News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I feel like with attendance back up at CTC now that there is proper talent on the team it makes economic sense for andlauer to squeeze as many years out of Kanata as possible. I guess the joker card, as incentive, is if he is also a developer of arena and surroundings.

Last edited:
Was just wondering to myself whether the massive trinity total revelopment of Lebreton with Melnyk would have been preferable to the way it has turned out - going plot by plot. Would have been sweet to have Lrt buried and a plaza instead. And the skating on the creek beside it. However, not sure it would have been overly high end work from the sole source development.

Last edited:
I think I preferred the RVL proposal site plan, but the skyline look and design will probably be better with the variety this approach will offer.

I think I'm team Bayview. More space to have a central plaza surrounded by different uses. The strip of land that is currently earmarked for them is just that, a very linear strip!

1712696061893.png

Reactions: BGO
Love the diagram! That works for me as well. They could build municipal parking on the Tom Brown Arena site with a green roof and connect it with skybridges to the arena district and the station. Developers could buy out the old buildings like Merkley Supply on the pie lot and build there as well.

C
I've been thinking about this a lot over the past hour. I'm starting to think Bayview works a lot better from a city-building perspective.

I completely disagree. Bayview is further from downtown Ottawa, further from the existing restaurant zones in China Town and on Preston, has less access to mass transit, and is essentially hidden away. Rather than helping LeBreton Flats become an extension of downtown, it's another isolated arena in its own little bubble, just closer than the current one.

C

I completely disagree. Bayview is further from downtown Ottawa, further from the existing restaurant zones in China Town and on Preston, has less access to mass transit, and is essentially hidden away. Rather than helping LeBreton Flats become an extension of downtown, it's another isolated arena in its own little bubble, just closer than the current one.
I don't think of the crummy stumpy mostly dilapidated old office buildings in Downtown as the future 'Downtown', not the one where we can build the centre of Ottawa for the future. I don't see Lebreton/Bayview district ever being a natural extension to downtown, both geographically due to the escarpment, and organically due to the nature of government office towers. I feel LeBreton/Bayview has so much more potential to become the arts & entertainment centre of the city, the magnet for culture and tourism. In that context, Bayview works just fine for the arena. It also has excellent transit access being directly connect to both the East/West and North/South lines, and is walkable to Pimisi during events.

Last edited:
Plus, adding the 'water zone' park that we discussed earlier as well really adds to the entirety of that entertainment zone.

I do like that Bayview concept, and would be glad to see it happen, but I'm still team LeBreton because it's better connected to the rest of the City. More walkable to the Escarpment District, Preston and Hull.

Bayview seems very isolated, not helped with the shear wall that is the Line 1 guideway, the par planned and LeBreton and the unknowns around whether Line 2 might ever get extended to Gatineau. It could be better linked with Wellington West, but not in the same way as LeBreton is to Preston.

And sure the CBD is somewhat dead today, but with the development on the Escarpment along with office conversions and new residential going up within it, it will get livelier within the next decade.

I don't think of the crummy stumpy mostly dilapidated old office buildings in Downtown as the future 'Downtown', not the one where we can build the centre of Ottawa for the future. I don't see Lebreton/Bayview district ever being a natural extension to downtown, both geographically due to the escarpment, and organically due to the nature of government office towers. I feel LeBreton/Bayview has so much more potential to become the arts & entertainment centre of the city, the magnet for culture and tourism. In that context, Bayview works just fine for the arena. It also has excellent transit access being directly connect to both the East/West and North/South lines, and is walkable to Pimisi during events.
I think that you are selling downtown a bit short. In addition to dilapidated office buildings, you do have the parliament buildings and most of Ottawa's iconic views and buildings. You've also got the Market, which is basically impossible to replicate. It is very unlikely that the centre of gravity of the city is ever going to move that far west from, well, the centre of the city. I also don't buy that we are going to build a new arts district based around new condo towers. Haven't seen that work basically anywhere.

For the Sens arena, don't forget that the project will include a practice/community rink (if not more than one), so the footprint is going to be bigger than what an arena alone would require.

Back