News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

KW is the smallest city in North America to have a light rail line. Even the extension to Cambridge is rather overkill if you ask me.. two lines would be a long, long way off.

If I recall correctly Edmonton and Calgary weren't super far off in terms of population when they built their lines.

they were around 50% larger, around 750,000 people. KWC is just above 500,000, and is way smaller when you consider that the LRT essentially doesn't do anything for Cambridge.

Census data on population and dwelling counts will be released on February 8, 2017. We'll see the growth, and maybe estimate the population numbers in the years and decades to come.

What? No. Are you trolling?

More stops. More vehicles. Significantly more riders. This is more like the Confederation Line.

What I mean is that this is all this area will see for the forcible future. The O-Train started in 2001. So, it is 15 years since it started. Confederation line will not open for revenue service in 2018.

So, what I mean is that it will likely not be expanded for a really long time due to the fact that there is no real need for any future extensions.

What I mean is that this is all this area will see for the forcible future.

Phase 2 would come next.

The O-Train started in 2001. So, it is 15 years since it started. Confederation line will not open for revenue service in 2018.

So, what I mean is that it will likely not be expanded for a really long time due to the fact that there is no real need for any future extensions.

This line achieves most of the region's major transit goals for decade. So why would any other project be needed (other than planned Phase 2)? If Ottawa had LRT instead of BRT (with the Transitway) at the beginning, you wouldn't be talking about needing additional projects either.

Ok, this now sounds like Edmonton's LRT. The first line was constructed in 1978. Although there were extensions, it was not till 2015 that a second line was built.

Really, I am trying to understand why it is building the line when most others are not willing to. The population of RM of Waterloo is about 500,000

Really, I am trying to understand why it is building the line when most others are not willing to. The population of RM of Waterloo is about 500,000

Because the Region of Waterloo has been thinking about land use and limiting sprawl for decades, to the extent that the Places to Grow legislation is drawn from planning work there. While the Regional Official Plan (after OMB battles against developers) will have a stick to enforce a countryside line, the LRT project is a carrot to entice development to happen in the central urban corridor - and to provide the transportation capacity for that growth once it does. I know it's surprising, but the short answer is because this region has an interest in being proactive.

KW is the smallest city in North America to have a light rail line. Even the extension to Cambridge is rather overkill if you ask me.. two lines would be a long, long way off.

What does the size of the city have to do with the type or level of transit service that it provides?

If the ridership is there to support an LRT line, build an LRT line. Or hell, build 2.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

According to the 2011 census, the former City of York (now amalgamated into Toronto) had a population of 133,361. Yet they are building an underground LRT, with seven stations, from Mount Dennis Station to Forest Hill Station and continuing east into some former city named "Toronto".

Even a former borough, named "East York", with a 2011 census population of 115,365, is getting an underground LRT from Leaside Station to Laird Station (two stations) and an open stop at Sunnybrook Park.

So why shouldn't Kitchener/Waterloo get a LRT?

(BTW. The City of London England has a population of 7,375. I understand they might have some sort of underground railway as well.)

According to the 2011 census, the former City of York (now amalgamated into Toronto) had a population of 133,361. Yet they are building an underground LRT, with seven stations, from Mount Dennis Station to Forest Hill Station and continuing east into some former city named "Toronto".

Even a former borough, named "East York", with a 2011 census population of 115,365, is getting an underground LRT from Leaside Station to Laird Station (two stations) and an open stop at Sunnybrook Park.

So why shouldn't Kitchener/Waterloo get a LRT?

(BTW. The City of London England has a population of 7,375. I understand they might have some sort of underground railway as well.)

Lets look less at the city, but at the surroundings as well. Toronto is a large city, even though York is small.

Just like the City of London is small, Greater London is huge.

The region of Waterloo is quite isolated. It is surrounded by farmland.

Even Toronto has several cities surrounding it.

Norfolk VA has a population of 246,139 and has an LRT line. Milwaukee has 600,000 and getting a line. Durham NC has 245,475 and has a line. Tucson has an line for 526,116.

El Paso Texas has 681,124 and getting a PCC line. Kenosha has 99,900 and has a PCC line. Oklahoma City has 1.3 million and getting a line. Kansas City has 2,037,357 that open a starter line in May and planing extension now. Cincinnati has 2,172,191 that saw a line open in September.

Size means nothing if a town or city wants one.

Back