News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Thing is, if they both take the same amount of time to get to Union, what becomes the point of the GO train?

First, it's extra capacity.
Second, it's still a premium service. Even if takes the same time (not yet certain), it's got comfier seats, windows, fewer stops etc. You could really just as easily say, "what's the point of cars?" since they can also go to Union Station. What's the point of taxis if you have cars? But the different modes have different pros and cons. I mean, there are plenty of commuter rail lines that overlap with subway lines in New York and elsewhere too, I'm sure.

Unless Old Cummer suddenly becomes a hipster hangout or something, GO will remain a commuter rail service to Union and the subway is a more local service. If someone wants to take the subway from Langstaff to Union or say, Downsview, they can but that doesn't mean it's the best way to get there.

GO doesn't help some suburbanite get to say, U of T as easily as the subway, but Mr. Bay Street Lawyer is more likely to opt for GO, I'd think, especially once s/he has more than 3 choices in the morning and night. Different audiences, different needs.

Really, if the biggest problem we have to deal with is too many public transit options in the inner suburbs I think we're doing OK.

According to a notice to employees at Wonderland, Route 20 is getting restructured on June 30th. They are getting rid of the Melville detour and ending service to the Canada's Wonderland employee parking lot. On weekends it will now fully be a gridlined route. I asked by email if they plan on doing anything about the Edgley/Millway detour but they said there are currently no plans to due to high ridership in that area.

Last edited:
I read your blog and thought it was pretty insightful. I also think it would make sense and probably save money to run the Highway 7 rapidway down Centre St down to Yonge and then go north to RHC. This would give people in Vaughan an alternative to the (after the Spadina extension is complete) for getting to Yonge Street and Finch Station and would allow the rapidway to serve the Thornhill community more effectively. Ive only taken purple twice but both times I found the route really annoying. It served very few people between YorkU and RHC and kept making all these turns, slowing down the whole commute. Having a Viva Purple line go down Highway 7 West and Centre until Yonge and then going to RHC along side a Viva Purple A taking Highway 7 fully to get to VMC is a great idea and is what YRT should really be doing. Of course the people there, don't seem to know anything about planning transit well, so I doubt this plan will ever come into effect.

The 2017 VIVA system will have VIVA Purple split at Promenade mall with one branch going down Clark Ave to Yonge, then south to Finch, and the other branch going the existing route to RHC.

The 2017 VIVA system will have VIVA Purple split at Promenade mall with one branch going down Clark Ave to Yonge, then south to Finch, and the other branch going the existing route to RHC.

Really, down Clark? So it will be in mixed traffic for an awful long stretch, between Dufferin/7 and Yonge/Finch. I guess it's a reasonable stop-gap until the subway extension opens circa 2040.

The proposed 2017 VIVA network plan:
gz2plxA.jpg

Found here

At what frequencies ?

So as indicated earlier YRT will be cutting service on many routes.

But is this just to fund more transit on these major routes ? Maybe that's not so bad then ... as long as people can drive to the main nodes / stations (as clearly the side routes are / will suffer).

At what frequencies ?

So as indicated earlier YRT will be cutting service on many routes.

But is this just to fund more transit on these major routes ? Maybe that's not so bad then ... as long as people can drive to the main nodes / stations (as clearly the side routes are / will suffer).

I'm guessing all VIVA routes in 2017 will have a minimum of 15 minutes frequencies at peak. Orange, Purple, and Blue will most likely have 7.5min frequencies like Blue has today, and the branched portions of Orange will have 15 min frequencies.

I'm guessing VIVA Silver and Green will most likely have peak frequencies of 10-15 minutes and off-peak frequencies of 20 mins, with it being adjusted after service starts depending on passenger demand.

I'm guessing that the Region is looking to turn Viva into a kind of grid network of frequent, limited stop routes accompanied by less frequent local 'standard' routes, relatively speaking.

That is IF they have the frequent standard routes. Recent service changes have reduced service on local routes (and on VIVA routes as well for that matter).

I get why Green will no longer be going to East Markham since it wasn't well used, but why will pink end at McCowan like Green does now? Why not go the few extra stops!?! Adding some purple runs that don't do the Markham Centre Detour is somewhat helpful though.

Also, still no Cornell Terminal by 2017? Has YRT just given up on everyone east of McCowan?

Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about separating the Rapidway construction discussion from the general YRT/Viva service discussion into separate threads. What do people here think?

Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about separating the Rapidway construction discussion from the general YRT/Viva service discussion into separate threads. What do people here think?

I was just about to make the exact same post.

Back