News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Your parents are my age! Anyway, that reaction is understandable. But self-preservation wins out in the end for many people - the efficacy of the 4th dose to prevent more hospitalizations and deaths in older people is pretty clear. Unfortunately, the messaging about the 3rd dose has been really muddled and people are still saying they are fully vaccinated after only 2 doses, so I get why many are not interested.

I had to go to Shoppers this morning, just after opening, and there were already 4 old ladies using walkers demanding an appointment and arguing with the pharmacist (but they weren't set up yet to take them - nor is Toronto Public Health actually; no appointments were available when I could access the system, so that was a waste of time). In any event, you need to wait 5 months after the 3rd dose in most cases.
Our PHU uses the provincial booking system and the missus went on the day after the 4th dose announcement (Wed? Thur?) to at least book an appointment for late May for both of us. She was having no luck so called the health unit. They said they found out about it at the same time everybody else did so have not yet secured vaccination sites and had no idea what their vaccine supply will be.

Our PHU uses the provincial booking system and the missus went on the day after the 4th dose announcement (Wed? Thur?) to at least book an appointment for late May for both of us. She was having no luck so called the health unit. They said they found out about it at the same time everybody else did so have not yet secured vaccination sites and had no idea what their vaccine supply will be.
That's what I thought... In the end I got my husband an appointment next week at a local Shoppers. We'll see, as the government states: "You can receive a fourth dose (booster) at a recommended interval of five months (140 days) after your third dose if you are 60 years old or older [...] This may be given as early as three months (84 days)." I am certain this won't be interpreted the same way everywhere!

That's what I thought... In the end I got my husband an appointment next week at a local Shoppers. We'll see, as the government states: "You can receive a fourth dose (booster) at a recommended interval of five months (140 days) after your third dose if you are 60 years old or older [...] This may be given as early as three months (84 days)." I am certain this won't be interpreted the same way everywhere!

In previous go-rounds, we had no luck with our local small town Shoppers, and they expressed frustration with communications from their corporate level. Previous PHU vaccination campaigns used local arenas because they were sitting vacant but once they opened up again they resorted to a vacant storefront in a mall about 45 minutes away.

Nothing like clear government messaging; it's 140 days except when it's 84. Oh well - I'll leave it in her hands. She better designed to sit on the phone or computer than I am.

China is like a disturbing dystopian horror movie. People locked in their homes with no food screaming from their balconies. People starving in Covid camps. Pets stranded at home beaten to death by CCP stormtroopers.

China is like a disturbing dystopian horror movie. People locked in their homes with no food screaming from their balconies. People starving in Covid camps. Pets stranded at home beaten to death by CCP stormtroopers.

They aren't allowed to leave their apartments for literally any reason except they are dying right? I read even grocery stores are closed, and you can only order food for delivery. My understanding of the local Shanghai culture is that eating out for most or all meals is significantly more frequent and common than here, and that even upper middle class people tend to keep much more limited food supplies at home than an average Canadian to a point that for some even having the common elements of food for cooking, like having a box of salt and sugar on hand, a bag of flour (or whatever starch equivalent), eggs, and butter or cooking oil in sufficient quantity that it would last for many days of cooking meals is uncommon.
The hubris involved in thinking they could keep it away forever, and make no rational plan for when it happened is astounding.

Last edited:
As I predicted, my 69-year old husband was denied a vaccine today because the staff thought it was too early (he got his third shot on Dec. 16). It seems impossible for this government to communicate clearly and it wastes everyone's time... No appointments showing on the provincial website; I called TPH and was connected to an operator who had me repeat information three times, couldn't find my husband's file and had such a heavy accent that it became a dialogue of the deaf (it would have been even more so had my husband called himself, since he has actually a profound hearing loss).

Last edited:
As I predicted, my 69-year old husband was denied a vaccine today because the staff thought it was too early (he got his third shot on Dec. 16). It seems impossible for this government to communicate clearly and it wastes everyone's time... No appointments showing on the provincial website; I called TPH and was connected to an operator who had me repeat information three times, couldn't find my husband's file and had such a heavy accent that it became a dialogue of the deaf (it would have been even more so had my husband called himself, since he has actually a profound hearing loss).
Worse are the fine print and can't find your reading glasses. Then we need a lawyer to interpret the meaning of the words and sentences used. And another interpreter to translate that into household grade 8 English and Math.

You are not wrong, and it appears that the dystopian plot thickens in China. Police forcibly removing people from a housing complex in Shanghai, clashed with residents when they came to actually get them. Quite astonishing footage of public fighting police that may make an impact if circulated widely.

It’s hard to conceive a lockdown in this huge urban centre with the population that is, what, 80% that of our national population? But although their vaccine appears to give some protection, there seems to be concern over the efficacy of Sinovac. And I heard on the Twitter rumour mill (lol) there was discussion of US send China other vaccines in return for pressure on Russia.

Doubts over efficacy of Chinese vaccines stoke anxiety at home and abroad

Last edited:
You are not wrong, and it appears that the dystopian plot thickens in China. Police forcibly removing people from a housing complex in Shanghai, clashed with residents when they came to actually get them. Quite astonishing footage of public fighting police that may make an impact if circulated widely.

It’s hard to conceive a lockdown in this huge urban centre with the population that is, what, 80% that of our national population? But although their vaccine appears to give some protection, there seems to be concern over the efficacy of Sinovac. And I heard on the Twitter rumour mill (lol) there was discussion of US send China other vaccines in return for pressure on Russia.

Doubts over efficacy of Chinese vaccines stoke anxiety at home and abroad
I've stayed away from this thread for a while, but having lived in China and knowing lots of people there I wanted to chime in.

China's covid strategy is baffling, it worked initially but they didnt use the two years they bought themselves to put any plan in place. Tolerance for the zero covid approach was already waning before the Shanghai outbreak and omicron is considerably more infectious and less deadly than the original strain that triggered a similar response in Wuhan.

Not only have these measures proved ineffective in Shanghai so far, they're arguably more severe than Wuhan and make way less sense. It truly is a dystopian nightmare and I've never seen so much backlash on chinese social media. A couple days ago netizans managed to hijack several hashtags on wiebo about U.S. human rights and corruption to complain about human rights issues and corruption in China. They were #1 and 2 trending on wiebo for hours before the sensors caught on. There is a lot of discontent in China right now and this has wider political ramifications Chinese policy. For example, when discontent grows within China, they try to stoke nationalism to distract from whatever the problem may be, which could explain recent intelligence reports that China is planning fresh incursions in India.

Likewise, this is going to further dent the global supply chain because Shanghai is a major global port city.

I've stayed away from this thread for a while, but having lived in China and knowing lots of people there I wanted to chime in.

China's covid strategy is baffling, it worked initially but they didnt use the two years they bought themselves to put any plan in place. Tolerance for the zero covid approach was already waning before the Shanghai outbreak and omicron is considerably more infectious and less deadly than the original strain that triggered a similar response in Wuhan.

Not only have these measures proved ineffective in Shanghai so far, they're arguably more severe than Wuhan and make way less sense. It truly is a dystopian nightmare and I've never seen so much backlash on chinese social media. A couple days ago netizans managed to hijack several hashtags on wiebo about U.S. human rights and corruption to complain about human rights issues and corruption in China. They were #1 and 2 trending on wiebo for hours before the sensors caught on. There is a lot of discontent in China right now and this has wider political ramifications Chinese policy. For example, when discontent grows within China, they try to stoke nationalism to distract from whatever the problem may be, which could explain recent intelligence reports that China is planning fresh incursions in India.

Likewise, this is going to further dent the global supply chain because Shanghai is a major global port city.

It makes perfect sense if you put it into the political context - the Communist Party National Congress is coming up in the fall and Xi's own political aspirations (i.e. Third Term). My guess is no relaxing will happen until after that because you don't rock the boat in the run-up. There are already some suggestions blaming officials in Shanghai as well - and this fits into Xi's own background and his centralization of power (vs. traditional factional politics in CCP - and the influence of the so called "Shanghai Gang").

AoD

Last edited:
It makes perfect sense if you put it into the political context - the Communist Party National Congress is coming up in the fall and Xi's own political aspirations (i.e. Third Term). My guess is no relaxing will happen until after that because you don't rock the boat in the run-up. There are already some suggestions blaming officials in Shanghai as well - and this fits into Xi's own background and his centralization of power (vs. traditional factional politics in CCP - and the influence of the so called "Shanghai Gang").

AoD
Absolutely agree. It totally makes sense within the game of CCP politics. It doesn't make sense logically and from a public health perspective, but it does help Xi further solidify his iron grip and centralization as you note, and I do think stirring even more nationalist sentiment is also apart of the plan.

1650646051294.png

Back