News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Arts? I'm not aware of any arts establishment contemplating to Lebreton. There's no chance a significant performing arts branch is moving it's operation there, and the National and Ottawa galleries aren't either. If the arena isn't built on the flats, zilch. If it were built at Bayview, you likely couldn't see it from anywhere in downtown/Lebreton.

Sutcliffe again obsessing with a CBD arena. All excited now that the Feds announced they will shed 50% of office space through the Country for conversion to residential.

First, not sure he realizes most of the space occupied by the Feds is privately owned. Second, the cost of consolidating enough land and demolishing several large office blocks would probably be around $1 Billion conservatively. With that, you don't even have design work (which is probably mostly done for the LeBreton site), let alone a single shovel in the ground.

He admits the finance part hasn't been considered, but honestly, anyone with basic knowledge of how the World works should know it's not financially viable.

Bayview (or maybe Hurdman) are the only non-LeBreton sites that could work. Full stop.

There really aren't any city blocks between Elgin and Bronson that are wide enough for an arena. Well, if you tore down the eight buildings behind the Lord Elgin, you could jam something the size of Maple Leaf Gardens in that block. Or just possibly at Bay/Slater/Bronson/Laurier, but that's at the edge of the CBD.

Across Elgin is Confederation Park, and then DND HQ across the canal. I think those have already been disposed of as non-starters, but perhaps the mayor thinks he can still strong-arm the feds into sacrificing one of them.

If he has identified a real site that would work with the possibilities of space, time, money, and politics, he should tell someone where it is, rather than continue with what sounds like stir-the-pot nonsense.

This whole thing is ridiculous. Put the damned arena at Lebreton, make an epic walkway along this path, brand Sparks to Elgin the heavily branded new 'Sens Mile', make the crowds want to walk and grab a beer on the way to and from the less busy downtown O-Train stops.

Downtown wins

Lebreton wins

Ottawa wins

Screenshot 2024-04-17 171154.jpg

Screenshot 2024-04-17 171039.jpg

Agreed. A big benefit of putting it here is it really opens up options for entertainment before and after games. You could grab drinks/food in Hintonburg, Little Italy, Chinatown and further into downtown. It becomes impossible to find a table when you only have one entertainment zone nearby...Redblacks games are a good example. Good luck finding a place to eat on Bank St before the game.

I found a website Construct Connect which has a database of construction projects for bidding. I presume the subscription is paid as it provides detailed information for a project. Using the public search filter set to Eastern Ontario I found the following.

Project: Retail stores, Clubs,Community center, Sports Arena/ Convention Center, Condominiums.
Stage: Schematic Design
Value: 333m
Start: March 2025

This could be Lebretton but I think the value is low so maybe Landsdown 2.0.

I found 2 other projects
Mixed use residential at 425m: April 2025
Residential at 1.08b: Sept 2025

LeBreton Flats still ideal site for Senators arena, NCC says
As team presents to board, commission's CEO confident site has everything they want

Arthur White-Crummey · CBC News
Posted: Apr 18, 2024 3:00 PM EDT | Last Updated: 1 hour ago

As negotiations with the Ottawa Senators over an arena drag on, the National Capital Commission (NCC) says LeBreton Flats is still the ideal spot for the team and there are no major roadblocks to reaching a deal.

"We think it's an excellent site," said NCC CEO Tobi Nussbaum on Thursday. "I think the Senators think it's an excellent site."

Nussbaum said the two sides are still meeting on a regular basis, and the NHL club was set to update the NCC board Thursday during a closed-door session.

He said there are "no major sticking points," but the Senators are still ironing out the financial plan to pursue what's expected to be a massively expensive undertaking.

"Obviously, a project like that is a very significant investment of private dollars," said Nussbaum.

"My sense is there is a lot of work underway on their side to determine all the major facets of that. So that, to me, is a very important element of this that is taking time."

The NCC and Senators-led Capital Sports Development Inc. signed a memorandum of understanding in June 2022 toward bringing an arena to the Albert Street site that's currently just west of downtown.

The commission later extended it until this August after Michael Andlauer's ownership group took the club's reins.

Nussbaum said he's hoping to see a lease deal signed by Sept. 1 — though he was clear it's not a do-or-die ultimatum.

"There will be a point at which we'll either have to have a lease or not," said Nussbaum. "I can't say with 100 per cent certainty when that is. Is it in September? I certainly hope so."

But Nussbaum said there is a backup plan for the site, located between Preston Street and City Centre Avenue, that would be focused on a mixed-use development with housing.

Mayor Mark Sutcliffe has previously mentioned the possibility of a downtown arena as part of efforts to revitalize an area hit hard by the federal work-from-home trend.

He appeared to gently refloat that idea following this week's federal budget, when he speculated that the federal government's rush to offload underused properties could open space for major attractions in the downtown core.

"If there's an opportunity to take a piece of land that the federal government doesn't want anymore and have that be the site for an attraction — and an attraction can be a lot of different things, maybe that's an arena and maybe it's not — [then] we need to look at that," said Sutcliffe who did not mention any specific properties while addressing reporters Wednesday.

In Nussbaum's view, the pace of development at LeBreton Flats means the distinction between the area and downtown Ottawa "is really going to disappear over the coming years."

"The Senators are very clear that being in that sector, being in the downtown sector, including LeBreton Flats, offers many different opportunities from [the Canadian Tire Centre in Kanata]," he said.

In a statement to Radio-Canada, the hockey team said it had no updates to offer on its negotiations with the NCC.

LeBreton Flats checks every major box for the Sens, Nussbaum said, including being big enough for the "arena district" the team is looking for and having "extraordinary transit access" with connections to both rail lines through Bayview Station.

Plus, it has easy access to a whole other market on the other side of the river, he added.

"They talk a lot about the advantages of proximity to the city of Gatineau, which opens up, I think, an enlarged market for them," said Nussbaum.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...says-1.7177619

Really annoyed that this thing keeps getting delayed, the goalposts keep moving and all these different sites are being thrown in the air. When did Lebreton Arena and some details / renders first get released? Several years ago... and we still don't even have a signed agreement yet. The only positive note I think is the team was sold, and at a high price, so I would doubt that the new owner paid that much to keep the Sens as-is, in their current arena and current location. We have to presume that some of the inflated value for the franchise came with the development opportunity around a new arena district. Fingers crossed.

June 2022 was when it was announced the Sens had won the bid for the LeBreton parcel. Melnyk was the one who signed off on the Sens putting in the bid, but he passed away before the end of the competition. Between that and the sale of the team, I can understand why we've seen such a delay and movement in the timeline.

I have no doubt Andlauer and company are committed to a new central arena, and I'm pretty confident they still see LeBreton as the place to be. Most of the noise surrounding other locations has been Sutcliffe with his total disregard for the ongoing process and apparent lack of financial logic. Sure the NHL and the Sens have made off the cuff regards about other potential sites, but I think that's mostly a negotiation tactic.

The NCC is able and willing to give the Sens what they need to move forward on LeBreton, including more land. The City, Sutcliffe and Council are the only ones who may derail this deal, either before the agreement is signed, or when it's time to negotiate Municipal participation. I could see Sutcliffe sabotaging negotiations out of spite for the NCC, and if that's the case, his minions will follow suit, and/or the "progressive" Councillors voting against any deal because it's not a "priority", or anti-billionaire stance, even though this issue should not be seen as black or white.

As for the "inflated value", that's just modern professional sports. Andlauer and company paid $950 million for a team, arena and 70 acres of land, the AHL team and Bell Sensplex. Meanwhile, Smith from Salt Lake City just this month paid $1.2 Billion ($200 million of that was the relocation fee) for the NHL team only. I'm not even sure the AHL team came with it.

Sens CEO says LeBreton only site for new arena that they’re ‘serious about’​

Mia Jensen
Mia Jensen
  • April 23, 2024
Cyril
Ottawa Senators president and CEO Cyril Leeder. Photo courtesy Ottawa Senators
Ottawa Senators president and CEO Cyril Leeder said Tuesday that LeBreton Flats is the only site in serious consideration for the hockey club’s new arena.

#LoopBreton? A new home for the Sens is just the start of the vision for these students

1714217920591.pngSarah MacFarlane

An NHL hockey arena might only be the start for LeBreton Flats, if a group of Carleton University students has anything to say about it.

A student-designed concept for the high-profile site breaks all the moulds of traditional Ottawa city-building, and instructor and local architect Jay Lim says he hopes the project will spark “brave and bold ideas.”

Lim is the founder and lead designer of Ottawa-based 25:8 Architecture + Urban Design. He has been teaching at Carleton University’s Azrieli School of Architecture and Urbanism for about 14 years. This year, he’s been teaching a fourth-year architecture design studio course called “25:8 City_Urban Trialities”
This semester, Lim’s students produced a concept so “groundbreaking” that it could inform and inspire current discussions around LeBreton Flats as a site for entertainment, including a potential NHL hockey arena, along with many other activities.

As a six-week exercise in vision and research, Lim challenged his students to design a space that “could be active 25 hours a day, 8 days a week,” drawing on his firm’s ethos that a city can operate beyond the norm.

“For most cities, things have to be separate. Your house is separate from your work, which is separate from play,” explained Lim. “We wanted to combine it all, serving three elements in one building. This class was meant to stimulate that conversation.
1714217872091.png

Glad Sens and NCC are hashing it out and working on it. Getting real sick of Sutcliffe trying to derail it. This arena was ORIGINALLY supposed to be built in 2023, we are lucky to have it in before 2030 at this point.

Back