From link.

Steve wrote about the construction project’s impact upon pedestrian and bicycle traffic:​
“Project Co.” together with Metrolinx will supposedly “minimise” risks. Whether this will actually be achieved, especially under conditions of less than ideal weather and at night, remains to be seen.​

Needless to say, places that actually care about human life have devised ways of safely handling pedestrian and bicycle traffic through construction sites. Here are some videos of such access:​
And sometimes a temporary bridge is built to get people through construction sites. see:​
When I watch videos from places that routinely do things right I experience a variety of emotions. Those emotions start with eye-rolling and face-palming, but soon escalate to a fairly high level of anger. There are well-known ways of doing this construction safely. So I get angry at those people who have such a callous indifference to human life that they choose to do things in a way that is grossly unsafe.​

Temporary decking is being constructed for future station excavations on Vnacouver's Broadway extension.

Traffic-Deck-InfoGraphic-1024x576.png

Don Mills & Eglinton is an elevated Ontario Line station which is well to the side of the excavated Line 5 station box. I wouldn't expect any service interruptions here other than a boarded off work area.
The only thing that might see any major disruption is the bus terminal, given the station is apparently being built above it. but that could just mean a couple bus bays are removed from use.

Procurement news.

Bechtel selected as delivery partner for Metrolinx' Ontario Line​

The project to create access and opportunity in the Toronto region
bechtel.com. (PRNewsFoto/Bechtel)

NEWS PROVIDED BY
Bechtel
Dec 08, 2021, 14:35 ET

TORONTO, Dec. 8, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Bechtel, one of the world's most respected engineering, construction and project management companies, has been selected as the delivery partner for Metrolinx' Ontario Line in Toronto, a vital part of plans to create a more connected regional transit system.

Bechtel, with sub-vendors Bantrel Co. and Comtech Group Inc, will provide resources, experience, and knowledge in preparation for the construction of the 15.6 kilometer (9.7 miles) rapid transit line through the city of Toronto. The Ontario Line will be the first new subway line project in 50 years with Bechtel bringing its expertise of working in similar urban environments to better maximize opportunities for contractors to deliver the project and engage with community and industry stakeholders to address construction concerns.

"Bechtel is extremely pleased to have been selected by Metrolinx as their delivery partner for the Ontario Line in Toronto," said Kelvin Sims, Bechtel general manager, Infrastructure Americas. "Our team will bring considerable experience and lessons learned from similar recent roles around the world to help establish a collaborative integrated project team with the client and its other consultants and contractors. We look forward to the challenges and excitement of this historic project."

The project will require a mix of surface, elevated, and underground tracks to bring transit to more communities and will travel through dozens of vibrant neighborhoods.

"The Ontario Line will be part of a truly integrated transit network that will make getting around the city and the entire region easier and more intuitive," said Malcolm McKay, Ontario Line program sponsor for Metrolinx. "Teams across Metrolinx are excited for this important project which will lift communities up and make them more successful and sustainable as the city grows."

The northern terminus will be located near the Science Centre and a critical connection to the Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail Transit line. The project's southern terminus will be at or near Exhibition Place and Ontario Place along the City's waterfront.

The project includes 15 stations, six interchanges with other modes of transit, passenger pick-ups and drop off areas, and a maintenance and storage facility. The current anticipated completion of the project is end of 2030.

About Bechtel
Bechtel is a trusted engineering, construction and project management partner to industry and government. Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers' objectives to create a lasting positive impact. Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world's infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.

Bechtel serves the Energy; Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. www.bechtel.com

That's a shame, I was hoping we would use siemens trains.
That hasn't been decided yet. Still out to tender.

A reminder the options are Alstom, Siemens or Hitachi.

That hasn't been decided yet. Still out to tender.

A reminder the options are Alstom, Siemens or Hitachi.
I see, I forgot about the multiple contracts.

Back