News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

From SSP today:

Crude photo I captured today while they blocked off northbound lanes for 5 minutes or so to facilitate construction. Guideway segments are being lifted up right as we speak in the section between the third and fourth northernmost columns in the median of North Road. In other words, as you can see in the image, the guideway is now only two columns away from Foster Ave.

zmyveb.jpg

Vancouver is really getting things done. The Skytrain is the kind of transit people associate with the subway in Toronto--frequent, separated from traffic and with real stations. Canada's third largest metropolis will soon have the nation's longest rapid transit system, even with the Spadina extension included in Toronto's system. Vancouver is a city that works.

Vancouver is really getting things done. The Skytrain is the kind of transit people associate with the subway in Toronto--frequent, separated from traffic and with real stations. Canada's third largest metropolis will soon have the nation's longest rapid transit system, even with the Spadina extension included in Toronto's system. Vancouver is a city that works.

Greater Toronto' s population is 2.5 times that of Vancouver. It is truly embarrassing that Toronto has abandoned grade-separated rapid Transit.

Greater Toronto' s population is 2.5 times that of Vancouver. It is truly embarrassing that Toronto has abandoned grade-separated rapid Transit.
Yeah, if only Toronto had the drive of Vancouver, I bet it could open up 18 km of subway in the next 6 years!

A gantry footing slipped off its support:

I heard on the radio on my way home. Wow! What a hassle! I guess we won't be seeing the guideways at North Road completed by summer... :(

From Global News

gantry1.jpg

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=6604555&postcount=5602

shows how it is supposed to sit on the concrete base.

It appears those snaps show the crane system just two concrete bases north of the failure location.

It's clear that if you want an extensive rapid transit system in your city like in NYC, you have to build elevated lines outside of the core like in NYC. Vancouver has a great elevated system (ironically pioneered here in Ontario) that's cheap and doesn't have a particularly bad effect on the public realm thanks to its compact form.

Video at Lougheed Station from SSP:

In brighter news, there might be hope for Lougheed station not looking like an oversized bus shelter. It appears that instead of glass roofing, they're using sheet metal, which looks like it matches the corrugated metal used for the roof of the existing platform.

Video from this morning

It looked like they poured the concrete sides for the first section of the curved inbound guideway some time today, and you can see in the video that they are adding clips for the running rails to the concrete pieces of the outbound guideway.
Now they just need to move all those tarps so we can see what they've done around that switch...

Steel box girders being erected in downtown Coquitlam:

From SSP July 22, 2014:

Part of girder has been installed on the Pinetree curve.

imagehandler.ashx

http://wcs.pbaeng.com/projects/R1_Transit

The gantry on North Road is moving again, and it looks like now as a precaution against a future similar traffic accident with broken guideway segments causing delays, they've set up a staging area of sorts in the North Road median to have the next segments needed for assembly safely locally on site instead of the 'just in time' delivery all the way from Delta as was happening in the past.

1z35u6f.jpg

2q904uu.jpg

I had to go to Lougheed Town Centre yesterday, so I thought I'd take some pics.

2a9uqu8.jpg

nz3hc8.jpg

lejxy.jpg

1zvsl74.jpg

I believe Monday morning as my train was going in to Lougheed station, they were lifting an escalator into place at the east station house. From the photos above, it looks like both escalators are in place, and someone else mentioned that the escalators in the west station house were already installed.

Video from yesterday, but I don't think it shows anything new and exciting.

Yeah, I think it would have been cast in place.
It's the transition tunnel - on the south end of the bored tunnel.
The open area in front of it is probably going to be the TBM extraction pit.
Likewise, on the north end of the bored tunnel, there's a tunnel under a roadway that was also cast in place.

From SSP:

Photos of the gantry crane area on July 31. They are about to start on moving the crane above Cameron Street yesterday afternoon.

qEtkgf4.jpg

TLAcStg.jpg

I'm assuming it should be setup above Cameron Street today and the guideway segments to be all lifted by tomorrow to be dried up over the long weekend. Hopefully they should reach Cochrane by the end of next week. Maybe a month to go before Gatineau Place after that?

Definitely will go onto September to finish the North Road guideway despite the 24 hour work schedule (assuming no more hiccups).

Back