News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The reverse awning windows will be an important part of the rain water harvesting system.

Not sure if this counts as a development or an infill, but there is an *interesting* proposal for a mixed-use building in Marda Loop at 1934 34 Ave SW. Architecture's pretty ugly. Doesn't look like the developer has any experience doing anything like this. Nonetheless, if I'm interpreting the application properly, they are proposing 8(!) retail units, two residential units, and artist studio space.

Proposal:
View attachment 390941

What is there currently:
View attachment 390942

Relatedly, the two houses just to the east of this property have been re-adapted into several retail units as part of the Shops at Avenue Thirty Four. It's a tremendously well done renovation that maintains the basic architecture of the houses, while putting in really fine-grained, human-scaled retail. There's patio with a wood burning fireplace that's always packed.

Besides Sunalta Heghts, Hat 14th, Park Central. Are there any other towers getting built/ or soon to start getting built during the summer? I wonder if now that we are slowly exiting the pandemic, if construction will pick up.

I guess I just am inpatient to see more density and towers in the downtown area lol
I assume it will. In my opinion; however, we need about 5 times the rate of growth we're seeing in the downtown for us to be a competitive big city. But I doubt it will happen with a lousy incompetent municipal government.

Besides Sunalta Heghts, Hat 14th, Park Central. Are there any other towers getting built/ or soon to start getting built during the summer? I wonder if now that we are slowly exiting the pandemic, if construction will pick up.

I guess I just am inpatient to see more density and towers in the downtown area lol
Off the top of my head I can think of Nude, Arris tower 2, and Oliver tower 2. Anyone else think of anything?

There will be more stuff coming down the pipe at some point, but there may be a mild lull due to amount of towers already u/c, and the ones coming online soon with Beltline Blvd, West Village Towers, Oliver and 11th & 11th combining for over 2,000 units. I think we'll see some projects like the ones mentioned above start up once these new towers u/c get halfway built.

My guess would be the ones with more recent DPs like 526 - 4th Ave, 4th Street Lofts (Above Red's Diner), Sovereign or the GWL project on 8th street. also in the mix could be a third tower for West village or Beltline BLVD.

The Sprawl does a much better job of urban commentary than the Herald or the CBC. Ximena González is a trained architect who does actual reporting rather than just writing blog-style articles about whatever idea happened to pop into her head that morning.
Livewire is also pretty good, although Richard White has had a couple of articles there iirc.

It's hard to imagine looking at Calgary's housing market that there's a severe housing shortage in Canada. I feel like I keep hearing about how there aren't enough homes being built in this country, but when I look around the Calgary market there's a ton of potential housing waiting to be built.

Perhaps things will change as the housing crisis deepens in Southern Ontario and the Lower Mainland. If people start moving to Calgary in droves (or immigrants choose Calgary over other cities) I could see a lot of proposals popping up pretty quickly.

The scale of growth on 10th Avenue is really going to become apparent shortly.

Just with what's under construction currently and ignoring projects that have been completed or just about to complete (West Village Towers, 11 & 11 etc.). Map is from censusmapper.ca, update with 2021 density numbers;

1649446313051.png

Cluster 1: 10 Ave & 14 Street
  • Sunalta Towers
  • 1334 10 St
  • Hat 14 & 10
  • Total units = ~650; total new residents @1.5 ppl/unit = ~975
Cluster 2: 4 Street, near downtown
  • Oliver I & II
  • Park Central II
  • Total units = ~1,325; total new residents @1.5 ppl/unit = ~1,990
Assuming they all finish and don't sit completely empty this is real, on-the-ground, noticeable change in urban density - from more or less a forgotten or empty corners to some of the densest we have, all within 5 or so years. Add in the last wave of projects from the past decade (e.g. 10th Ave & 8 Street, Marriott towers) and the corridor has gone from next to nothing to half-done. Very impressive!

Another fun fact about Cluster 1 - Sunalta only has about 3,300 - 3,500 people. I know not all those units under construction are in Sunalta, but that cluster is adding nearly a third to the neighbourhood's effective population over that time.

When concentrated in clusters like this, these are the kinds of numbers that change a non-place to a place. You'll be able to notice the before and after difference with number of people walking around. Great to see.

It's hard to imagine looking at Calgary's housing market that there's a severe housing shortage in Canada. I feel like I keep hearing about how there aren't enough homes being built in this country, but when I look around the Calgary market there's a ton of potential housing waiting to be built.

Perhaps things will change as the housing crisis deepens in Southern Ontario and the Lower Mainland. If people start moving to Calgary in droves (or immigrants choose Calgary over other cities) I could see a lot of proposals popping up pretty quickly.
Calgary needs to fight over-regulation with a vengeance to prevent its housing market from turning into Vancouver.

Another fun fact about Cluster 1 - Sunalta only has about 3,300 - 3,500 people. I know not all those units under construction are in Sunalta, but that cluster is adding nearly a third to the neighbourhood's effective population over that time.

When concentrated in clusters like this, these are the kinds of numbers that change a non-place to a place. You'll be able to notice the before and after difference with number of people walking around. Great to see.
As I mentioned in the 1334 -10 Ave Thread, this development cluster should kick off Sunalta's portion of the 10 Av Main Street. 14 Street from there to 17th may also give early signs of a main street vibe when these finish; especially if the Arlington project at the corner of 17 & 14 starts construction around then.

As I mentioned in the 1334 -10 Ave Thread, this development cluster should kick off Sunalta's portion of the 10 Av Main Street. 14 Street from there to 17th may also give early signs of a main street vibe when these finish; especially if the Arlington project at the corner of 17 & 14 starts construction around then.
Sunalta has two larger breweries open or soon to open, each one a block and a half from the LRT Station. Sentry Box is also a unique institution right nearby that attracts a broad audience. Layer on that beautiful 12 Ave cycletrack extension + 1,000 more people and the pieces are all coming together for a whole new era in the community within the next few years.

Back