News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

JUST IN: Ont. Premier Doug Ford says his government will offer municipalities and school boards $7.35 million to conduct 'line by line' audits of their spending this year, in an effort to find efficiencies worth at least 4 per cent of their total spending.

I guess Doug doesn't know that school boards already conduct audits as part of regional internal audit teams, which the province already funds.

Will Doug force the city of Toronto into another expensive line-by-line audit, like 2014?

Premier Doug Ford is set to announce an unspecified measure concerning municipalities as they continue to decry cuts to public health units, subsidized childcare and tourism promotion.

Ford will speak to the chambers of commerce from Pickering, Ajax, Whitby and Oshawa on Tuesday afternoon about “next steps forward to support our municipal partners,” according to the Premier’s Office.

Tory said any demand that Toronto undergo another detailed audit, similar to one performed in 2014 to find new savings, would be viewed as a “stunt.”

“If all the province says they’re going to do is give us some money for a line by line audit, which we already do, without any willingness to discuss the way we will save money or when these cuts will take effect, I would view it more as a public relations stunt.”

https://www.cp24.com/news/ford-to-a...al-partners-amid-backlash-over-cuts-1.4430823

It most certainly is a stunt.

If savings were really desired (without material reductions in valued services) there would be 2 useful actions. The first would be to identify a service deemed to be of low value and just mandate cutting it.

The second would be to deliver a much larger sum of dollars expressly to fund 'spend to save' projects.

There are quite a few of those out there, for instance, improving self-service options for various services through the use of technology, obviously energy efficiency, but also allow for legislative an financial support for fixes like
merging employee pensions/benefits plans or creating a single payroll system (one Toronto department I am acquainted with still uses paper time sheets!!!)

But new systems cost money. Set a ratio, if the province provides a dollar of support up front for efficiency, that investment must be recovered through savings within 7 years.

Put up a one-time fund of 3.5 billion dollars (that would equate to annual savings for partner governments of 500M per year).

That would impress me as a substantive action.

Then delay 'arbitrary cuts' by 2 years to provide time for implementation.

Have you read the book or watched the Handmaids series?
Yes. Both. But it's confirmation bias, it's meant to trigger folks who want to be part of a movement, crave a group experience, who want to believe a dystopian world is coming - you might as well go to Comicom dressed as stormtroopers to protest militarization. People ignorant of or too lazy to find examples from our actual history instead pull some costumes from a popular TV series, and use fictional characters to make their point against actual events or ideals. Think back to the Civil Rights movements in the USA, did people dress up in costumes or garb that had no connection to reality?

Last edited:
Brampton City Council voted not to have the Region of Peel dissolved, or altered. It is non-binding on the province of course.

In the event Mississauga is declared a separate city I think it's an opportunity for a larger reorganization of both Halton and what's left of Peel. It feels like Milton would be better off moved into a new Region of Peel with Georgetown and Halton Hills too; Burlington and Oakville would stay in a new Halton, perhaps with Waterdown moved there and out of Hamilton, which always feels like a stretch of geography.

Is Doug getting ready to oust Toronto's mayor?

On CP24 Ontario Premier Ford says "something is seriously wrong with the administration of Toronto city hall," can't offset his retro-active cuts. He warns that changes may be coming. Ford repeats his decisively debunked claim to have found $1 bilion in efficiencies when he was at city hall.

John Tory IS the mayor with regressive vision and an agenda that sabotages public service. I am confided why they are even fighting in the first place.

I don’t think the province can unilaterally remove any municipal politicians. Would require legislation to change the City of Toronto Act. Unless there’s some other path for it. I feel the LG would be obligated not to accede to anything like that.

Yes. Both. But it's confirmation bias, it's meant to trigger folks who want to be part of a movement, crave a group experience, who want to believe a dystopian world is coming - you might as well go to Comicom dressed as stormtroopers to protest militarization. People ignorant of or too lazy to find examples from our actual history instead pull some costumes from a popular TV series, and use fictional characters to make their point against actual events or ideals. Think back to the Civil Rights movements in the USA, did people dress up in costumes or garb that had no connection to reality?

I am sorry I don't agree, assuming that a deeply concerned group of people crave group experience is wrong. People protest, if it takes handmaids costumes or go bare chested, so be it. It's getting a point across and if it takes costumes or signs or guillotines more power to them. Protesters are in my experience neither lazy or ignorant, because if they were, they wouldn't be out to oppose the circus that's currently running the province or any regime for that matter.

Back