News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Nice presentation Metro. Great ideas. I'd love to see some sculptures in there too. I'm sure AGO/OCAD have something to contribute. A student project stage/podium with rotating work in there could be interesting as well. And how about a cafe in the summer? Maybe on the north-west side close to the AGO.
Back to construction: It looks like they've taken down (one of?) the supply elevators and are closing it in.
2249849059_6eef76e816.jpg

I agree with adma about the need to avoid the current fashion for overdesigning and overprogramming every public space. A park that's about passive enjoyment, rather than catering to the "entertain me" mentality, might work best here. This is, after all, architecture central with plenty of distracting eye candy.

I wish Ganja'. I put my plan together taking into consideration that it's doable and realistic. I doubt you can justify misplacing all those people to simply keep the space green.

As for making the park very formal, it may look nice but remember that the NIMBY's need to be satisfied. Taking away the park's dog walking and grass lounging uses will no doubt infuriate this "Insane Clown Posse" (LOL! Thanks for that reference 42, it was hilarious!).

I do agree that sculptures should be scattered about the park and a restaurant/café would work well. Perhaps the second Grange house (the one with the smaller circle path in front) could host that restaurant.

I say we licence the whole damn thing and turn it into a big bar. Puppies and children can go somewhere else.

"I agree with adma about the need to avoid the current fashion for overdesigning and overprogramming every public space."

This is definately not a problem in Toronto. Most of our parks are almost totally informal or put another way neglected, shabby, containing little design and limited programming. Please someone overdesign and overprogram!

In my concept, I emphasize well manicured lawns and nice paving and I don't think that makes it overdesigned. In fact, I left many elements out such as sculptures and fountains which I think can be proposed by the others (which is happening). I intentionally didn't want to over design it.

I also placed the grass stepped amphitheatre there as a tool for improvised cultural events. Students can go down there and play their instrument and perhaps attract a few people sitting on the steps. On the other hand, organized groups can program nightly plays or lunch time concerts.

I think that Grange Park can become the informal "wing" of the AGO open to the community to program themselves.

I'd love to see what others can think up. Perhaps we can have a little competition then send it to the local councillor there (Adam Vaughan?), the AGO and the head of the neighborhood association.

My point about avoiding overdesign has more to do with a touch of heritage-landscape-consciousness relative to Grange Park as a forecourt to the Grange. Like, before going too far, maybe read some literature on Upper Canadian manor homes and their settings, etc...

It has nothing to do with NIMBYism. And it can be managed even with a spiral-staired titanium gargantua looming in the rear...

Titanium can be anodized for different colours without dyes. Aluminum requires a dye, so there's another reason to appreciate titanium. This goes back to a previous enquiry of mine.

You can get a few shades of green too. Picture St. Patrick Station with titanium panels. It would be a subtle link to the AGO.

Titanium can be anodized for different colours without dyes. Aluminum requires a dye, so there's another reason to appreciate titanium. This goes back to a previous enquiry of mine.

You can get a few shades of green too. Picture St. Patrick Station with titanium panels. It would be a subtle link to the AGO.
wow. i think that would be amazing

Yeah, that's a great idea for the station re-do, but I can't see the TFC/TTC spending that kind of cash on the station walls alone. Titanium doesn't come cheap.

A more financially feasible solution would be to add glulam beams along the tunnel creating the ribbed visual of AGO's Dundas façade.

I do like your idea of the titanium panels... maybe aluminum panels could still work and come within the TFC/TTC's budget.

Photos taken February 9, more blue titanium has been installed on the east side of the "box".

2253287375_78f0c840ee_b.jpg

The blue titanium is reflective and it does not look as dark from this angle.
2253287379_103a443352_b.jpg

2253301365_95c30a1a33_b.jpg

Back