News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

During the Q&A session at the San Francisco global flagship opening, Angela Ahrendts said the new "global flagship" concept will reach around 15 or 20 major cities. Angela specifically mentioned Toronto as one of the cities.

She also mentioned cities with global flagships will feature smaller "satellite" locations surrounding that store, that won't have all the new features of a flagship store (A rumored Union Station store, and a new Eaton Centre location).

For a store to be a global flagship, they must have unique store features such as "the boardroom" and "the garden" featured in the new SF store. From a design perspective, The One might be able to fit this type of store quite nicely, with a small outdoor area too.

I've been having trouble confirming this. Where did you hear it? If true, that's breaking news in Toronto retail circles, but nobody has heard anything.

Old style Apple Stores are undergoing an overnight renovation to the new look world wide. Given that the BCBG store next to Apple Eaton Centre is closing soon, I think that it'll be a big hint that Apple might be waiting to expand into that space if Eaton Centre isn't one of the stores that gets tonight's overnight reno.

I was there just before closing time and nothing that big seemed to be imminent. Customers at other stores around the world that now have black curtains up, noticed low stock and a large number of staff at the end of the day. Anybody at Yorkdale today?

img_0172.jpg

9to5Mac

Old style Apple Stores are undergoing an overnight renovation to the new look world wide. Given that the BCBG store next to Apple Eaton Centre is closing soon, I think that it'll be a big hint that Apple might be waiting to expand into that space if Eaton Centre isn't one of the stores that gets tonight's overnight reno.

I was there just before closing time and nothing that big seemed to be imminent. Customers at other stores around the world that now have black curtains up, noticed low stock and a large number of staff at the end of the day. Anybody at Yorkdale today?

img_0172.jpg

9to5Mac
The photo is of the Apple Store in Marlton, NJ.

The photo is of the Apple Store in Marlton, NJ.

I know. There was a report of Apple Stores worldwide getting overnight renovations to move to the new look. This is one of them.

Apple Store Eaton Centre wasn't one of them. It kept the old look. Makes you wonder if they have something more dramatic in the pipeline for that store.

I know. There was a report of Apple Stores worldwide getting overnight renovations to move to the new look. This is one of them.

Apple Store Eaton Centre wasn't one of them. It kept the old look. Makes you wonder if they have something more dramatic in the pipeline for that store.

Most of the Apple Store's got the new look last night. From the store I visited today, it's not a major change to the concept. It's more of a "refresh" of the accessory walls with the new "Avenue" concept. So the accessory walls are now separated by photography, music, art, etc

The black Genius Bar stools are also gone, in favor of the new stools found in the new concept stores.

Most of the Apple Store's got the new look last night. From the store I visited today, it's not a major change to the concept. It's more of a "refresh" of the accessory walls with the new "Avenue" concept. So the accessory walls are now separated by photography, music, art, etc

The black Genius Bar stools are also gone, in favor of the new stools found in the new concept stores.

Which one did you visit? Any indication that Apple Eaton Centre got this treatment? If not, then it's an indication that they're planning a bigger rebuild or relocation for that store. There were reports of that store delaying renovations last year.

In this interview, Angela Ahrendts, Apple's VP of Retail confirms that stores that didn't receive an overnight refresh will be replaced by an all new Apple Store over the next 12 months:

https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/slideshow/embed_code/key/xWG8BxNLcexD1F

"All the stores that will not be replaced in the next 12 months, will undergo this overnight refresh".

That I know of, only Sherway received these overnights refreshes. Eaton Centre did not. So I think Angela Ahrendts just confirmed it: Apple Eaton Centre will be replaced within the next 12 months with a new Apple Store.

EDIT: Checked Yorkdale. It did not receive the refresh either. This location is perfect for a total rebuild in the new outdoors/inside style given the height of the ceilings and just the massive size of the store. I'd expect them to install a large display in the back wall and trees inside the store within the next year.

Last edited:
It better be within twelve months.

Ahrendts could be sneaky though if the Eaton Centre location were replaced 364 days later.

The BCBG next door is closing. They could double the size of the Apple Store while staying in that location that they seem to like so much. I'd prefer the corner of Queen and Yonge once it's restored to brick.

7594-72145.jpeg

Work on 2 Queen West is actually about to start so the timeline might work.

Back