News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Thanks. I wonder if the reporter wrote it that way ("The future mobility hub will be a transit hub for the Crosstown LRT line, expected to open in 2021, plus a GO Transit/UPX station, and the TTC’s 15-bay bus terminal.") without actually getting a quote or confirmation from Metrolinx. It seems to be how the reporter portrayed the station, rather than a direct quote from Metrolinx promising UP Express would stop there: "

Actually, the Crosstown web site confirms this.

- Paul

Some pictures and updates from Metrolinx’s Scarborough-Markham Part I (Sheppard to Steeles) construction. For those who are a fan on concrete ties, see below.

Work Performed/Construction Activities:
  • Taking spoiled soil out of the McNicoll yard
  • Day lighting utilities at Steeles Avenue crossing in preparation of weekend grade crossing works for new south track
  • Saw cut asphalt in the grade crossing area of Steeles Avenue to be excavated during weekend work
  • Mobilizing sub-drain pipes at Steeles Avenue crossing to install them in order to connect with existing sub-drains on both sides of the crossing
  • Placed concrete ties to the east side of the track during night shift in order to build skeleton south track in between Steeles Avenue and Kennedy road.
  • Installing pandrol clips to hold rail with ties in between Steeles Avenue and Kennedy road crossings.
Work Scheduled for This Week:
  • Dewatering
  • Installation activities for bungalow at McNicoll Avenue crossing
  • Pre-ballasting in between Passmore and Steeles Avenue
  • Double handling of ties and rail
  • Skeleton track construction in between Kennedy road and Steeles Avenue

2zh0kjE

2BAfS87

2l24yGu

2BOVdKr

Barrie Line double tracking update from yesterday (Tues Dec 26). The second track between York U and Rutherford is complete and operational. Trains are actually using the new west track in both directions, leaving the pre-existing east track unused.

I knew the new concrete-tied segments would provide a smoother, quieter ride based on the short segments of the east track that were upgraded, but wow is it ever smooth and quiet! Truly luxurious. The line further south felt like riding a cart on cobblestone in comparison.

Here's the status of double-tracking along the line, showing completed (green) and under construction (amber) segments.
Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 09.44.14.png

It's not though, as the grading between those two stations won't be done until the contractor for the whole works will be done. Hell, they haven't even graded the area through either station for the second tracks.

If you're going to argue that, why don't you also argue for Downsview Park Station, which has the grading and a short section of the second platform done?

Realistically it's silly to argue for either as neither section will be done in advance of the rest of the corridor in any case. While the corridor is likely to be opened in stages, that kind of decision is likely to be taken by the winner of the tender.

I was just using the 'under construction' label to indicate any active construction work to prepare the line for double track, whether or not the particular contract will actually result in two sets of rails at the end of it. The reconstructions of Maple and Rutherford stations came about specifically because they need a second platform (and pedestrian tunnels etc) to serve the second track. Downsview Park was listed as 'under construction' on my map until last week, but now it is blank because there is no work actively going on to move the line toward double track. But you're certainly right that the segment between Rutherford and Maple can't be considered 'under construction' so I've removed it now.

On that note, I've heard about the expansions of Rutherford, Maple and Aurora, but I haven't heard anything about King City. Did I miss something?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 09.44.14.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 09.44.14.png
    383.3 KB · Views: 348
Nice video! One interesting thing I noticed....the switch at the north end of the doubletrack appears to be an equilateral switch, and the signal governing northward movements from the east track does not have multiple colours available in the middle target. At Steeles, and at Milliken on the Uxbridge sub, and at various points on the Weston Sub, the planned additional track is already 'roughed in' into the interlocking plant with the full eventual crossover design present, but not used. Here, the control point is likely temporary. As doubletrack is pushed further north, there likely won't be a need for this control point....the final set of dual crossovers will be further north somewhere. ML must have specified the equilateral design so that trains on either track can proceed at 'full' speed. That's not too shabby.

- Paul

Barrie Line double tracking update from yesterday (Tues Dec 26). The second track between York U and Rutherford is complete and operational. Trains are actually using the new west track in both directions, leaving the pre-existing east track unused.
Great video. I like the commentary.

Nice video! One interesting thing I noticed....the switch at the north end of the doubletrack appears to be an equilateral switch, and the signal governing northward movements from the east track does not have multiple colours available in the middle target. At Steeles, and at Milliken on the Uxbridge sub, and at various points on the Weston Sub, the planned additional track is already 'roughed in' into the interlocking plant with the full eventual crossover design present, but not used. Here, the control point is likely temporary. As doubletrack is pushed further north, there likely won't be a need for this control point....the final set of dual crossovers will be further north somewhere. ML must have specified the equilateral design so that trains on either track can proceed at 'full' speed. That's not too shabby.

- Paul

Unless something changed in the past month, it's a standard #20 RH switch. And yes, it is temporary, as there isn't scheduled to be an interlocking there when the corridor gets double-tracked.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Unless something changed in the past month, it's a standard #20 RH switch. And yes, it is temporary, as there isn't scheduled to be an interlocking there when the corridor gets double-tracked.

Dan, any idea where that next crossover installation might be planned for?

- Paul

Not sure if this is the switch you're referring to, but the switch south of Rutherford is definitely a normal asymmetrical switch, with the thru route being the east (future northbound) track. The turnout speed is presumably 45 mph, which is faster than southbound trains would be going anyway given that it's right outside Rutherford station.

That explains why it looked like an equilateral - hard to tell what the train was doing going over it. my bad!

- Paul

@crs1026 @smallspy @reaperexpress @Allandale25 @DonValleyRainbow
There are now passing sidings, but not enough yet to get trains passing through against the peak flow. The second track is needed at Downsview Park, as well as at the Davenport Diamond, to make a minimal counter-peak train service possible.

Building more passing tracks gives Metrolinx the justification too, then, to close down York U station.

this is the plan to close the gap on the barrie line right? how are they going to fit the track at the davenport diamond?

Back