this will "take away the excitement" of Yonge.

I can't even.

1610379971691.png

1610380021587.png
1610380035156.png

1610380047206.png

Also, CF is bad now:

Last edited:
The entire live-tweet thread:

Thanks @ADRM for all the updates. FWIW, both Pasternak and Denzil Minnan-Wong tried to defer; that just failed. (Oof - those two are the worst councillors in terms of pedestrian improvements; they voted against the Midtown Yonge proposal as well).

After this, next stop Council? Hopefully it passes there. DMW may try to pull his “Yonge Street belongs to all of us” to torpedo it.

Last edited:
Matt Elliott is live tweeting from the IEC committee meeting in which they are debating this item, and shared what I think might be a couple new renderings(?). Also, just in case you were wondering how dumb the opposition arguments would get, the head of the company that owns a bunch of billboards is arguing that people somehow see billboards better from cars (??!?!?), which of course prompted Denzil Minnan-Wong, ever the pig-headed Luddite, to proclaim that this will "take away the excitement" of Yonge.

I can't even.

View attachment 293540
View attachment 293541View attachment 293542
View attachment 293543

Also, CF is bad now:

One thing I learned over the years is that CF can be very hard to deal with at times with things being their way or the highway.

I don't see how business would suffer at the Eaton Centre if Yonge was closed though as there is an entrance onto Bay for parking and the loading docks are on Bay as well.

That little stub of a street south of Yonge-Dundas Square should be permanently closed and absorbed into the square itself.

It really should but I suspect it plays a role in accessing O'keefe Lane which is the backside of the stores on Yonge. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Back