News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I struggle to imagine a single justification for skipping any of the stops @roger1818 listed in his little ridership table which would still remain valid after these stops no longer inconvenience the major markets (e.g. MTRL-TRTO or OTTW-TRTO)...

How much time does all-stop add to these trips? I assume for example that every train will stop at both Belleville and Trenton, both Port Hope and Cobourg, and both Guildwood and Oshawa. So would that make all Kingston-Union trips 3 hrs long? And how would longer trips help the ex-urban commuting? Just wondering how would a planner deal with what are obviously competing goals.

How much time does all-stop add to these trips? I assume for example that every train will stop at both Belleville and Trenton, both Port Hope and Cobourg, and both Guildwood and Oshawa. So would that make all Kingston-Union trips 3 hrs long? And how would longer trips help the ex-urban commuting? Just wondering how would a planner deal with what are obviously competing goals.
The timings of all currently operating Lakeshore services have been adjusted effective September 29, in order to accommodate all the extra stops which had been added during the pandemic. If you compare the most recent temporary schedule with the last pre-pandemic schedule, you should be able to figure out how many minutes were added per stop...

Last edited:
The timings of all currently operating Lakeshore services have been adjusted effective September 29, in order to accommodate all the extra stops which had been added during the pandemic. If you compare the most recent temporary schedule with the last pre-pandemic schedule, you should be able to figure out how many minutes were added per stop...

Interesting. So it's ~2:40 hrs for an all-stop from Kingston to Toronto and just a bit longer than that to Montreal. I guess that rules out ex-urban commuting from Kingston, for all but Ottawa. And at 2 hrs, Ottawa is a bit tight too. Does allow day trips for appointments, meetings with ~5.5 hrs total round trip travel from Kingston.

What I've also noticed would help Kingstonians is extending the REM at Dorval. 3 hrs to Dorval with the transfer is probably competitive with a car. More competitive than Pearson with the UPE probably.

That's only on a sunny day when it's not snowing, and there aren't any accidents. The drive from Union to the 401 can take 45 minutes on its own. Not to mention going from pickering to Bowmanville.

It should also be noted that I've been delayed an hour from Kingston due to crew issues and a train in front going into emergency.

But flying isn't that much more consistent either due to weather and other delays. It comes down to if you need a car when you get to your destination, and how consistent that mode of transportation is.

Flying might be faster, but 45 min drive to Pearson, $40.00 for parking, 2 hours go check in and go through security.

Downtown to downtown, the train might be faster.

I just noticed that not all of the all-stop Ottawa-Toronto trains stop in Smith Falls. Is this because of scheduling conflicts with CP due to the at grade crossover? I guess that will be another conflict point that might need to be redesigned for HFR unless the new line connects to the existing via rail trackage north of Smith Falls.

I assume you meant to say "zero through trains to Windsor or Sarnia", but it was already CN which stopped routing any Toronto-Windsor trains via Kitchener (back in 1964!) and that had been only one single eastbound night train in most years.

Concerning Toronto-Kitchener-London-Sarnia (TKLS) trains, these trains didn't even exist prior to October 1961 (April 1963 for eastbound services) and again, it was still during the CN years (October 1973) that they were effectively eliminated when CN switched the Kitchener route to RDC service only, leaving only one single westbound TKLS train:

I did misspeak about Kitchener instead of Windsor, and I think we can agree that the service pattern changed over the decades. I stand corrected about when and by whom the Kitchener service moved to RDC's.

It would be interesting to know what the traditional through ridership was through London, versus the transfer ridership. I wonder if ridership followed the changes in service, or vice versa.

I would expect that VIA would try to keep the maximum people in a single seat. Logically, with today's population that would imply some T-K-L-W runs.

Transferring between mainline trains is not like transferring from LRT to subway. If the connection is timed loosely, the end to end trip time suffers. If the connection is timed tightly, lateness on one leg forces the connection to be held, making it late also.... or people are left behind. A tight connection is hugely stressful for passengers, who are watching their watches, and then rushing from one platform to another, with luggage, down stairs and up again. I have done that too often in Europe to enjoy the experience. And London has limited platform width.

Here comes again your conspiracy theory that there is some secret mechanism (presumably hidden somewhere in the CN-VIA TSA contract) which would automatically void a substantial part of VIA's current Lakeshore slots the very second VIA opens a parallel line which shifts most Montreal/Ottawa-Toronto traffic away from the Kingston Subdivision, accompanied by some just as unsubstantiated speculation about VIA's intended Lakeshore frequencies post-HFR...^^

You are correct, my concern is completely without supporting data.....except.....for the 1981 timetable you cited for Toronto-London. Where are all those trains today? Forty intervening years where VIA was trimmed back, and back again, is my point.

I'm sticking by my conspiracy theory. CN is remarkably accommodating of VIA east of Toronto, but that is very likely because they appreciate that a tribunal would not accept their desire to shed the sole passenger route that links Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal. But when VIA has its own parallel route, and the question is serving the smaller communities rather than the main cities.....they may feel they have more leverage.

And, I'm not confident that VIA has contractual language that would maintain the 100/95 mph top speed after HFR. Or prevent CN from taking some sections of double track out of service, particularly east of Brockville.

While CN runs plenty of freight on the Kingston line, they run higher volumes on the rest of their transcontinental network with plenty of single track. They will want full return on any excess capitalization that supports VIA.

We can agree to differ on this.... a cheap bottle of wine bought today will have aged to perfection before we know. It's a safe wager :)

I struggle to imagine a single justification for skipping any of the stops @roger1818 listed in his little ridership table which would still remain valid after these stops no longer inconvenience the major markets (e.g. MTRL-TRTO or OTTW-TRTO)...

I may not have made that point well. VIA does a clever job of spreading local stops across its trains, such that a particular train stops only once or twice, thereby preserving the express timings and effectively giving the local stops "express" service. Post HFR, I imagine there will be few express timings. As already discussed, the timings will suffer. The question is, does that slower timing matter?

I'm strictly a guy in the bleachers, but I'm still hung up on trip time. Highway timings are highly variable with lots of horror stories.... but auto users have a funny way of remembering their best driving time and believing their next trip will be that good. VIA needs to provide service which is demonstrably faster than the auto, period, or the auto will prevail.

- Paul

While CN runs plenty of freight on the Kingston line, they run higher volumes on the rest of their transcontinental network with plenty of single track. They will want full return on any excess capitalization that supports VIA.

Does VIA not maintain partial control over the triple track segments constructed near Kingston in 2008? As for east of Brockville, my understanding is that the HFR plan is based on the continued usage of the CN tracks between Montreal and Les Coteau.

Speaking of HFR retaining the existing routing between Montreal and Ottawa via Les Coteau, I recall that I was a bit incredulous about the promise that trip times could be reduced to 1:35. In response to @Urban Sky 's demonstration that such accelerated travel times were possible in the past, I recorded the GPS speed of a Montreal-Ottawa trip back in September. The train arrived about 20 minutes early despite slowdowns due to freight movement between Gare Centrale and Dorval that required multiple track changes and track work between Valleyfield and Les Coteau that required an track changes and speed restrictions. The train only took about 1:46 to complete the route at an average speed of 105km/h.

I have attached the speed/time and speed/distance graphs below. The recording was only started as the train left Gare Centrale on the viaduct but before it reached the Lachine canal.
1606690738510.png

1606690892941.png

As you can see, this travel time was achieved despite several slowdowns that could likely be removed with the ~150m dollars for this leg of HFR.

Attachments

• 1606690333628.png
    1606690333628.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 210
  • 1606690357006.png
    1606690357006.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 202
  • 1606690399829.png
    1606690399829.png
    261.2 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Does VIA not maintain partial control over the triple track segments constructed near Kingston in 2008? As for east of Brockville, my understanding is that the HFR plan is based on the continued usage of the CN tracks between Montreal and Les Coteau.

VIA has no direct control over any particular track on CN's territory. They may own track materials, and there may be agreement over who pays for maintaining what track, but in practice the dispatching utilises whatever track is needed.

East of Coteau, HFR will likely use CN, as CP has reportedly turned VIA away. Some modest amount of investment will likely be needed as Coteau is already a pinch point due to freight trains stopping and switching.

Hourly HFR would equate to VIA occupying one of the two main line tracks from Coteau to Dorval all day long. In theory, CN could simply hold freights to follow the hourly HFR movements, but there would be potential for the following HFR train to tag a slow moving freight. And, movements in and out of the yard at Ballantyne would cause some further congestion. One would expect that some track would have to be added eventually. Not a huge expense, but it will consume some of that $150M.

I have attached the speed/time and speed/distance graphs below. The recording was only started as the train left Gare Centrale on the viaduct but before it reached the Lachine canal.

I'm puzzled by the label reading Max 188 km/hr. Is that just the labelling of the axis? I'm sure your train did not go that fast.

Assuming HFR is an hourly service pattern, trains will make more meets than at present, and that will add to trip times. The 1:35 is a credible goal on this line, but the schedule padding you observed may be eaten up by meets.

- Paul

This is an assertion made with no evidence. Taken to the ultimate conclusion, it would mean there's never a case for DMUs at all. But we know that's not true.

Maintenance on a locomotive is going to be far more expensive than simply a power pack on a DMU. Not in the least because the engines in a locomotive are larger and more sophisticated, usually connected to advanced generators too, driving up maintenance costs. DMUs on the other hand use glorified semi engines.

What’s up with all the straw man arguments? I never said it would cost the same to maintain a unit from a DMU as it would to maintain a locomotive. I said it would cost more to maintain a diesel unit than a coach. Given that a DMU train has multiple units (that’s what the MU stands for) there will come a length whereby the cost of maintaining all the units in the train is higher than the cost of maintaining a locomotive and an equivalent number of coaches.

VIA has no direct control over any particular track on CN's territory. They may own track materials, and there may be agreement over who pays for maintaining what track, but in practice the dispatching utilises whatever track is needed.

East of Coteau, HFR will likely use CN, as CP has reportedly turned VIA away. Some modest amount of investment will likely be needed as Coteau is already a pinch point due to freight trains stopping and switching.

Hourly HFR would equate to VIA occupying one of the two main line tracks from Coteau to Dorval all day long. In theory, CN could simply hold freights to follow the hourly HFR movements, but there would be potential for the following HFR train to tag a slow moving freight. And, movements in and out of the yard at Ballantyne would cause some further congestion. One would expect that some track would have to be added eventually. Not a huge expense, but it will consume some of that $150M.

I'm puzzled by the label reading Max 188 km/hr. Is that just the labelling of the axis? I'm sure your train did not go that fast.

Assuming HFR is an hourly service pattern, trains will make more meets than at present, and that will add to trip times. The 1:35 is a credible goal on this line, but the schedule padding you observed may be eaten up by meets.

- Paul
CN has not given priority to passenger trains ever since they ceded passenger operations to VIA, and never in a million years will they do it today unless its federally mandated for them to do so (why wont the feds do this to begin with...).

I just noticed that not all of the all-stop Ottawa-Toronto trains stop in Smith Falls. Is this because of scheduling conflicts with CP due to the at grade crossover? I guess that will be another conflict point that might need to be redesigned for HFR unless the new line connects to the existing via rail trackage north of Smith Falls.

There won't be any need for HFR to cross CP track in Smiths Falls since both the Smiths Falls Sub and the Havelock Sub are north of CP's Belleville Sub. and Winchester Sub. They will need to run parallel to the Belleville Sub between Smiths Falls and Glen Tay, but that can be on the north side.

I am curious where you heard that? I find it surprising since CP recently reduced the double track to single track on the Winchester Sub. between Soulanges and Smiths Falls. Surely it wouldn't be a big deal to lease/sell the north half of their ROW to VIA (CP are using the former south track).

Did they pull the second track out completely? They did the same between TBay and Kenora but left some very very long sections as passing tracks (no longer classed as 'mainline trackage'). I assume CP would still need to eat up some of the ROW for some manner of siding capability.

Back