8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bikes vs. Cars Documentary coming to Toronto this Friday
This Friday, July 31, acclaimed Swedish Director Fredrik Gertten’s new documentary Bikes vs. Cars will be screened at the Bloor Hot Docs Cinema.

The film travels around the world to look at how different bike metropolises work and what cycling activists are doing to try to improve cycling int heir city. The film features such cities as Mumbai, Sao Paulo, Copenhagen, Bogota, Toronto (and many more!); specifically focusing on Toronto’s cycling situation during Rob Ford’s time as Mayor of the city. The film will give Torontonians the rare chance to see how Toronto compares to other cities when it comes to cycling infrastructure.

http://dandyhorsemagazine.com/blog/...rs-documentary-coming-to-toronto-this-friday/

Do you think cops shooting unarmed blacks is nearly as big an issue here as it is in the US? I haven't looked at the numbers.

Read some US sources like DemocracyNow.com or The Real News Network (out of Baltimore) with cops killing unarmed black men, women and children. In the States, at least now, some of the cops are being charged - when's the last time that happened here? (In the States there seems to be a rash of 3 year olds getting the gun out of mommy's purse and blowing the parents away - go figure.)

While you're at it look at incarceration rates. So many folks getting locked up for BS that Obama, with the support of Republicans and even the Kochs (yes, those Kochs), is releasing non-violent offenders who've served way too long. California had to release like about a third of their prison population recently because it was going to bankrupt the state keeping them locked up. And we've got Harper with his mandatory minimums pushing judges and juries to refuse to convict in some cases here! Nevermind comparing Trump to Ford; more in common with Harper if you get over the flamboyance factor.

In the Star article a lot of the comments cited some uncredited stats that Blacks were 3% of Toronto's population but 10% of incarcerations. I wanted to ask them if that means that Whites made up the other 90% and do they fear the epidemic of white on white crime. Lies, damned lies & statistics! Seems to me that white men, however, make up 100% of serial killers in Canada.

So if Fantino was chief during the crack scandal, how do you think he would've handled it? I bet he would've covered for him to protect the conservative brand.

Here's something that hasn't come out. Early into Ford's term as mayor he was trying to oust Blair. The plan was to buy out his contract. Things fell through though, perhaps because of how costly it would've been. So when Blair discovered something on Ford it's no wonder he was like a dog with a bone!

Back to racial issues... The police union president was on the radio a few weeks ago. He suggested Desmond Cole, the guy who was supposedly stopped by police 50 times for no reason, come forward with more info about these encounters so they can look into them. It seemed like he was challenging him because he thought he was lying. Do you guys buy Cole's story? Purely anecdotal but I asked a guy I know--a big, tough looking black guy from a rough neighbourhood--if he's ever been randomly stopped. He said yes, but only a couple of times. But Cole, a harmless looking little guy with fairly well off parents (both nurses), has been stopped 50 TIMES?? Does anyone else wonder if he's greatly embellished his story to try to make a name for himself? If that was the plan it's worked!

[Qunite jimmi T, post: 1025056, member: 13238"]Back to racial issues... The police union president was on the radio a few weeks ago. He suggested Desmond Cole, the guy who was supposedly stopped by police 50 times for no reason, come forward with more info about these encounters so they can look into them. It seemed like he was challenging him because he thought he was lying. Do you guys buy Cole's story? Purely anecdotal but I asked a guy I know--a big, tough looking black guy from a rough neighbourhood--if he's ever been randomly stopped. He said yes, but only a couple of times. But Cole, a harmless looking little guy with fairly well off parents (both nurses), has been stopped 50 TIMES?? Does anyone else wonder if he's greatly embellished his story to try to make a name for himself? If that was the plan it's worked![/QUOTE]

Back to racial issues... The police union president was on the radio a few weeks ago. He suggested Desmond Cole, the guy who was supposedly stopped by police 50 times for no reason, come forward with more info about these encounters so they can look into them. It seemed like he was challenging him because he thought he was lying. Do you guys buy Cole's story? Purely anecdotal but I asked a guy I know--a big, tough looking black guy from a rough neighbourhood--if he's ever been randomly stopped. He said yes, but only a couple of times. But Cole, a harmless looking little guy with fairly well off parents (both nurses), has been stopped 50 TIMES?? Does anyone else wonder if he's greatly embellished his story to try to make a name for himself? If that was the plan it's worked!
I do not doubt him one bit. Respectability is not armour against racism.

I think he has been stopped, just like a lot of people but reading his story I think his father set him up to feel like a second class citizen. Desmond has to get out from under that belief and be equal not argue why others are taking away his equality.

Jermaine Carby, the man shot dead by Peel police last fall, had amphetamine, methamphetamine, marijuana and traces of an anti-depressant in his system at the time of his death, according to a coroner’s toxicology report.

But Carby’s cousin, La Tanya Grant, who allowed CityNews to view the report, said the 33-year-old did not deserve to die, regardless of his intoxication level.

“Because someone doesn’t take their meds, or someone does take recreational drugs… it doesn’t mean they should be killed,” said Grant. “We had the mayor who was on drugs but he was still operating in his office. He was not shot dead.”
http://www.680news.com/2015/07/29/m...d-suffering-from-mental-illness-coroner-says/

Good to see some people have not forgotten. And she's right.

JWB025145 said:
Total SNAFU, heads should roll on this case, the Mental unit should have been called in the very least. I do disagree with a resemblance with Robbie, too many differences to make such a comparison.
Barely any resemblace at all. Young poor black disposable. Middle aged rich white famous. Both drug users both mental health patients who would you shoot?

Apparently RoFo sent out a press release taking credit for the airport tunnel. No time to post links but I saw it on Twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back