News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Does anybody know what is going on with the Crosstown LRT from a completion update stand point? The last was Phil Vester's letter stating no timeline followed by CBC news reporting an insider has mentioned the line will come in operation at the end of 2023.

Or does no one including Metrolinx, Ministry of Transportation, TTC, Crosslinx Consortium have any idea when this line will become open?
I honestly think that nobody will believe any completion date anyone gives at this point thus the silence. I don’t think we will hear any date given until they are literally down to last finishing touches

Though we definitely do have a lot more of a me me me mindset, having a soft "re-certification" process is not a bad idea (which is essentially what having to watch a video & complete a quiz is). Most professions require a certain amount of learning hours to keep one's license, so why not driving? I learned to drive in a small town and yeah, I could have studied again on my own once I moved to Toronto, but I doubt I'm the only lazy-ass who a) didn't & b) forgot all those "theoretical" rules that hadn't applied before. It would also update anyone who may have gotten their license before a new traffic rule came into effect. Instead of discounting the idea entirely, we could tweak it.
I would support a re certification. I feel though 99% of the infractions I see are due to selfishness

I believe it's tougher to be licensed now than it was in your apparently pre-metric system times.

First of all, road tests in Ontario aren't taken in parking lots, and secondly, you now need to take two ~30 minute road tests, not just one.
The first road test is on regular roads but avoids 400-series highways, per G1 licence restrictions.
The second test does involve 400-series highways.
There is also the factor of luck, not everyone has the same experience during these exams. Sometimes you're the last student that the examiner has to do for the day, and you can reach a point where all he wants to do is just get it over with and not be as diligent as usual.

There is also the factor of luck, not everyone has the same experience during these exams. Sometimes you're the last student that the examiner has to do for the day, and you can reach a point where all he wants to do is just get it over with and not be as diligent as usual.

The luck factor is definitely there. I know someone who failed their exam because of an issue at a pedestrian crosswalk. Had there not been a pedestrian attempting to cross at that exact moment, the boo-boo would never have happened. There is a certain amount of randomness to driver exams based on what traffic conditions appear etc.

At the same time, the examiners have their tricks, They know the location of every oddball regulatory sign in the area, and can vary the route to take a marginal test-taker past the trickier signs, to see if they spot and comply. An easy way to justify a fail if the candidate is borderline.

- Paul

Does anybody know what is going on with the Crosstown LRT from a completion update stand point? The last was Phil Vester's letter stating no timeline followed by CBC news reporting an insider has mentioned the line will come in operation at the end of 2023.

Or does no one including Metrolinx, Ministry of Transportation, TTC, Crosslinx Consortium have any idea when this line will become open?
What's going on is that they're working on it while maintaining silence.

Internally, they definitely have schedules and timelines that they're working towards, that's just the nature of managing a project like this. It just seems like they aren't going to publicize dates anymore though, which makes sense given how that's gone in the past.

Latest installment for the ongoing debate for what this line should have been.

1666799234763.png

1666799260894.png

1666799463503.png

Theres pros and cons to the way we did things. I for one think we got at least 3 more subway stations on Eglinton than if Harris hadn't canceled Eglinton West. The TTC never planned to build Oakwood and they would be scared Chaplin/Laird/Leaside would become the "next Bessarion" and cut some of the station(s). Tunneling under Golden Mile was always a silly idea before it got more density, the line may have been further delayed if that choice was made. I'm sure in the future the grade separate portion of the line could be automated for 90s operation and platforms can be extended ~20m+. With RER through running and future fare integration taking the GO from Kennedy to Mount Dennis will be a faster and more convenient one-seat ride anyway (even if we tunneled Laird to Kennedy!).

This might be more of a rehash of RM's gripe with low-floor trains rather than a productive discussion about whether LRT was a good mode choice... he mentions the vehicles as "trams" multiple times and ignores everything than can be done to enhance capacity. Maybe in a world without covid this would've been a more fatal flaw during the rush hour but its 2022. My serious opinion is that by the time capacity becomes a concern we'll be building another E-W subway anyway.

Theres pros and cons to the way we did things. I for one think we got at least 3 more subway stations on Eglinton than if Harris hadn't canceled Eglinton West. The TTC never planned to build Oakwood and they would be scared Chaplin/Laird/Leaside would become the "next Bessarion" and cut some of the station(s). Tunneling under Golden Mile was always a silly idea before it got more density, the line may have been further delayed if that choice was made. I'm sure in the future the grade separate portion of the line could be automated for 90s operation and platforms can be extended ~20m+. With RER through running and future fare integration taking the GO from Kennedy to Mount Dennis will be a faster and more convenient one-seat ride anyway (even if we tunneled Laird to Kennedy!).

This might be more of a rehash of RM's gripe with low-floor trains rather than a productive discussion about whether LRT was a good mode choice... he mentions the vehicles as "trams" multiple times and ignores everything than can be done to enhance capacity. Maybe in a world without covid this would've been a more fatal flaw during the rush hour but its 2022. My serious opinion is that by the time capacity becomes a concern we'll be building another E-W subway anyway.
Simply mandating WFH 1 day a week where possible would likely give us a decade of capacity in the GTA imo.

We've built no major new urban rapid transit capacity in decades, I am not so confident
YEP. We are just doing catch-up right now to where we should have been in 2010 (if not earlier). Maybe after the next round of lines people can start feeling confident about capacity, but the current expansion plans are not the answer yet. Maybe the crosstown is good enough for what it is if we turn Sheppard into a full-length E-W subway line.

Back