News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

How about using Surplus GO Bi-levels, and some F59PH?
I do recall a fairly recent reveal that they just bought new (used) motive power from the US. I don't think it was an official presser, probably a railfan sighting. I can't be bothered hunting it down.

Using bi-levels might get things up a running faster, but they would eventually need refurbishing anyway, if for no other reason than to improve the seats for non-commute service. I still have this enduring concern - perhaps unfounded - about upper level comfort on a lot of the roadbed.

I'm not sure of the need to race this along. There are no facilities at Timmins, no agreements that I am aware of for use of other stations (eager passengers would probably be happy with rail side or a parking lot but I imagine there are rules), crews to hire and train, possibly no access agreement for use of CN trackage and on and on.

Didn't they commit 75m to new rolling stock? Or was that for the whole project?

They could just tack into the VIA Siemens order and convert one car to sleepers.

They promised it for the whole project.
The problem is that we would see the last ones being made. That may delay the reintroduction even longer.

How about using Surplus GO Bi-levels, and some F59PH?

They tried that with the PBX.The track makes the upper level unusable due to the swaying.

I do recall a fairly recent reveal that they just bought new (used) motive power from the US. I don't think it was an official presser, probably a railfan sighting. I can't be bothered hunting it down.

Using bi-levels might get things up a running faster, but they would eventually need refurbishing anyway, if for no other reason than to improve the seats for non-commute service. I still have this enduring concern - perhaps unfounded - about upper level comfort on a lot of the roadbed.

I'm not sure of the need to race this along. There are no facilities at Timmins, no agreements that I am aware of for use of other stations (eager passengers would probably be happy with rail side or a parking lot but I imagine there are rules), crews to hire and train, possibly no access agreement for use of CN trackage and on and on.

It was not an official presser.

They promised it for the whole project.
The problem is that we would see the last ones being made. That may delay the reintroduction even longer.

They tried that with the PBX.The track makes the upper level unusable due to the swaying.

It was not an official presser.
Won't they be improving track conditions? They could make improvements to make it possible to run bi-levels. Unless there are more ex GO cars from Montreal they could refurbish.

All of the circus cars have been taken or vandalized.

I don't think you want horizon or Amfleets.

Won't they be improving track conditions? They could make improvements to make it possible to run bi-levels. Unless there are more ex GO cars from Montreal they could refurbish.

What is the quickest way to get it back on track? That is what I want.

I highly doubt the money earmarked for the service would cover significant track improvements, considering they will have to build a Timmins terminal, upgrade the associated trackage (the last few clicks of the line haven't been used in years), re-establish stations, buy/build rolling stock, and on and on. Keep in mind that any improvements between Washago and North Bay would be cutting a cheque to CN, and they seem to treat such payments from client users as a bit of a candy dish. I am guessing the Bala sub. to Washago is in pretty acceptable condition.

I am guessing that they still have a fleet of the former GO single level cars sitting in Cochrane, but haven't seen a current roster. I read about them giving away a couple to the York -Durham HRR. What is there, if they choose to use them, will need work whether or not they get refurbished, if for no other reason that they have sat for a decade or so.

I don't know what circus cars are.

I am guessing that they still have a fleet of the former GO single level cars sitting in Cochrane, but haven't seen a current roster. I read about them giving away a couple to the York -Durham HRR. What is there, if they choose to use them, will need work whether or not they get refurbished, if for no other reason that they have sat for a decade or so.
I think that is the case. Either that or the old PBX cars.

I think that is the case. Either that or the old PBX cars.
I look at them as a single fleet - passengers carriages on the ONR roster. All, or nearly all, of the ones used on the PBX have been refurbished over the past couple of years.

The also have one or possibly two dome cars (ex BC Rail I think) for use on the PBX during the summer tourist season.

I look at them as a single fleet - passengers carriages on the ONR roster. All, or nearly all, of the ones used on the PBX have been refurbished over the past couple of years.

The also have one or possibly two dome cars (ex BC Rail I think) for use on the PBX during the summer tourist season.
They could refurbish the old ones and have them ready fairly quickly for Northlander service.

I feel if a Tender does not go out soon for the construction of a new Timmins Station, this project is dead.

They could refurbish the old ones and have them ready fairly quickly for Northlander service.

I feel if a Tender does not go out soon for the construction of a new Timmins Station, this project is dead.
Also not sure if the Liberals would support this project. The NDP might.

I wonder if we should assume that with Metrolinx being involved in this work along with Ontario Northland that there will be a split between the two where ONTC is the railway owner (e.g. track, signaling, freight operations, and refurbishment shop), and Metrolinx owns and looks after all passenger service related operations (i.e. staffing, fleet, stations). If that is the case one would expect that any passenger cars used would be the older existing equipment that was used on their test run, bi-levels, or future single deck fleet that would be used in the GO network as well. They should probably merge the bus operations into Metrolinx too. Economies of scale for HR, training, etc.

Then they should extend presto to all of the transit agencies that connect to the train.
They can't even do this with the GO train. Grand River Transit, Barrie, St Catharines don't use Presto.

Just stick to paper and mobile tickets for any Ontario Northland services. No reason to complicate it and create unnecessary barriers

Back