News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Gateway Newstands at Yorkdale station is gone. To be fair, there's one inside the mall itself not far from the station entrance.
My guess is that they are using that space to create a tunnel under the platform so that people can get to the other end of it both for when they close the current stairs and escalators and once the elevator is in place.

My guess is that they are using that space to create a tunnel under the platform so that people can get to the other end of it both for when they close the current stairs and escalators and once the elevator is in place.

I don't think that's the case, their open house presentation speaks nothing of a tunnel under the platform. I also seriously doubt they would want to splurge that kind of money into a temporary disturbance. If anything, they'll just make commuters walk outside to access the mall if they need to block the stairs.

I don't think that's the case, their open house presentation speaks nothing of a tunnel under the platform. I also seriously doubt they would want to splurge that kind of money into a temporary disturbance. If anything, they'll just make commuters walk outside to access the mall if they need to block the stairs.
It's only a guess as if you go to the entrance at the other end of the platform ther is a similar set of Harding to the one that as at the old gateway newsstand.

And what about the Arc en Ciel art installation? Any progress there? That element seems to have fallen by the wayside...
I think they have done some work on it but could be waiting untill everything is finished on the rest of the sation before thy do anything with it.

Okay, from the TTC's press release upon the completion of Glenciarn's Joy reinstallation, there's this:

Two other skylights on the University side of Line 1 at Yorkdale and Eglinton West stations are part of the larger $18.7 million Skylight Program funded under PTIF with the Federal government and City of Toronto both providing matching contributions of almost $9.4 million. The skylight replacement at Eglinton West Station was completed in 2018 and Yorkdale Station is in its final phase of design with construction scheduled to commence in 2021.

Woohoo!

Okay, from the TTC's press release upon the completion of Glenciarn's Joy reinstallation, there's this:

Two other skylights on the University side of Line 1 at Yorkdale and Eglinton West stations are part of the larger $18.7 million Skylight Program funded under PTIF with the Federal government and City of Toronto both providing matching contributions of almost $9.4 million. The skylight replacement at Eglinton West Station was completed in 2018 and Yorkdale Station is in its final phase of design with construction scheduled to commence in 2021.

Woohoo!

I wonder if they will have to basically rebuild the skylight like they did at Glencairn - this may have an impact on the fairly iconic exterior appearance of Yorkdale Station.

AoD

Last edited:
Posted by @Northern Light on general TTC thread..

Inching forward on the re-install of Arc en Ciel at Yorkdale, with necessary repairs in advance:

T11PG20808 - A15-11 - YORKDALE STATION – SKYLIGHT REMEDIAL REPAIRS - T11PG20808 | MERX

www.merx.com
www.merx.com

I feel like this station has been edging everyone with these proposed updates for over a decade now. Is this any closer to being started?

Back