News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

no problem about the video- I think however that its probably already a little outdated...nonetheless, it gives you a good idea as to how things will be- which from the looks of it are shaping up really well

p5

^Do you have something in mind?

I suspect that if we were to get a curvy billowing Gehry structure, the skin of the building would be left without a budget so we'd end up with a nice structure with crappy cladding.

Well, that's where Gehry and a creative solution come in. Wood and glass would've been interesting.

I think this is one of those instances that a boxy structure was made to look beautiful by:

a) It's not just a box. It's a a "T" shaped building hovering over the Grange with an interesting glazing treatment.

I suppose a box is never just a box...but that's pretty much what it is.

b) The gorgeous spiraling cantilevered stair case emerging from the glass and the spiral staircases on each side of the Grange House.

The stairs are great but I think they look kind of ridiculous just hanging off the box. Not a huge fan.

c) That blue cladding is going to be an awesome attraction from all the way down John St. and from around around the park.

I hope so. But ultimately it's a box clad in titanium. The exterior to me is just kind of a mish-mash...I think it could've been much better.

I'm really looking forward to going inside though.

I drove by at night. I have to say that even with all the lights off and the glass not yet all installed, the AGO "shield" looked gorgeous reflecting the muted lights of Dundas st.

It became obvious that once the long continuous arcade below the shield, lit up will give the shield a floating appearance.

Yeah, yeah, talk about shields with floating appearances
29108_000bz202.jpg

You know what's funny? Gehry's interpretation of the AGO's Dundas façade is very reminiscent of Barton Myers' AGO barn front but in a much more sophisticated way.

In a way, I think Gehry is finishing Myers' work which wasn't completed due to budget cuts.

Great Pictures Current!

Is anyone else reminded of the early 2000's when hairstyles favored a small (or large) flip at the front when looking at Gehry's addition?

It's simply an incredible colour to have chosen. Imagine peering up at the wall through the Walker Court's skylight - it will always looks like there's a bright blue sky above. This building is going to be incredibly prominent once it is all complete and shiny and new, and love it or hate it, it is going to knock people's socks off.

Can't wait for the postcards showing aerial views of AGehryO and OCAlsopD around Grange Park.

Do people still buy postcards? I don't think I've seen any, with updated views of our grand skyline, since the late-'90s.

The Regulation Government of Ontario Blue Cladding will make the building disappear on days when the Government of Ontario orders up a matching Regulation Government of Ontario Blue Sky.

I'm looking forward to the ceremonial "piss" by the workers which will accelerate the oxidation process, turning it a lovely green.

Or maybe that only works with copper... must investigate.

In any case, if this spectacular colour can't be changed, we can focus on the "boxiness" to maintain our equilibrium.

It looks greenish from the angle the webcam is capturing. Looking at it straight on reveals a very deep blue. It's quite amazing actually.

Once it's all up, the entire building will have this gradient of deep blue to teal which will change depending on your perspective.

The skin of a building is perhaps the one single aspect of a building that can either make it a beauty or a monster.

The ROM and the 4SC both have learned that the hard way unfortunately.

Back