News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The draft Chinatown ARP has been released for feedback: https://engage.calgary.ca/tomorrows-chinatown/ARP
Thanks for sharing.

Just going over the slide notes, it mentions that the city is interested in creating gateways to Chinatown but "[w]hat is meant by gateways is not necessarily a physical structure".

Just a bit disappointed by this statement as Calgary's Chinatown is one of the only major city Chinatowns in Canada without a gateway. I was even hoping that one could have been built in celebration of Chinatown's 100 anniversary in 2020, but perhaps a physical gate can be incorporated as a symbol of the revitalization plans.

Banded Peak is getting some influx of money and redeveloping their space. I was hoping for some of this when Labatt bought them. Big sign when you drive by, can't find an online render.
That area could use some money but tough spot to invest in.

Banded Peak is getting some influx of money and redeveloping their space. I was hoping for some of this when Labatt bought them. Big sign when you drive by, can't find an online render.
That area could use some money but tough spot to invest in.
As long as they don't get an influx of Labatt's beer recipes.

I could see that whole Burnsland/Barley Belt area becoming a major urban reclamation project in, say, 20-30 years. It's already got lots of neat restaurants and breweries. When downtown is more built up, I could imagine some highrises being built there especially if the city ran some main street projects and beautified the area.

I wonder if we're going to see that as the Cowboys Stampede tent or if Covid finally killed Cowboys? Pennylane Entertainment owns the nightclub but to my knowledge the nightclub hasn't re-opened and last Stampede they didn't have the Cowboys tent. Love it or hate it, Pennylane shuttering the nightclub and ditching the branding would be the death of a Calgary institution that was well known by people outside our city (I've traveled to England and people I met there knew about the mountains, Banff and Cowboys when I mentioned I was from Calgary). Curious to see what happens.
Interesting that this is no longer on the Dmap. The other tent at the same address is under appeal...

I only just noticed this development on 16th st sw (Altadore) the other day.

I wish we had a thousand of these. Not necessarily this exact design materials, etc, but corner lot developments of this layout on semi busy streets.

1D9AF4E8-7A9F-4EA6-8ED3-B6DF968740BD.jpeg

Is there another tent that I am missing? It looks like both that I am aware of are still on Dmap.
Badlands Music Festival tent on 9th Ave, between 8th and 5th Street (old Roadhouse one):
edit: Nevermine, sorry, just rereading the posts related to this, about how the orignal DP is not there, and this one is under appeal.... Maybe they are appealing a condition of approval, simlar to what Cowboys had to do in 2019.

Cowboys music tent on the Stampede Grounds:

I know in 2019 Cowboys had to appeal their own tent's approval, to fight the condition that was placed on it, that it was to close at 11:OO PM for some reason. The appeal was successful, and they were able to maintain normal bar hours.

I
I only just noticed this development on 16th st sw (Altadore) the other day.

I wish we had a thousand of these. Not necessarily this exact design materials, etc, but corner lot developments of this layout on semi busy streets.

View attachment 408763

It’s a RNDSQR development completed in 2017.

Neighbour Coffee on the corner is popular with the community.

I agree that these types of developments are a great way to incorporate commercial right in the middle of residential neighborhoods. Contextual building. No surface parking lot.

I

It’s a RNDSQR development completed in 2017.

Neighbour Coffee on the corner is popular with the community.

I agree that these types of developments are a great way to incorporate commercial right in the middle of residential neighborhoods. Contextual building. No surface parking lot.
It looked like a nice little place. I almost stopped in for a coffee.

Back