News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It seems CMLC has gone downhill with all of the turnover they've had since the completion of the library.

Between this, the BMO expansion which is turning our poorly (at least from an urban design standpoint), the terrible Platform parkade, and their failure on the arena project - there's not a lot of positives.
Is it CMLC though? Or is it the mandate city council is giving CMLC?

Do they own the streets as well?

Honestly, how did we get to a point where an unelected board of elderly corporate suits (who like to put on cowboy hats and play at being blue collar) control such a huge swath of the city? How have we continued to tolerate their control after decades and decades of doing nothing but building parking lots? Everything they touch is an absolute failure.
Yes.City roads = white for the most part. Stampede Roads = not white.

1656000128493.png

Since we are on the topic of how badly CMLC, the Stampede, CSEC, and the city are at building anything, here is a link to new renders out of Ottawa for their new arena proposal. Holy shit it blows what we came up with out of the water. It is designed by Populous so there is no surprise it's head and shoulders above the junk HOK puts out. After seeing this design I'm so happy the Calgary arena fell apart. When the time comes to revive the arena, they better go back to the drawing board on it.
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229534&page=307

Is it CMLC though? Or is it the mandate city council is giving CMLC?
I doubt the City is mandating the poor urban design (and architectural) decisions that have been made, for example:
- Lack of glazing/permeability/retail at the SW corner of the BMO Centre immediately adjacent to where we are investing $50 million to extend 17th
- Building an $80 million publicly funded parkade that was supposed to be easily convertible to an alternate use yet has slabs sloped at 4%! And the at grade office/potential retail space that does exist has terrible street presence: hidden behind the metal rod façade and separated from the sidewalk by raised planters
- Their involvement in the initial design of the arena that is thankfully dead
- The Victoria Park master plan (ARP) is underwhelming compared to the East Village master plan from years ago

It just seems to me that the attention to detail is slipping. I don't want to be completely negative because CMLC has done some really great work in the past.

Since we are on the topic of how badly CMLC, the Stampede, CSEC, and the city are at building anything, here is a link to new renders out of Ottawa for their new arena proposal. Holy shit it blows what we came up with out of the water. It is designed by Populous so there is no surprise it's head and shoulders above the junk HOK puts out. After seeing this design I'm so happy the Calgary arena fell apart. When the time comes to revive the arena, they better go back to the drawing board on it.
Like I don't get why this city always fails with these massive projects. Like even Ottawa can eventually pump out something good, while all our massive developments blow nowadays

It's all down to corporate greed driving design instead of innovation and open minded design. The Stampede want's that parking revenue so of course they're going to get in the way of bike lanes in favour of excessive laybys and an entire parking lane. Same reason an unneeded parking garage was in the Event Centre design and indoor bike parking was a last minute add on.

The city will stop catering to cars when something less than 90% of the city doesn't live in car oriented suburbs.

There are thousands of voters in this city who want no investment into bike lanes at all and while they will probably never even use this road I guarantee if they hear bike lanes the next thing out of their mouths will be "waste of taxpayer dollars".

Really like that Ottawa design. Can’t even tell it’s an arena.

Do they own the streets as well?

Honestly, how did we get to a point where an unelected board of elderly corporate suits (who like to put on cowboy hats and play at being blue collar) control such a huge swath of the city? How have we continued to tolerate their control after decades and decades of doing nothing but building parking lots? Everything they touch is an absolute failure.
The answer is money of course.

It's their land from 12th to the river, so probable some power I'm sure.
As I recall, the city holds title to all of the Stampede land and leases the portion of land, from roughly south of 14th ave to the Elbow, to the Stampede. The lands north of 14th, including Olympic Way, are also owned by the city.

Back