News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Enough trouble that the MTO would rather bypass the entire stretch.

Service roads would need to be build and local road network would need to be redone. Interchanges need to be built along with new overpasses. The ROW isn't wide enough for 6 lanes expansion without taking away people's properties in many places.

North of Gravenhurst, there is a number of at-grade crossings that needs to be address. It's not as simple as closing them off. Hwy 11 is their only access and would need a number of new local roads to be built.
MTO completed an EA for widening and upgrading 11 to a full freeway from Orillia to Gravenhurst about a decade ago now. I believe they have a similar study from 20-25 years ago for 11 from Barrie to Orillia as well.

North of Gravenhurst it's mostly eliminating the few at grade intersections remaining south of Huntsville, which wouldn't be too much work. I believe they have EAs done for that as well, and it includes a handful of new interchanges and service roads.

Finally there are a bunch of at grade crossings south of North Bay that I don't believe they have any plans to change.

Isn't the east side of Lake Simcoe subject to first nations lands claims? Seems like building a highway up there is a recipe for rising tension.

They are slowly ... around the east side of Lake Simcoe. :)

The section in question is north of Gravenhurst, north of where any 404 extension would tie in.

A 404 running to North Bay makes a lot of sense. Having two freeways running north from Toronto and giving each of the two cities along Highway 17 north of it their own freeway link to it is a lot more sensical than having the corridors converge south of Barrie.

I think the 404 might even become the predominant route as it runs straight into downtown Toronto, avoids Barrie, and is more accessible from Aurora and Newmarket as well as the areas near Yonge/Bayview in Toronto where more of the wealthy cottage crowd lives.

I also personally think the existing 404 is a cooler-looking highway than the 400 south of Barrie, both design and topographically-wise.

Isn't the east side of Lake Simcoe subject to first nations lands claims? Seems like building a highway up there is a recipe for rising tension.
Just give them a stream of revenue, maybe from a rest stop and they will stop talking. Hire their people while at it and help their community out.

What?? You want to shorten what was once The Longest Street In The World even more?? :)

I’m sure you’re joking, but Yonge Street and Highway 11 were never the same thing, even before highway downloading.

The most generous definition of Yonge Street includes the extension from Holland Landing to Penetanguishine Road at Barrie. Otherwise, it ends in a swamp at the Holland River.

I also personally think the existing 404 is a cooler-looking highway than the 400 south of Barrie, both design and topographically-wise.

Wow does this ever exude cool..............

1613156072269.png

Yup.....no question:

1613156222357.png

Is it the cell towers? The pavement? The jersey barriers, or grass ditches.............

Its so hard to put my finger on the coolness of it all.

Idk about you but this does actually look quite cool. Its definitely a subjective matter.

To each their own.

I see endless bland; except for some farms, and a bit of nature here and there; both of those worse off for having the highway bisect them.

Noise, pollution, pavement; nothing particularly aesthetic; there's not even flowers in the ditch or a nice railing atop the jersey barrier.

So, you are welcome to your preference, but its certainly not one I share.

Wow does this ever exude cool..............

View attachment 299720

Yup.....no question:

View attachment 299721

Is it the cell towers? The pavement? The jersey barriers, or grass ditches.............

Its so hard to put my finger on the coolness of it all.

I meant the part further north in Aurora and Newmarket. Hillier and curvier, grassed median in rural sections, and passing by urban areas. Overall
better aesthetics:

404a.jpg

Hope that helps you get over your snarkiness.

Last edited:
I’m sure you’re joking, but Yonge Street and Highway 11 were never the same thing, even before highway downloading.

I certainly was, but there are people who stupidly believe Yonge St. was shortened when Hwy. 11 was downloaded, including the fact-checkers at Guinness, who removed the entry a year after it was. Which is doubly dumb because even if the street and highway were one and the same, the highway downloading wouldn't have effected the street name if it had it past Barrie.

Back