News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

After turning onto Enterprise from Warden the road veers slightly south and the BRT lanes will continue straight via an exclusive ROW/pedestrian mall through Markham Centre rejoining Enterprise just east of the railway bridge.

Warden to Birchmount
http://www.vivanext.com/assets/files/pastConsultations/november_28/warden_to_birchmount.pdf

Market Drive to Unionville
http://www.vivanext.com/assets/files/pastConsultations/november_28/market_drive_to_unionville.pdf

Oh thanks for those, I'm glad they're not simply following the road. This is better.

But I'd still like some construction starting on Highway 7 right now. :rolleyes:

After turning onto Enterprise from Warden the road veers slightly south and the BRT lanes will continue straight via an exclusive ROW/pedestrian mall through Markham Centre rejoining Enterprise just east of the railway bridge.

Warden to Birchmount
http://www.vivanext.com/assets/files/pastConsultations/november_28/warden_to_birchmount.pdf

Market Drive to Unionville
http://www.vivanext.com/assets/files/pastConsultations/november_28/market_drive_to_unionville.pdf

They need another station to the east as it too far to walk to Warden now. It even to far to the GO station.

If you don't, so much for transit.

I know first hand since I did walk to both places on a nice day. Doing on a raining day or in a snow storm will be a bitch.

There is a station planned for the intersection of Enterprise & Birchmount which should address your concerns. :)

York Region has selected Novabus to supply the next generation of VIVA buses. (pending council approval)

Apparently New Flyer did not even meet the 25% Canadian content criteria. O_O

25% Canadian content requirement is just dumb. Especially considering it doesn't take into account place of assembly and manufacture. Is there such a requirement for cars as well? The government should pick on motorists, not transit riders.

25% Canadian content requirement is just dumb. Especially considering it doesn't take into account place of assembly and manufacture. Is there such a requirement for cars as well? The government should pick on motorists, not transit riders.
I agree with you, but I don't think it's transit riders that are getting picked on here. The whole point of transit is that for the most part, riders don't have to worry about anything.

It's more of a hassle to the transit companies. They need to provide the same level of service, so if Canadian busses cost more, they'll just need more government funding.

York Region has selected Novabus to supply the next generation of VIVA buses. (pending council approval)

Apparently New Flyer did not even meet the 25% Canadian content criteria. O_O

Looks pretty similar to what they currently have. What happened to Van Hool?

Looks pretty similar to what they currently have. What happened to Van Hool?

They didn't even bother bidding on the Request For Proposal.

-I don't think they were able to meet the 25% Canadian content criteria (which was needed to secure provincial/federal/not sure which one subsidies)
-I don't think they have a model that has "advanced propulsion technology" (hybrid? mentioned in the RFP) that is available to the North American market

I'm a bit worried about Novabuses though. We all know their track record with new technologies/new anything. I hope we don't get lemons like the STM did.

http://www.yorkregion.com/article/97723
Regional News
October 09, 2009 03:07 PM

David Fleischer

York Region is poised to sign off on deal for new Viva buses that could add up to $50 million over the next five years.

Nova Bus, a division of Volvo, is the only contender for the contract to provide up to 51, 18.2-metre buses for the region’s rapid transit fleet.

The initial approval is for 15 buses at a cost of just under $1 million each.

“It was a showcase for our region,†capital assets manager Rick Takagi told last week’s transportation committee of Viva’s distinctive blue buses.

“We were still looking for a vehicle with advanced asethetics and styling.â€

Since the new buses are expected to be on the road for several years, along with those now rolling down regional streets, it was important the two look similar, Viva chief architect David Clark told the committee.

“We were very pleased with the exterior styling (of the Nova Bus). We felt it fit well with the intent of what we’re trying to put on the street,†he said.

The new buses are very similar in size those in the current fleet of 101 buses, all acquired from Belgium’s Van Hool. Canadian bus manufacturers were not able to produce appropriate buses at the time the purchase was made, a staff report states.

Staff want to see the new vehicles remain as “state of the art†as the Van Hool buses.

That means a more stylish design, comfortable seating, reduced emissions and noise and low maintenance.

The new buses will have more seats at floor level, big windows and other familiar features.

One photo illustration showed a cluster of four seats centred around a table as one possible configuration.

Unlike the Van Hool buses, which have a centrally-located engine, the Novas are rear drive. Knowing the quiet back seats on the current buses are popular, staff will work to minimize engine noise.

Wheelchair ramps now located at the rear doors will instead be at the front entrance, by the driver.

The initial contract is for 2010, with options for up to 36 more buses until 2014.

Seven companies picked up the RFP, which closed in May, but New Flyer was the only other company to respond. However, they failed to meet a 25-per-cent Canadian content requirement to obtain upper-level government funding.

By contrast, Nova was at nearly 48 per cent Canadian content.

Nova already had the highest technical scores, and the lower price submission by about $1 million.

Some councillors were disappointed Van Hool wasn’t even able to bid, given the current level of satisfaction with the fleet.

“I think that’s worrisome,†Georgina Mayor Robert Grossi said.

“One thing we don’t want to be is protectionist.â€

The base price for each new bus is $902,234, plus GST. A further $35,000 in optional enhancements will ensure the vehicles are up to Viva’s design standards.

Funding is to be shared on an equal basis between the region and the federal government and confirmation from Ottawa is expected before the end of the month.

Council votes on the proposal at its Oct. 22 meeting.

Wow, 4 seats around a table?! I don't really like the sound of that. I appreciate Viva's combination of coach and traditional bus styles, but coaches don't really suit what Viva should be at all. They need to keep that extra space for passengers rather than making things even more comfortable than they are. I mean, I wouldn't even expect tables in Go busses, let alone the local RT that Viva's supposed to be.

All that said, I'm interested in these new busses. They look like they'll be nice, and they'll all be articulated from now on, right?

I think articulated buses are too shaky for any tables to be useful...

The Nova buses looks nice but it could be inferior to the Van Hool because of the rear engine...

Wow, 4 seats around a table?! I don't really like the sound of that. I appreciate Viva's combination of coach and traditional bus styles, but coaches don't really suit what Viva should be at all. They need to keep that extra space for passengers rather than making things even more comfortable than they are. I mean, I wouldn't even expect tables in Go busses, let alone the local RT that Viva's supposed to be.

All that said, I'm interested in these new busses. They look like they'll be nice, and they'll all be articulated from now on, right?

They already have 4 seats around a table. Two of them are located at the back of every articulated bus that runs on Viva Blue. They're not introducing anything new.. just keeping things consistent. But I agree, the tables don't do much for anyone. Those who actually need it can never get a seat there because they are always taken by someone who's sleeping anyway.

^^ Oh yeah, I remember now. Haven't actually ridden Blue in a while :p
On a route like Blue though, it could make sense if the busses actually went all the way to Newmarket (long trips sit at the back where they have a table.) Other than that, I don't see much of a need for them tbh.
I keep wondering what Viva'd be like if/when they move to LRTs or even subways. Would they try to keep that coach-style feel or go for a more generic transit layout? How much of that coach comfort actually attracts customers that would otherwise be more inclined to take their car?

Back