wth, where are the trees on the roof that the render showed? If it opens Aug 31 i would think they'd have those up by now. I'm starting to think they're never going to be. Damn you Shangri-la!

I seem to remember someone posting that they saw trees being lifted to the top a little while back. I could be wrong and am far too lazy to actually check.

I seem to remember someone posting that they saw trees being lifted to the top a little while back. I could be wrong and am far too lazy to actually check.

That was me, and I did indeed see a large bin with some small coniferous trees being hauled up to the roof by the crane. That was several weeks ago.

From this evening:

Podium is looking very classy at night
PlHTF.jpg

and here is a foggy peek inside Bishops Block though the window
8v0xA.jpg

That was me, and I did indeed see a large bin with some small coniferous trees being hauled up to the roof by the crane. That was several weeks ago.

Yes. The trees are currently being stored inside the penthouse area, as there is still ongoing work that requires access to the terraces.

But these trees would be on the private terraces of the two Penthouses. That would then make them their responsibility to maintain. Seems to me, if you just paid 10 million for a two floor penthouse, you would get to pick what foliage graced your terrace.

I always thought the renders with the trees were like "Suggested Serving" pictures on packaged foods. The architect hoped that the owners would choose expensive giant trees for their terraces, but not insist upon them.

5kPb2.jpg

In this plan below, it looks like there is a vegetable garden on the East side terrace. How "100 Mile Diet" and environmentally sound of these penthouse owners.

lCstu.jpg

Last edited:
But these trees would be on the private terraces of the two Penthouses. That would then make them their responsibility to maintain. Seems to me, if you just paid 10 million for a two floor penthouse, you would get to pick what foliage graced your terrace.

Balconies and terraces are usually common element spaces, no? Perhaps if they remain unsold (I don't know what the PH sales status is) the developer has to get something up there.
That's a cool model of one of the units, I've never seen that before. Also, FYI, the PH units have been split into four two-storey units now, unless someone buys two or more and combines them.

I see no reason why the trees wouldn't be there. They did it for the Vancouver Shangri-la penthouse. I seriously doubt these are left to the unit owner to take care...
a7ca16a7-a97a-4dd2-a03a-6ee6f963f037.jpg

Those penthouses are older however. Since the release of the model they doubled the penthouses from 2 to 4. Quarter of the top floor, still huge.

I would think that like any balcony, the terraces are exclusive-use common areas that are governed by the condo's by-laws. There are even examples out there of ground floor condo units with "backyards" that are exclusive-use common areas, and are thus governed and maintained by the condo corp.

??? So are you two implying that every so often, Building Maintenance of the Arbor division, will traipse through my penthouse and muck up my $75,000 hand woven silk rug, to trim some branches???? They have another thing coming!

(Those Terraces are Private spaces. No other building tenant can access them.)

??? So are you two implying that every so often, Building Maintenance of the Arbor division, will traipse through my penthouse and muck up my $75,000 hand woven silk rug, to trim some branches???? They have another thing coming!

Condo staff and repairmen have to access units all the time for maintenance reasons. As long as they give sufficient notice, there's usually no harm done.

LOL, they probably would have to on rare occasions, just as the hot tubs have to be cleaned and maintained - and each of the 4 PH units have one. I doubt most people who can afford to buy one of those amazing units is going to be the type to want to scrub human junk off the interior of their hot tub every weekend!

Condo staff and repairmen have to access units all the time for maintenance reasons. As long as they give sufficient notice, there's usually no harm done.

Very true! In my condo the window cleaners have to go through the penthouse units and mount all their equipment (e.g. cleaning platforms, etc.) on the PH terraces in order to clean all the floors below!

There are to be four Momofuku restaurants (Noodle Bar, Nikai, Daisho, Shoto), but will some (or all) of them be ready in time for TIFF? One would think a new restaurant would need a few weeks for the staff the settle in and for the menus to be refined. But TIFF starts in less than a month.

David Chang tweeted yesterday that the Toronto outpost is 'almost there', as well as this pic of the very shiny kitchen:

https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/davidchang/status/235152000180965376?photo=1

It does seem very ambitious that all 4 will be ready in time for TIFF, but we shall wait and see.

Back