News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

And 2 of the 3 major parties have cancelled various parts. One of the 2 have won an election saying they will bring it back, and it is still not back.
Forgive me for not believing them.

You mean Dalton Miginty? The former liberal leader of Ontario?

What they should have done was to do a review of it and figure out how to make it more efficient.
I guess you missed all of the studies that had suggested just that, and how to do it, and the fact the the Agency had no interest in pursuing any of them.

Also, putting the entirety of the blame on the Government of Dalton McGuinty is also more than slightly revisionist. The government of Mike Harris started that whole ball rolling in 2002.

Dan

Last edited:

What they should have done was to do a review of it and figure out how to make it more efficient.
No, all of the politicians of the 2 parties that did the cuts. I don't blame leaders as I don't elect leaders. I blame politicians as I elect politicians.

There were 100% problems with the old service, but I am still undecided if cancelling it was the wrong thing to do. Part of me wonders if there is a cap to how efficient you can make rail in this corridor and if bus really is the best choice, especially given the BCR in the business case.

I feel as if the bus gets a bad rap rather unfairly.

There were 100% problems with the old service, but I am still undecided if cancelling it was the wrong thing to do. Part of me wonders if there is a cap to how efficient you can make rail in this corridor and if bus really is the best choice, especially given the BCR in the business case.

There are lots of applications where intercity bus is the right choice.

In this case, the train clearly offers a higher value than bus - both in terms of amenities on a fairly long distance jouney, and in terms of weather related safety and reliability factors - but at a hugely higher cost.

We have cycled thru the bus vs train debate several times. It has never really been about bus being being unsuitable, it’s more about whether it’s good enough to fulfil the need, and therefore whether the added cost of brining back the train is a good use of money as opposed to spending that money to benefit the North in some other way.

The voices in the North seem to feel the train is where they want the money spent, and I’m good with that, provided those voices accept that they are making a choice that leaves some other opportunity unfunded. The bigger envelope is not elastic.

- Paul

Last edited:

How do people of Toronto feel when parts of their subway are show down for maintenance for a weekend? That is how people have felt about the train being cut. So, if the bus is so good, why do people of Toronto complain when it happens for 2 days?

Back