News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Looks like Co-op is pushing ahead with Oakridge and North Hill projects, and it seems that they're prioritizing their Mardaloop project over Brentwood and Dalhousie.

Calgary Herald: Calgary Co-op emerges from pandemic with growth in mind.

Do we have any renderings or info on this project? It's cleared and there's survey stakes in the ground.

This post is from page 276 of this thread. No renderings yet for the larger, SW corner parcel building though.

Looks like Co-op is pushing ahead with Oakridge and North Hill projects, and it seems that they're prioritizing their Mardaloop project over Brentwood and Dalhousie.

“Calgary Co-op is also proceeding with its Marda Loop project, which will include a new urban store as well as residential retail and commercial spaces after purchasing Marda Loop Village in 2020.

“One of the reasons we’ve been renovating, redeveloping and potentially looking to sites like Marda Loop is to get at customers who have, in some cases, an older shopping experience,” said Keelor, pointing to their old stores at Brentwood and Dalhousie. “Marda Loop is a chance to build a brand new store in a young community, a community of movers and shakers.”

He said it will take five to seven years to complete the project.”

This is a much more realistic timeline.

As someone who cycles on it a fair bit I wouldn't miss the vehicles, but it does reek of nimbyism.

It's an interesting one...maybe a case of right-thing for wrong-reasons. I used to live nearby and ride/run it all the time. While there were often people in cars who aren't really 'my kind of people' (can't quite find the right phrasing...I don't mean it in a passive-aggressive boomer kinda way), it was pretty rare that they were detrimental to my experience.

I can imagine it's a different case on summer nights, so restricting vehicle/parking access by time seems like the most sensible compromise to me. I also noticed a lot of people meeting up to exercise or walk - often one or both arriving in vehicles. It would be a shame to discourage that kind of activity.

This sparks a half-baked/hopelessly naive idea: can you create a more 'sanctioned' space for this evening crowd to gather? Like the west zoo lot on St Patrick's Island?

I was just about to post about the engagement. Every time I try going by with my family to go for a walk it is more complicated to get there and find any parking or access. Last time I ended up parking in front of the ridiculous Mazda dealership mansion to spite the owners who had their own private No Parking signs on the section of astroturf they laid to replace grass and trees. This not only reeks of Nimbyism but classism as well. Rich homeowners who believe they own the view. The arguments about recent shootings being caused by or connected to people walking along the ridge sounds like BS too. I have so many memories of going to Peter’s drive in with my wife then heading to the ridge for a walk and now it seems like they want to privatize the entire area by putting in gates. I recommend anyone who wants to continue to use this area fill out the city’s survey:

I was just about to post about the engagement. Every time I try going by with my family to go for a walk it is more complicated to get there and find any parking or access. Last time I ended up parking in front of the ridiculous Mazda dealership mansion to spite the owners who had their own private No Parking signs on the section of astroturf they laid to replace grass and trees. This not only reeks of Nimbyism but classism as well. Rich homeowners who believe they own the view. The arguments about recent shootings being caused by or connected to people walking along the ridge sounds like BS too. I have so many memories of going to Peter’s drive in with my wife then heading to the ridge for a walk and now it seems like they want to privatize the entire area by putting in gates. I recommend anyone who wants to continue to use this area fill out the city’s survey:

That article from the community perspective doesn't make them come off well at all. Insinuating public access is connected to murders a few kilometres away is a wild and unprovable statement that has no value in designing public spaces. Thankfully, the actual design options on the city website seem far more balanced that just purely catering to NIMBYs.

It's an interesting example of a problem we run into lots for local public realm projects. It often seems the city is trying to balance two similar but different problem definitions:
  1. "lets find ways to solve the traffic and congestion problem at Crescent Heights Road"
  2. "lets find ways to efficiently increase the quality and capacity of this popular area to accommodate more visitors".
Focusing on #1 defining traffic and congestion as the "problem" really plays into the NIMBY hand of the residents in the article. The problem is the visitors who must be restricted and managed.

Focusing on #2 defining the success of the public space so it's more efficient, effective and has more capacity is different - it's say the visitors are good things, we want more of them, we just need to find ways to accommodate them better. It's also acknowledging the truth - it's a public road and park, residents have no more right to the space than anyone else.

Trying to balance #1 and #2 is where we go wrong often. We give too much weight to "balancing" local input on things they don't actually own or control, like the park and roadways near their houses. Balance is not needed - #2 is needed. (This assumes we define #2 correctly - as we also have a history of incorrectly defining public improvements as just always provide more and additional vehicle access, via forever widening all roads and parking lots to popular destinations).

Of course, the actual designs themselves will have elements that benefit locals, some of which will be parking and vehicle restrictions - but the driver of the design needs to be to increase capacity, quality and ability for more people to enjoy the area.

I think it’s going to be a “be careful what you wish for” situation for some of the neighbours who probably just want to see fewer people in the area in general. Sure, the improvements are going to reduce vehicle traffic, but they will increase pedestrian activity (and you may find you have street festivals in front of your home a few weekends every summer).

I’m in favour of the proposed reduction in road widths and increase in public space. It’s one of the public spaces that makes Calgary so great! Would love for the City to look at opportunities to improve Crescent Heights Park.

I think Crescent Road needs a short term plan and a long term plan.
In the short term I would redevelop the south side of Crescent Heights Park into an event plaza with a small underground parkade.
This gives people a place to congregate off the road and park their vehicles.
In the long term I'd like to see the street turned into a woonerf and some of the land on the north side turned into restaurant space.

I'm okay with making changes to Crescent Road that might make it less open to car traffic, but the road and the hillside still belong to everyone, and that includes car traffic, even if it's cut back. Personally I would go with one parking lane and a one way lane, dedicating the other half of the road to pedestrian cyclists traffic. They already do this a little bit, they would only need to widen the current pathway.

Ultimately the root of this issue with Crescent Road is zoning. If the market were allowed to operate freely, we would be seeing the redevelopment of Crescent Road in a much more urban form - with low to mid rise condos (similar to the ridge east of Centre street) and even potentially some retail spaces. These uses would be much more compatible with a robust and active public realm vs. the (very ugly looking) single family mansions we are seeing. I could imagine the street developing a Vancouver seawall type vibe, capitalizing on the beautiful views up there. It could be a real asset for the city.

Unfortunately Rosedale is notorious for community opposition to essentially any type of change.

Crescent Road used to have multiple 4 plexs-yet the community acts as if protecting single family zoning is protecting history.

As for roads and parking: let’s get pay parking going there, for 4-midnight Friday-Sunday at least. With aggressive enforcement. Make it not free and perhaps the market will adjust without effectively privatizing a street.

The article does not mention who their partner is for residential development. They would not be doing this on their own.

Crescent Road used to have multiple 4 plexs-yet the community acts as if protecting single family zoning is protecting history.

As for roads and parking: let’s get pay parking going there, for 4-midnight Friday-Sunday at least. With aggressive enforcement. Make it not free and perhaps the market will adjust without effectively privatizing a street.
That and maybe it wouldn't hurt for the police to actually hand out a noise violation ticket. The community members also complained about drug deals going down. I'm not sure if there are any or not, but certainly it appears that way at times when I've been there. It wouldn't hurt the police to pay attention attention to that as well. The drug deals and loud mufflers are a small minority compared the the thousands who use it normally.

Back