News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Several developers have made favourable submissions on the Parking proposal..........

As has at least one neighbourhood Assoc. (Bloor East)

Several other names I know.......

Oh....and some guy named @allengeorge too!

Step 1

I didn’t get a chance to listen in on how the interim EHON report on multiplexes was received.

So, the parking with passes a few tweaky amendments; nothing that's instantly problematic, but a couple Councillors angling about particular developments in their ward............

The multiplex matter has not been heard as yet, its being held by Bailao

Even if multiplexes are legalized, I think it's an open question how much they'll boost supply. It's not like large developers will go after such peanuts as turning individual SFHs into townhouses; and I imagine most owners are not interested in rebuilding their property from the ground up.

Some of the monster homes would probably be turned into plexes, but there aren't that many of them. Certainly not in the numbers needed to address Toronto's current needs.

I think upzoning arterial fronting lots to 6-10 storeys as of right would be more helpful. Not that I oppose plexes--I filled out the survey in full support.

Even if multiplexes are legalized, I think it's an open question how much they'll boost supply. It's not like large developers will go after such peanuts as turning individual SFHs into townhouses; and I imagine most owners are not interested in rebuilding their property from the ground up.

Some of the monster homes would probably be turned into plexes, but there aren't that many of them. Certainly not in the numbers needed to address Toronto's current needs.

I think upzoning arterial fronting lots to 6-10 storeys as of right would be more helpful. Not that I oppose plexes--I filled out the survey in full support.
Smaller developers would have a chance to compete; I would be surprised if there weren't a large number of owners whose properties could be multiplexes with little change but aren't for zoning units.

Smaller developers would have a chance to compete; I would be surprised if there weren't a large number of owners whose properties could be multiplexes with little change but aren't for zoning units.

I would add, there are many families that would consider this type of subdivision; my own grandmother had the 2nd floor of her home made into its own unit for my parents, who lived there for 4 years before getting their own place; then she rented the unit to her sister.

Multi-generational living is a big thing; but people do want some measure of privacy, their own entrance, their own locks/keys, their own kitchen etc.

Great way to keep 'granny' out of the LTC as well.

I'm happy if that occurs, but I would temper expectations regarding the scale on which it'll be done.

I'm happy if that occurs, but I would temper expectations regarding the scale on which it'll be done.

Even a modest percent gain is pretty material.

There are roughly 850000 detached homes in Toronto's CMA

If just 1% of those add an average of 2 units (triplexing)...........that's 17000 new units.

Have you seen how many "developers" there are who buy post-war bungalows and turn them into huge mansions? Those same developers would pivot into building small multiplexes. I don't know if anybody would build true midrise style buildings. But we have lots of contractors capable of buying up a couple homes and building a 3-8 unit complex.

This thread has me thinking... could this be Toronto's new multiplex vernacular? 😁

221-willowdale-avenue-toronto-C4876375-1.jpg

Source

Agreed. Further to this, what is it with this city and adding density? I understand that multiplexes are a great step forward but why the resistance to 4-8 story buildings made of CLT "as of right" for example? Is it infrastructure not being up to par? Is it just counselors fearing nimbys? Is it neighbourhood "look and feel"?

Back