News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

00-DSC_2593.JPG

Kind of a weird one, being sold as a bike lane but it's really for traffic calming. Such a short distance in a community full of pathways that it doesn't really connect any missing links, unless I'm missing something here.

Hmm..I don't see any commuters detouring off the pathway to a short stretch of bike lanes with a few traffic lights...it's a bit of headscratcher to include that in the rationale:
Having a dedicated bike lane to make 18th Street a more desirable route than the Carburn pathway for commuter cyclists, thereby reducing volume and speeds through the park and improving park user experience.

Too many cyclists going too fast sounds like a great problem to have. There should be plenty of space to twin a wheeling-only lane from Deerfoot to Carburn Ped Bridge. At which point you could encourage commuters to cross west of the river where the pathway is flatter, more suited to higher speeds, and has fewer pedestrians (aside from the off-leash areas, which are thankfully fenced with only a few specific ped intersections).

Could it be as simple as a 25 or 30kph speed limit on the west side and a 15kph limit through the rest of Carburn Park?

Hmm..I don't see any commuters detouring off the pathway to a short stretch of bike lanes with a few traffic lights...it's a bit of headscratcher to include that in the rationale:

Too many cyclists going too fast sounds like a great problem to have. There should be plenty of space to twin a wheeling-only lane from Deerfoot to Carburn Ped Bridge. At which point you could encourage commuters to cross west of the river where the pathway is flatter, more suited to higher speeds, and has fewer pedestrians (aside from the off-leash areas, which are thankfully fenced with only a few specific ped intersections).

Could it be as simple as a 25 or 30kph speed limit on the west side and a 15kph limit through the rest of Carburn Park?
Carburn already has a 10kph limit through the park pathway itself, but nobody follows it as you can imagine.

Kind of a weird one, being sold as a bike lane but it's really for traffic calming. Such a short distance in a community full of pathways that it doesn't really connect any missing links, unless I'm missing something here.

If this comes back after the pilot I'd like to see it go all the way north to at least 76 ave to be more useful

All these adaptive projects are a good idea but the cycling stuff is just a red herring - they clearly aren't looking at actually cycling connectivity unless they expand this in future phases to the add protected cycling infrastructure on the sections where the car traffic is highest (and therefore where the infrastructure and missing link is actually most critical). I doubt they are doing that as there doesn't seem to be any interest in fixing the real problems for cycling connectivity in the area - the car-oriented Quarry Park and the death-trap of Glenmore Trail /18 Street SE intersection

Regardless of the lack of cycling benefit, reducing the roadway will yield the other benefits - slow traffic, reduce noise etc.

So what really is this type of project? It's actually closer to a sound barrier program than an active transportation system program. The goal is simply to mitigate the local effects of overbuilding major roads through neighbourhoods. The bicycle stuff is incidental and largely a byproduct of having zero appetite/mechanism to dispose of unneeded right-of-way to other uses. I sure hope the budget for this stuff comes from the Roads department, not active transportation programs!

Now what would actually make a difference for active transportation in the area? Pretend the river pathway is an underbuilt road - make it wider. Separate cycling path from walkers. Add lighting and better wayfinding Widen and smooth out curves so higher speeds are safer. All the tricks that makes 18 Street SE overbuilt for cars should be applied for bicycles on the existing, underbuilt pathway system.

Carburn already has a 10kph limit through the park pathway itself, but nobody follows it as you can imagine.
Has anyone seen someone get a speeding ticket on a bicycle or a scooter for that matter? On dual purpose pathways, I am surprised there are not more accidents with pedestrians, the way some cyclists and scooters dart in and out of people walking. If there are accidents with any kind of frequency how and where would they be reported?

I've heard of tickets being handed out in the Eau Claire area before, but I've never seen it personally. I easily hit 35-40km/h on the bike pathways in a lot of spots, so I really hope they don't decide to do a blitz any time soon! lol

I've heard of tickets being handed out in the Eau Claire area before, but I've never seen it personally. I easily hit 35-40km/h on the bike pathways in a lot of spots, so I really hope they don't decide to do a blitz any time soon! lol
I usually don't get much above 25kmh, but when I go down the 12th ave track, and pass through the school zone, I like to race the cars lol. Quite often I'm going faster than they are, so I'm assuming it would be up in the 35km/h range.

On a more serious side, there are cyclists that give the others a bad name. Like you I got fast on stretches where there aren't people, or on a dedicated path, but I see people ripping along busy paths sometimes, and they think as long as they ding the bell they can crank it through busy areas.

Back