News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It would be the highest-end development in the city next to a homeless shelter. I'm not saying it's the main reason that it hasn't been built, but it's certainly a factor.
It's gorgeous but let's be honest, those renders were never going to be reality.
Yes the renders look utopian but something that might get built in Toronto which is where the developer (Great Gulf) is based. Way too grand for Calgary given how depressed our condo market has been for the last several years. I don't know if Great Gulf still have plans for that site or whether it is up for sale. They certainly knew it's close proximity to the Drop in Centre before they purchased it.

Any news on any redevelopment of Chinatown? These were some planned buildings that were scrapped unfortunately.
image.jpg
our-chinatown-yyc-calgary-1.jpg
our-chinatown-yyc-calgary-3.jpg
our-chinatown-yyc-calgary-6.jpg

^ weren’t those withdrawn after in became obvious Council would vote it down due to opposition from the various Chinatown associations?

^ weren’t those withdrawn after in became obvious Council would vote it down due to opposition from the various Chinatown associations?
I think Terry Wong and the seenu or association voted or protested against it, but I still don’t understand why since Chinatown really needed something like this. It’s mostly older people living here and they need to attract younger people.

I think if I remember correctly they were defeated at SDAB. They then got a DC bylaw approved at Council (99D2021) which would accommodate their DP design, without any major changes. See item 8.1.6 at the combined meeting of Council on July 5, 2021:

Yeah I really like this proposal, It actually had character and felt walkable with all the neon signage which is very cool for an urban area that Calgary very much needs. If this had a lot of modern shops like buble tea shops, cafes, bakery it woul def bring in more people to Chinatown instead of old people. Terry Wong's logic was that they need to have parking lots so people can go there, but people arent going there so parking lots are obsolete right. They very well need proposal like this to draw people in as it is currently on a downwards trend which is sad. The senior people here have to realize that it has to modernize and they can't keep trying to be so conservative about development.

Calgary's Chinatown, similar to all Chinatowns in North America, are facing similar issues of gentrification versus disrepair. Chinatown has always been attractive to new immigrants because it was affordable and close to downtown, allowing residents to be close in proximity to employment. However, newer immigrants and children of immigrants are moving to suburbia in pursuit of bigger homes with more square footage, which explains the overwhelming senior population.

I'm in support of the Chinatown development as it replaces a parking lot, but I think Chinatown residents' concerns are genuine and should be taken seriously. The current location of Calgary's Chinatown is actually the third location as the previous locations were considered valuable and the Chinese were forced out. There was also the real threat of the current Chinatown being completely destroyed for a new highway in the 70's, so it's important to understand that Chinatown residents' fears are real and strongly rooted in a history of displacement in Calgary.

These seniors deserve affordable housing and are allowed to voice their concerns with redevelopment as it threatens their livelihoods and the destruction of their culture. People like Terry Wong aren't helping either as he seems to think this is an issue about parking, when he could probably better defend their voices if he better understood their issues. Anyways, I hope this development can move forward as it does seem to actually embrace Chinatown motifs and has the potential to be a destination to all Calgarians. But there will always be the risk that it will lead to Chinatown being ripe for development and inaccessible by the people who inhabited it.

We could have had that instead of Nakiska? Wonder if the snow on that side would have been better than the east facing Nakiska.

Does anyone know what the old ski hill is on Pigeon Mt is? There is a lookout to Lougheed Mt and Banff Gate Resort is there too.

Those resorts would have been awesome. Imagine having resorts similar to Kicking Horse and Revelstoke closer to Calgary in addition to what we have. Put those here and I almost guarantee that we see more direct flights from Asia and Europe....sure most will just get on the highway to the mountains, but now those that want to do business can get to YYC much easier.

Makes me wonder how the development of Sunshine and Lake Louise would have proceeded if you had a 5000+ room Austrian style multiple village resort developed by 1990.

Maybe Kicking Horse never gets built. Or maybe it starts even earlier building in the real estate success of the project.

Makes me wonder how the development of Sunshine and Lake Louise would have proceeded if you had a 5000+ room Austrian style multiple village resort developed by 1990.

Maybe Kicking Horse never gets built. Or maybe it starts even earlier building in the real estate success of the project.
It may have slowed the growth of Whistler. Sunshine and Louise haven't really added much in that timeframe: Louise added Paradise in 1982 and West Bowl in 2020. Sunshine added Goat's Eye in 1995.

Kicking Horse had government money behind it (Columbia Basin Trust and a local spending comittment from Ballast Nedam when it won the contract for the Confederation Bridge), so it didn't follow conventional economics.

Last edited:

Back