News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The city approves countless skyscrapers on every tiny side street at Yonge and Eglinton, yet apposed a single 27 storey tower right at Dundas and Bloor, directly across the street from the two 30 storey monstrosities of the Crossways that have been there since the 70's. Go figure.

The city approves countless skyscrapers on every tiny side street at Yonge and Eglinton, yet apposed a single 27 storey tower right at Dundas and Bloor, directly across the street from the two 30 storey monstrosities of the Crossways that have been there since the 70's. Go figure.
I thought that was all in the air still.

And with the coming changes to the OMB, the city will have even more control over transit station areas.

I thought that was all in the air still.

He's referring to the Giraffe building, which was denied by the OMB more than seven years ago.

There are plenty of projects in the works in this area though, including the major projects in the south of Bloor on either side of the Kitchener corridor. There aren't going to be a ton of 25+ story towers, but a lot of infill density which should go a long way to transforming the area.

Spacing had an update just before Christmas.

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2017/12/1...ion-overshadows-other-important-transit-news/

It reported they are tendering the second tunnel now, and the whole thing should be finished in a couple of years.
I am a bit confused (generally so...but specifically about this "2nd Tunnel".

Is it really a "second tunnel" or just an easterly extension of the first tunnel? Maybe I read things wrong but I read that spacing article as suggesting there would be a second connection to Dundas West station....but given where Randolph is....I would guess what is really being RFPd here is a tunnel under the GO/UP tracks at Randolph....that tunnel would lead to the existing tunnel(s) under the platforms that would, in turn, lead to the tunnel being proposed/built through Crossways to the TTC station.

They were looking at two options back in 2011.

Option 1:
Dundas West 1.jpg

Dundas West 2.jpg

Option 2:
Dundas West 3.jpg

Dundas West 4.jpg

They probably have been changes or updates since then.

Attachments

• Dundas West 2.jpg
    Dundas West 2.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 1,648
  • Dundas West 1.jpg
    Dundas West 1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 812
  • Dundas West 3.jpg
    Dundas West 3.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 807
  • Dundas West 4.jpg
    Dundas West 4.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 869
The existing tunnel is south of Randolph, it's about halfway between Randolph and Bloor. That tunnel is lined up nicely to connect to Dundas West Station. However, it's currently accessed from the platforms, and the eastern-most platform is accessed directly from the railpath. Once they add the extra track between the railpath and the eastern-most platform, they'll need a tunnel from the railpath to the access the platforms. They've been saying that new tunnel will be built at Randolph, I assume because there's extra space there to build an entrance, including an elevator, and still fit the railpath around it.

The question I don't know the answer to is whether that tunnel will then jog south and connect to the existing tunnel, or whether it will be an entirely separate tunnel only connecting the railpath to the platforms. This would force customers accessing Dundas West station from the railpath to go under, come back up to a platform, and then go under again. This would also mean constructing at least one extra elevator, so I'd think that if it's physically possible they'd connect the Randolph tunnel entrance to the existing tunnel.

There will of course be an exit from the east end of the Dundas West platform to lead to these tunnels of course.

Frankly, there's aspects to that station I don't understand, having only walked to the platforms off Bloor Street. I was talking to someone the other day, who said they'd never use it again, and was complaining that they came from the airport, and the signage seemed to point north, and they ended up following some path in the middle of nowhere past the a No Thrills or something to walk to the subway station. I thought now that temporary walkway, which I only ever saw from a passing streetcar, was gone with the new construction that there was no other way from the subway to Bloor Station.

And yeah, I've seen that Option 1/Option 2 map. Where's a map of the actual station? Thanks GO. These are the same clowns that suggested getting from Danforth to Main Street station by using Dawes Road and Guest Avenue. Yeah, because there's only three 8-foot high chainlink fences to climb.

Someone has to tell those idiots that they should actually go out and look at things, rather than using Google Maps.

I'm amazed Google still hasn't fixed this. BTW, this is the reason that the signage in Main Station says it's a 10-minute walk to Danforth Station - but neither TTC nor GO will admit it.

upload_2018-1-8_1-28-39.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-8_1-28-39.png
    upload_2018-1-8_1-28-39.png
    254.3 KB · Views: 1,113

Back