News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Does that mean fewer U.S. and international flights? That is too bad if it means fewer direct flight options outside the country, from Calgary

My initial reaction is that they want to offer more nonstops from Calgary on less competitive US and Canadian routes, where they will likely be the only carrier flying the route. Think Calgary-Boston, Calgary-Charlottetown, Calgary-Nashville. They probably want to pull back on competing with Air Canada or other full service carriers on routes like Toronto-Montreal and Toronto-London.

Upshot for Calgary is probably more choice of direct destinations, but more expensive fares to get there.

My initial reaction is that they want to offer more nonstops from Calgary on less competitive US and Canadian routes, where they will likely be the only carrier flying the route. Think Calgary-Boston, Calgary-Charlottetown, Calgary-Nashville. They probably want to pull back on competing with Air Canada or other full service carriers on routes like Toronto-Montreal and Toronto-London.

Upshot for Calgary is probably more choice of direct destinations, but more expensive fares to get there.
More expensive fares with less comforts coming up!

I'm no WestJet fans but this is a case of boourns to me.... I wanted to see more YYC Europe flights.
I'm not sure how to interpret the article. On one hand it feels like we could end up getting more oversea flights as Calgary is their main hub and with them concentrating on the west it could mean less flights to Europe from Toronto and more for Calgary instead, or on the other hand it could mean a lot more local flights around western Canada....or both. My interpretation was that they want to pare down on flights in or from Eastern Canada that don't involve western Canada destinations (ie Toronto to Barcelona)

1655817608263.png

Getting some positive momentum finally

Single family starts have been on a steady increase since 2020. Multi-family (other than purpose rental) not so much. With rising interest rates, we will see whether that impairs further growth.
In the meantime, it is positive for sure!

Calgary ranked 3rd in the world for liveability: The Economist

Not sure why we got top scores for Infrastructure though. Because most people drive and congestion is low? I know most of our other engineering infrastructure is world class.

1656009188248.png

Haha the new Detroit indeed. 7 years later still crushing.

Good thing they don't evaluate housing costs or the list would be completely different, as all of those top 10 cities are prohibitively expensive. Calgary might have been the only one of those cities in the list lol. ,...Melbourne maybe.

Back