News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Well I use the term "compatible" loosely here. I know that they won't actually be connected, and technically since REM Est will have 40m long cars, you wouldn't be able to through run in most circumstances, but my point was that it is the exact same technology and very similar build standards. Theoretically if you would connect the tracks up and update the automation, you could would be able to run trains through if you did something about the different platform lengths.
I remember they were planning to have narrower trains than in Rem A. Thought it was in the Techincal Book but cants seem to find it now. That makes the future interoperably not possible. But nothing is set in stone until the contracts get signed. Who knows, maybe the consortium with Alstom will win again.

Some articles in English about the latest REM B drama. The city and the province are still on board. And seem to have reiterated their commitments with more funding.

Some articles in English about the latest REM B drama. The city and the province are still on board. And seem to have reiterated their commitments with more funding.

I just think REM East should come out of the south portal of Garre Centrale with the same track as the current REM and just follow the rail line along the shore. Would require it to be the same tech as the current REM however, but I dont see that being a huge issue.

1644512965199.png

I find the elevated section between two existing metro lines redundant. Above showing the route along the existing ROW, but also dotted line for potential tunnelled shortcut under the existing Central Station as a potential alternative. More expensive but could then operate as its own line and not take such a circuitous route to Central Station, and not compete for platform space at the station (would have its own station platforms tunnelled under the existing station)

I'm too young to idolize him... I'm also part of the LGBTQ+ community, so I'm not too keen on the idea of having a new Jean Drapeau in power.
I am curious about your comment connecting the gay community and Jean Drapeau. Maybe I don't know something about him.
He had trees of the Mont Royal cut because some guys were fellating each others and had crackdowns. https://thelinknewspaper.ca/article/anti-lgbtq-raids-and-police-brutality
https://www.mtlblog.com/montreal-morality-cuts-emerald-ash-borer-fornication

I will never say that I'm part of the LGBTQ+ community though as I'm a conservative gay redneck and they certainly don't represent me.

I am curious about your comment connecting the gay community and Jean Drapeau. Maybe I don't know something about him.
In the 60s and 70s he had the police raid bars and gay establishments in order to "cleanse" the city and present a "family-friendly" look ahead of Expo 67 and the Olympic Games. He displaced both the original gay village (in today's Shaughnessy Village) and the second village (along Saint-Laurent) to it's current location, which was a slum back then.

I will never say that I'm part of the LGBTQ+ community though as I'm a conservative gay redneck and they certainly don't represent me.
who's "they"? I didn't mean this as saying I'm part of some political group or anything... Conservative or not, I don't think any gay man would like to go back to a time when the cops would beat us up just for fun.

Sorry for going off topic

I'm too young to idolize him... I'm also part of the LGBTQ+ community, so I'm not too keen on the idea of having a new Jean Drapeau in power.
Hopefully a new Drapeau who could get things built, would come without the baggage that is typical of those who joined the Nationalist movement in the 1930s.

Should we also rename Lionel-Groulx metro?

Hopefully a new Drapeau who could get things built, would come without the baggage that is typical of those who joined the Nationalist movement in the 1930s.

Should we also rename Lionel-Groulx metro?
Are you a part of that movement that wants to rename everything? Or are you just trying to imply that me not liking homophobes makes me some kind of woke?

My point was this: You all love Drapeau for everything he did, but it's not all rosy and light. He moved entire neighbourhoods just to get things built, without regards to his community. Look up Faubourg à M'lasse, Goose Village, even Old Montreal almost came down during his tenure to make way for the Port Expressway. All in the name of progress.

He was also mayor during a time period that saw the provincial economy grow fivefold, with a 10% debt to GDP ratio... Not really the same situation as now.

I know we're all excited for projects to get built, but it's never going to be like the Drapeau years. Today we're lucky enough to know how to create things that are optimal for the environment, the community and the economy. Too bad if it takes more time, at least it's done right. And as I said earlier... the issue is at the provincial level, not municipal.

Are you a part of that movement that wants to rename everything? Or are you just trying to imply that me not liking homophobes makes me some kind of woke?
Given Lionel Groulx's association with Drapeau in the 1930s and 1940s, and Groulx's infamous anti-Jewish racism, it's neither.

My point though, is that Montreal needs to stand up for itself, and stop letting the province steam-roller it.

CDPQi wants to proceed with South Shore REM line, cities don't want aerial structure again.

CDPQi wants to proceed with South Shore REM line, cities don't want aerial structure again.

I wonder if there's the potential of keeping the eastern branches... before crossing the St Lawrence to serve the South Shore instead of heading downtown.

I wonder if there's the potential of keeping the eastern branches... before crossing the St Lawrence to serve the South Shore instead of heading downtown.
For what purpose? The most recent Origin-Destination report shows that eastern areas of the island need more transit toward central areas, not the south shore.

Also, if CDPQi isn't interested in funding an underground tunnel downtown, I doubt that they would be open to the idea of funding a crossing of the river.

Back