News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Do they still own the balance of the SoBow lands? Still quite a few phases to go on that one. They only put up one building since they acquired it from the first developer:

Do they still own the balance of the SoBow lands? Still quite a few phases to go on that one. They only put up one building since they acquired it from the first developer:

If I were them I would do the remaining SOBow lands as townhomes and stacked townhomes, subdivided and a mix of rental and for sale

If I were them I would do the remaining SOBow lands as townhomes and stacked townhomes, subdivided and a mix of rental and for sale
Was doing some work on the chiller for the east buildings, took it with a grain of salt but the guy who let us in and took us around claimed they were not building anymore there and turning it all in to a park. I didn’t really believe that as it would be a huge money loss.

Indigenous Elders Lodge in Calgarys Highland Park which is an affordable housing project.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/construction-starts-on-indigenous-seniors-housing-project

the site

Indigenous Elders Lodge.png

Had some time to kill so I thought I'd compare high-rise construction growth in the core (Downtown/EV/Beltline) from a little over 4 years ago years ago (Dec 2018) to today. I didn't include Bridgeland, Kensington or Mission, but I believe those neighborhoods also have more units u/c than was the case 4 years ago. I included Sunalta towers though it's not technically in the Beltline, it's close enough. I didn't include Curtis block or 11+11, even though they are still technically u/c.

For the time being our core growth in multi-family is very solid. Looking at all the projects u/c including 11+11 and Curtis Block we are looking at at least 4,130 new units for the core. This should result in a strong population boost over the next 3-4 years.

Dec 2018
U/C Units
Underwood Tower - 225
11th and 11th - 369 (site prep)
Marriott Residences - 303
One Tower - 379
500 Block South - 463
The Royal - 223
Curtis Block - 628 (site prep)
Redstone - 137 (Site prep)
Cube - 66
Total Units: 2,793

Jan 2022

U/C Units
Oliver - 866
Sunalta Towers - 333
The Hat 14th - 239
1334 10th - 80
Arris Tower west - 310
Park Central II - 460
Sierra Place - 80
West Village Towers - 554
The Fifth - 34
Nude - 177
Total Units: 3,133

That new total doesn't include the still u/c
11th and 11th - 369
Curtis Block - 628

Last edited:
If it weren't for the high rise purpose rental activity, things would be pretty dead in the core.
I am still amazed at the popularity of these buildings with renters. Sure they are new and they have more amenities than a typical rental building from past decades. Also, I have heard the analysis that millenials don't want to own (although something is driving the single family demand). However rents in these new buildings are not cheap so you have to be making a decent income to afford it.

With interest rates as low as they are, why wouldn't you take that payment and buy a 'value priced' inner city condo instead?🤔

Last edited:

Back