4.7K     0 

Circus......1925
No mention of location......Toronto?
Circus 1925.jpg

Attachments

• Circus 1925.jpg
    Circus 1925.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 754
From http://www.circushistory.org/Routes/Ringling19.htm#1928 one can see that Ringling Brothers were in Toronto on July 2, 1928 (and in Hamilton on 3rd). I suspect held on Ex Grounds but ....

Transparent William was a Ringling Brothers 'regular". He appeared, in 1921, in Richmond Virginia where the Richmond Times Dispatch said:

Attachments

• TW1.JPG
    TW1.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 403
  • TW2.JPG
    TW2.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
Prince of Wales at microphone City Hall Aug. 6 1927
Prince of Wales at microphone City Hall Aug. 6 1927.jpg

Audience for Prince of Wales Aug. 6 1927
Audience for Prince of Wales Aug. 6 1927.jpg

Attachments

• Prince of Wales at microphone City Hall Aug. 6 1927.jpg
    Prince of Wales at microphone City Hall Aug. 6 1927.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 455
  • Audience for Prince of Wales Aug. 6 1927.jpg
    Audience for Prince of Wales Aug. 6 1927.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 690
Hey all, want to help me with some research? I'm trying to find the location of this totem pole on the Ontario Place grounds. It was one of 11 totems B.C. donated to the provinces, territories and Ottawa in 1971 for its Confederation Centennial celebrations. I've been trying to locate the original and/or current locations of these totems and this is one of the last I haven't found yet. I think it was on the East Island but that's all I can find. Hopefully this photo will help jog some memories too.

Ontario Place Totem.jpg

Attachments

• Ontario Place Totem.jpg
    Ontario Place Totem.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 890
C.N.E. new eastern entrance 1927
View attachment 137587
From Wiki:

ThePrinces' Gatesis (a triumphal arch) monumental gateway at Exhibition Place in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It was built to commemorate the 60th anniversary of Canadian confederation and was to be named The Diamond Jubilee of Confederation Gates. The structure's name was changed when it was learned that Edward, Prince of Wales and Prince George were travelling to Toronto. The princes cut the ribbon on the structure on August 30, 1927.

princes gates.JPG

Attachments

• princes gates.JPG
    princes gates.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 592
Thanks for that reference to the "Diamond Jubilee of Confederation," DSC.
A Jubilee Parade was held on July 1 1927.........here's the reviewing stand. So much, in those days, was emphasized by the slogan: "King and Country."
Jubilee Parade reviewing stand group July 1 1927.jpg

Attachments

• Jubilee Parade reviewing stand group July 1 1927.jpg
    Jubilee Parade reviewing stand group July 1 1927.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 492
Would be the equivalent of having Prince William and Prince Harry (and wives?) coming for an opening.

Attachments

• IMG_1476.jpg
    IMG_1476.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 589
Bloor St. W. - 1928 - Madison Theatre (in the background) is now The Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema at Bathurst
Bloor St. W. 1928- Madison Theatre now The Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema at Bathurst.jpg

Attachments

• Bloor St. W. 1928- Madison Theatre now The Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema at Bathurst.jpg
    Bloor St. W. 1928- Madison Theatre now The Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema at Bathurst.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 521
Hey all, want to help me with some research? I'm trying to find the location of this totem pole on the Ontario Place grounds. It was one of 11 totems B.C. donated to the provinces, territories and Ottawa in 1971 for its Confederation Centennial celebrations. I've been trying to locate the original and/or current locations of these totems and this is one of the last I haven't found yet. I think it was on the East Island but that's all I can find. Hopefully this photo will help jog some memories too.

View attachment 137574

That's very interesting. Are the other 10 totem poles still in their original locations? Have you contacted Ontario Place Corporation about Ontario's totem?

I may be no help at all but I have a vague recollection of totems being on display at the ROM in the late 70s, early 80s.

Back