News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

What if they come in on a bus or streetcar and want to head north or south? Do you really think it's right to say that people who can't use stairs should exit the station and walk to another entrance so that they can use the accessibility features of it?

No but if they need to go north or south from Spadina, the easiest option would be to go to St George. It is actually a tad bit faster than walking for a normal able bodied person. They can get off a bus or streetcar and head down to Line 2 rather easily.

Taking an elevator to and from a bus or streetcar, then walking down a long corridor to take another elevator is a pain in the ass for anyone with mobility issues. It would be easier to take the elevator to Line 2, zip one stop over and take the elevator from St George. Less walking and less fuddling around.

No but if they need to go north or south from Spadina, the easiest option would be to go to St George. It is actually a tad bit faster than walking for a normal able bodied person. They can get off a bus or streetcar and head down to Line 2 rather easily.

Taking an elevator to and from a bus or streetcar, then walking down a long corridor to take another elevator is a pain in the ass for anyone with mobility issues. It would be easier to take the elevator to Line 2, zip one stop over and take the elevator from St George. Less walking and less fuddling around.
Again you think it's ok to inconvenience people just because you don't think it's a good transfer. If they went with your suggestions then it would be all over the news that the TTC is making it inconvenient for people who need elevators to transfer at Spadina.

Pape was the best station done during the whole station revitalization era which was originally slated for: Dufferin, Bloor-Yonge, Kipling, Islington, Museum, St. Patrick and Osgoode.

Of course in typical TTC fashion, they never saw the whole project through. Museum was cheaped out on, Dufferin had aspects changed from the original plan (platform level was cheaped out on), Kipling took forever and cant really call it a revitalization asides from platform panel replacement. Bloor-Yonge never happened, Islington never happened, St.Patrick never happened, and Osgoode is laughable.
Pape is infested with gigantic rats since the renovation. The new walls were simply placed on top of the old walls with a railing system, leaving a void between the walls. The E/B platform is the worst part of the station for rats. I’m talking squirrel sized rats 🐀

Pape is infested with gigantic rats since the renovation. The new walls were simply placed on top of the old walls with a railing system, leaving a void between the walls. The E/B platform is the worst part of the station for rats. I’m talking squirrel sized rats 🐀
I've been to Pape a fair deal of times and i've yet to see any...and I hope my streak of not seeing them continues.

True but let's be real here. There is no easy way to retrofit Spadina station.
What makes the Kendal entrance so much more difficult to make accessible than other locations?

Or what makes it so difficult to put a proper entrance into the quite large concourse at the Lowther end of the Line 1 platform?

I can't see how not providing elevator access from the street to the platform meets the AODA, when the quickest alternative is to head north to the next station. I'm not thinking about Line 1/2 transfers here (which the design seems to deal with well); just street access to the Line 1 platform.

I've been to Pape a fair deal of times and i've yet to see any...and I hope my streak of not seeing them continues.
I wouldn't be surprised if there's things living between the walls there - though I'd be surprised if gigantic rats would have squeezed into that quite narrow gap; though there's likely other places they can be.

I too use Pape - and haven't seen anything - other than the pigeons that still love that platform despite the closure of the outdoor entrances to that station

What makes the Kendal entrance so much more difficult to make accessible than other locations?

Or what makes it so difficult to put a proper entrance into the quite large concourse at the Lowther end of the Line 1 platform?

I can't see how not providing elevator access from the street to the platform meets the AODA, when the quickest alternative is to head north to the next station. I'm not thinking about Line 1/2 transfers here (which the design seems to deal with well); just street access to the Line 1 platform.

As I said in a previous post, I am all for the addition of an elevator at the Kendal entrance. I am just saying the long corridor between Line 1 and Line 2 makes an elevator at the Line 1 station a waste of time given how much it will be used.

It is far more cumbersome to walk down that long corridor and transfer at Spadina than it is to transfer at St George if you have mobility issues.

As I said in a previous post, I am all for the addition of an elevator at the Kendal entrance. I am just saying the long corridor between Line 1 and Line 2 makes an elevator at the Line 1 station a waste of time given how much it will be used.
That is likely true of almost all the elevators on the system; this doesn't matter under the law.

It is far more cumbersome to walk down that long corridor and transfer at Spadina than it is to transfer at St George if you have mobility issues.
For the third time - I'm not talking about changing trains. I'm simply talking about someone, who say works or lives at Kendall and Spadina gets to the Line 1 subway platform.

Why even have an entrance at all then at Kendall and have everyone instead walk.

If you want to talk how crappy accessibility is on the TTC, you can pretty much say everything is a band-aid solution. Elevators are fitted in here and there cause of the station layout design don't support a single vertical shaft. Which meant having riders use multiple elevators to get around.

If a station just needs an elevator from platform to entrance, this design is sufficient to meet accessibility requirements. Just not user friendly as the entire station isn't.

That is likely true of almost all the elevators on the system; this doesn't matter under the law.

For the third time - I'm not talking about changing trains. I'm simply talking about someone, who say works or lives at Kendall and Spadina gets to the Line 1 subway platform.

Why even have an entrance at all then at Kendall and have everyone instead walk.

Kendal may have been there for fire code reasons nothing more. Honestly, with the station they size that it is I can see why they would do it.

Do keep in mind that Spadina was originally supposed to be a terminal station and designed as such. It was never supposed to be one station and instead supposed to be a separate station called Lowther. The idea was that Spadina would be the end of the line if the University Line proved to be a bust hence why there is a crossover north of the station and Spadina on the rollsigns.

The Kendal entrance was likely a throwback to the original station design and nothing more. Though again, it may have something to do with the fact that Spadina is the largest station in the network. It would make sense to have an exit there if for no reason other than emergency access.

Do keep in mind that Spadina was originally supposed to be a terminal station and designed as such.
I don't think that's correct.

The original Line 1 terminal was St. George, before it was extended to Wilson, including Spadina (line 1) and Dupont in 1978.

I thought the history was that it was designed originally as a separate station, and the connecting tunnel was an afterthought.

I don't think that's correct.

The original Line 1 terminal was St. George, before it was extended to Wilson, including Spadina (line 1) and Dupont in 1978.

I thought the history was that it was designed originally as a separate station, and the connecting tunnel was an afterthought.

Originally, the Spadina line was to terminate at Spadina when the University line was closed. Originally the University line closed early every day and I believe on weekends so the idea was to terminate trains at Spadina.

All of the older stations have voids between the structural walls and the surface tiling - Pape is no different.

Dan

I decided to colour the TTC streetcar lines so I could make better sense of them. Did I make any mistakes?
TTC_SubwayStreetcarMap_2021-11-1.png

Originally, the Spadina line was to terminate at Spadina when the University line was closed. Originally the University line closed early every day and I believe on weekends so the idea was to terminate trains at Spadina.
Oh, you mean that there'd be trains running only from Wilson to Spadina. I hadn't heard that. I'm not sure they'd ever plan that - they could just as easily do it at St. George.

Why on earth was there to be service on Yonge and Spadina but not University? Surely if the University line was too quiet to justify running at all times, Spadina would be even worse since it didn't run directly under downtown?

Back