News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

If the TTC would update their fare-collection system they could cut down on a lot of complaints. Most systems have fully-automated turnstyles actviated by fair cards, tickets, tokens, etc. The manned booths are separated from the fair collection and are for the sale of tickets and helping of passengers only. Making TTC employees police who paid the right fare, who jumped what turnstyle etc. is just asking for customer service problems.

I heard once from a TTC manager that booth attendents are basically former drivers who were too drunk/cranky to be trusted behind the wheel anymore. May be a bit of a fib but it explains a lot.

I was going to school taking the subway from Jane to Dundas. I got on at Jane, the trains were packed so there was no seating and little room to stand. I was trying to find a spot to stand so I looked at the ground and saw a few droplets of blood. Little did I know my nose was bleeding pretty heavily and I didn't have anything to stop it with. Nobody offered me a kleenex or napkin so I ripped a page out of my school textbook and used that.

It was pretty embarassing spending the whole 40 minute trip bleeding out of my nose with everybody staring at me. People getting on the train must have been horrified seeing blood by the doors and me in the corner shoving a textbook page up my nose.

So now I always carry some kleenex with me. :D

watching some guy shoot up on a crowded 501 streetcar at noon on a wednesday.

That's amazing.

I take the College car East of Yonge, so I get to see a lot of mentally ill people be mentally ill. It can get awkward, because no one knows whether to acknowledge the behaviour, or ignore it.

Not too long ago, this 30something guy was having a conversation with the woman sitting behind him, only she wanted no part of, and just kind of stared out the window. Every few sentences, he'd clear his throat, and spit on the ground. When the street car was stopped at Church, he loudly declared that there's "way too many fucking faggots in Toronto" and that he hates them, and is thinking of leaving the city. He then mentioned he'd pick up his welfare check first.

It's just one of those things you gotta deal with. The people must have their freedom, and you can't punish them for exhibiting behaviour rooted in their illness. I tend to ignore. This is why I love my iPod!

I take the College car East of Yonge, so I get to see a lot of mentally ill people be mentally ill. It can get awkward, because no one knows whether to acknowledge the behaviour, or ignore it.
Oh those rides can be quite fun; the best one I had (not horrible at all really, just amusing) was with two drunks - who I don't think were even aware of each other. Both were singing away - but never at the same time, as they kept falling asleep! Why would you ever want to drive down that road, with such great entertainment on the streetcar. They all look pretty harmless ... in a scary way.

Not too long ago, this 30something guy was having a conversation with the woman sitting behind him, only she wanted no part of, and just kind of stared out the window. Every few sentences, he'd clear his throat, and spit on the ground. When the street car was stopped at Church, he loudly declared that there's "way too many fucking faggots in Toronto" and that he hates them, and is thinking of leaving the city. He then mentioned he'd pick up his welfare check first.

What political theory would he fall under??? :D:D:D

I fell asleep on the NB Yonge subway at Lawrence, and woke up at Downsview. Nothing happened or anything taken, but it felt as if everyone in the car was staring at me. It was a Sunday morning, so not too many people on the train at the time.

That's amazing.

It's just one of those things you gotta deal with. The people must have their freedom, and you can't punish them for exhibiting behaviour rooted in their illness. I tend to ignore. This is why I love my iPod!

Aw, the idiosyncracies of modern, cosmopolitan urban living. Everyone's welcome whether anyone likes it or not. ;)

Hopefully you fell asleep at Lawrence West rather than Lawrence!

Nope, Lawrence on the Yonge line. I wanted to get off at Finch and catch a Steeles East bus. I always think of that MADD (I think) commercial from awhile ago where the guy is sleeping and he missed his station like 4 times but still made it home safe

Last edited:
I fell asleep on the NB Yonge subway at Lawrence, and woke up at Downsview. Nothing happened or anything taken, but it felt as if everyone in the car was staring at me. It was a Sunday morning, so not too many people on the train at the time.

That is one hardcore case of subway coma! lol

Back