News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

No one actually cares about neighbourhood "look and feel", or they wouldn't let those monster mansions be built among small post-war bungalows in East York (to give one example).

Lots of people actually object to those; however, they are often permitted anyway.

They can sometimes be built as-of-right, so there is no opportunity to object; other times developers compensate immediate neighbours and/or buy out those properties.

Lots of people actually object to those; however, they are often permitted anyway.

They can sometimes be built as-of-right, so there is no opportunity to object; other times developers compensate immediate neighbours and/or buy out those properties.
So what you're saying is.... we need to allow more density as of right and all will be well :)

So what you're saying is.... we need to allow more density as of right and all will be well :)

While I broadly favour greater as-of-right density, particularly on arterial roads; I was commenting specifically on the McMansion phenomenon which would not really be affected by greater density permissions, at least at the margins.

They already have as-of-right, and/or slip by with CofA permissions.

There's a market for them, so I don't see additional permissions changing much.

At least not the kind one might see in a neighbourhood interior.

Speculative/exaggerated demand driven by ultra low interest rates. It's not a supply problem...

Big new report out from the Toronto Board of Trade.

Proposes to end 'exclusionary' zoning in most areas, province-wide.

Not a new idea; but new that the TBOT is giving it a push.

From the above:

1639494804504.png

1639494828260.png

1639494859848.png

:O They propose a severe tax on the creation of consolidating homes/mcmansions:

1639494925729.png

Last edited:
I am one of them, so I’ll own up to it.

The real third rails in Toronto politics are the EHON changes (multiplex as of right, etc) Changing those would be huge.

Its only up for consultation at this stage, so should sail on.......I'm not sure off-hand when a final report is due back to Council.

If its summer or points beyond...........it will interesting to see which way the political winds are blowing.

Councillor Bradford is backing this with a fair-sized push.

Bradford may face serious headwinds in the election; between the Danforth Bike Lanes and the Housing Now site at Queen Coxwell, the Modular Housing site up on Bracebridge he's got some folks riled in every part of the ward.
He's also got some strong backing......; but if his opponents coalesce around one candidate his re-election could be a challenge.

Bradford may face serious headwinds in the election; between the Danforth Bike Lanes and the Housing Now site at Queen Coxwell, the Modular Housing site up on Bracebridge he's got some folks riled in every part of the ward.
He's also got some strong backing......; but if his opponents coalesce around one candidate his re-election could be a challenge.
Yeah. I’m really worried about his re-election. It’s unfortunate, because he’s been a breath of fresh air, and has really tried to champion a number of urban-friendly causes, even when he knew they would put him in the bullseye.

Yeah. I’m really worried about his re-election. It’s unfortunate, because he’s been a breath of fresh air, and has really tried to champion a number of urban-friendly causes, even when he knew they would put him in the bullseye.

Bradford will be safe. He has the resources of John Tory's team and local Liberal Party machinery. It's tough to defeat an incumbent, and even more-so with fewer wards. I'd bet not a single incumbent running for re-election loses next year.

Not strictly Toronto related, but the Ontario government is running a survey on how to increase housing affordability across the province: https://www.ontario.ca/page/consultation-housing-affordability

I'm not sure I've high hopes here (part of me thinks that they'll take the simplest approach and simply force municipalities to open up more whitebelt for development) but, it's important to try make one's voice heard and advocate for more density and walkable neighbourhoods across the province.

Please fill the survey out! It's only open till Jan 13!

Back