News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I recall RER initially was to include all day service to the Hamilton GO Centre. Is this an indication that is no longer going to happen? West Harbour's location is slightly less convenient with respect to downtown, LRT connection, etc. Has WH been chosen over HGC because of issues with CPR?

I recall RER initially was to include all day service to the Hamilton GO Centre. Is this an indication that is no longer going to happen? West Harbour's location is slightly less convenient with respect to downtown, LRT connection, etc. Has WH been chosen over HGC because of issues with CPR?
The plan has been for all day service at least initially to West Harbour for a while.

I believe Metrolinx does have long term plans to bring all day service to Hamilton Centre eventually as well though. I believe the 2041 Regional Transportation Plan still shows all day service to Hamilton Centre.

I imagine they aren't in any real rush for it though as I believe it requires some expensive work to lower the rail grade in the Hamilton Tunnel to allow for double tracks through it with double-stack containers for freight trains. My understanding is that double-stack trains fit right now as the track is in the middle of the tunnel, but if it is shifted to the side the clear height would be too low.

About time.

Next up - Brampton and fill in the gaps on the Stouffville and Barrie.

Contra-flow services in rush hour should be plausible on Stouffville now, I think.........but @smallspy would likely know better.

Barrie, and K-W will likely need a round of track projects completed before that happens.

I think K-W weekend service is likely the next big addition.

I also would not be surprised to see 15M service on Lakeshore during peak-weekend times.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about what was promised back in the day, but with the GO Expansion Business case there really isn't anything about all day service to HGC.
1627320459024.png

West Harbour really is primarily chosen because it has actual trackspace to run more service. This is also primarily the reason why I advocated for either building the A-Line simultaneously to the B-Line, or maybe downscaling the B-Line to BRT to be able to fund the A-Line because that way you are able to properly connect the all day GO services to the Hamilton "RT" network. The only all day stations Hamilton is going to have is West Harbour and Confederation, and both won't be served by the B-Line, and the latter being planned to serve by.... jesus christ that's a long time from now:
1627320370825.png

^I haven't looked to see if the link is still alive somewhere, but in my files I found a slide deck from a ML PIC on Jan 26 2010 for the Niagara service EA. At that time the study limits were from Aldershot to Niagara Falls.

However, construction of the triple track from Burlington West to Bayview was under way by 2006. Things kind of stalled out from that point for a loooong time.

- Paul

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 1.38.49 PM.png

Contra-flow services in rush hour should be plausible on Stouffville now, I think.........but @smallspy would likely know better.

Barrie, and K-W will likely need a round of track projects completed before that happens.

I think K-W weekend service is likely the next big addition.

I also would not be surprised to see 15M service on Lakeshore during peak-weekend times.
Ok thanks. Glad to hear. I think KW will be the biggest challenge. Although if this is an indication, CN maybe be more flexible than thought at first.

Stouffville (Mount Joy, to be more precise) is nowhere near ready. I would say maybe next spring.

- The second track is still being ballasted north of Kennedy
- Agincourt and Milliken stations are progressing, but nowhere near ready for two track operation
- The two creek bridges are still far from completion
- There are gaps in the second track in various locations
- Passing track at Mount Joy is still in procurement
- Crossovers south of the 401 are in place but signalling not cut in

- Paul

Stouffville (Mount Joy, to be more precise) is nowhere near ready. I would say maybe next spring.

- The second track is still being ballasted north of Kennedy
- Agincourt and Milliken stations are progressing, but nowhere near ready for two track operation
- The two creek bridges are still far from completion
- There are gaps in the second track in various locations
- Passing track at Mount Joy is still in procurement
- Crossovers south of the 401 are in place but signalling not cut in

- Paul

I was only assuming contra-flow to Unionville; that said; even that clearly seems even that is out-of-reach, for now.

Though, I don't see why the project isn't further along at this point.

Direct link to the article associated with the Tweet above:

From that article

1627333438088.png

That is the sort of non-answer nonsense that should get someone tossed from cabinet.
She should know the answer; the sum would not be shocking; if she didn't know, the correct answer was "I don't have that off the top of my head, but someone will get that for you"

Even worse, the reporter of this piece followed up with Mx:

1627333561370.png

Well now, this IS an interesting tidbit:

1627333734064.png

Confederation Station was also asked about at the presser, but got a non-answer:

"Metrolinx CEO Phil Verster answered that GO is working to add the tracks out of West Harbour and improvements needed to get all-day train service to the “Confederation” station and beyond."

Last edited:
I was only assuming contra-flow to Unionville; that said; even that clearly seems even that is out-of-reach, for now.

Though, I don't see why the project isn't further along at this point.
My impression is that the contract to double the track was let in a hurry, before anyone had really digested what the station requirements would be. At Milliken, a fair bit of second track with new concrete ties was laid and surfaced southwards from Steeles towards McNicholl - .... and then the segment through the station was torn up, when the tunnelling for the station work started. It never saw a train.

There seem to have been glitches with the creek bridges, which is the part that has languished the most. At one point, the track contractor was working nights and weekends to get things done, and was said to be demanding uninterruped work blocks, ie bustitutions, to meet the original schedule. Whatever premium-cost work was performed is a bit regrettable now. I wonder if ML has even enforced the time lines for the original deliverables.

So what started out as a rush job has become a slow plod. With the time pressure off, due to the late-arriving station work that reset the timelines for opening day, there's not much point in rushing to finish other things.

This one would be good fodder for an A-G inquiry.

- Paul

Back