A joint venture of Truman, Certus, RNDSQR, Intergulf, Hines, and Cidex (just kidding, no Cidex) with their own developments/Architects sharing an underground parkade(s) would make for a more interesting area than the uniformity we’ll eventually get.
This 100%. I'd much prefer to see the project divided up between developers, so we don't get a batch of identical towers with matching podiums. Could throw in Battistella too.

I'd far, far, far rather see a collection of individual buildings by different architects and developers. A project like that might even create some friendly competition for coolest designs.

This 100%. I'd much prefer to see the project divided up between developers, so we don't get a batch of identical towers with matching podiums. Could throw in Battistella too.

I'd far, far, far rather see a collection of individual buildings by different architects and developers. A project like that might even create some friendly competition for coolest designs.
And Bucci, if they ever wanted to build residential in Calgary again after Dominion

Every time I walk past this block I think of how great it would be if it was the paint was sandblasted off and the brick restored. Change out the glass on the main floors and it would be a great heritage restoration to anchor 1st St SW. A lot of buildings along Stephen Avenue resembled this block during the 90s and look how great that area is now after land owners invested in some TLC. Same could be done here. Truman does nice projects but it would definitely be a shame to see this built here. I would much rather see Truman invest in restoring the building since they obviously own it already.
I did this a while back although it appears I got the colour of the brick wrong

Underwood Block.jpg

Here is the obvious solution... 😅 /s

gsjoa.PNG

Last edited:
Has Dominion not gone well for them? Looks spectacular, but that obviously isn't the whole story.
They said something about pulling out of the Calgary market after Dominion, I believe they tried doing condos for Dominion (like Radius) but the condo market just isn't very good and I don't think they want to focus on rentals forever.

That being said, it may change now that oil is hot again, so they might end up revisiting that since they have done a lot of work in Calgary before

They said something about pulling out of the Calgary market after Dominion, I believe they tried doing condos for Dominion (like Radius) but the condo market just isn't very good and I don't think they want to focus on rentals forever.

That being said, it may change now that oil is hot again, so they might end up revisiting that since they have done a lot of work in Calgary before
Half a million for 750 square feet isn't going to work in Calgary at this point.

Agreed, building is nice but fuck that location. Take the design and plunk it on any one of the million parking lots nearby, the existing building serves a function and is historic. Build the urban fabric stop tearing down buildings and replacing them when we have vast swaths of empty wasteland parking lots.
That being said, I think this proposal looks super nice, honestly the nicest tower proposal i have seen in Calgary in a long time. I would definitely like to see it get built, I would just prefer it in a hole in our urban fabric that doesn’t take out a vibrant historic commercial building.

Also curious to see what the saleable $psf is, as it feels like a Toronto investor focussed building, which is seemingly fleeting right now with a bear market particularly on concrete forsale product.

I dig the approach to the design, looks good all around.

Last edited:

Back