News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

From the looks of it Alberta is seeing a big jump in inter-provincial migration lately. Almost 20K in net migration last quarter.

FkgmZytaAAA7X-n.jpg

FkidOwUaUAAL7UH.jpg

SourceTwitter @trevortombe

FkhuEr9XEBwTS0F.png

source https://twitter.com/ian_meredith

Overall net migration (International and Interprovincial) last quarter was 52K, and looks to be the highest ever. Some of that could be related to international migration backlog. Still, these are huge numbers.

Last edited:
Holy frak! 52K net gain in one quarter! 20k of that from interprovincial is impressive. Too bad there aren’t stats saying where the people are coming from.. My semi educated guess says a large number of them are from the suburbs of the GTA.

Holy frak! 52K net gain in one quarter! 20k of that from interprovincial is impressive. Too bad there aren’t stats saying where the people are coming from.. My semi educated guess says a large number of them are from the suburbs of the GTA.
1671728565796.png

Ask and you shall receive.

Interesting quote from the source article:

'While Alberta led the country in proportional population increases, Ontario by far had the largest increase in sheer numbers.

That province added more than 153,000 net new residents, largely due to international migration, but it lost more people to other provinces than it gained, many of them to Alberta.'

If prices stay high in BC and Ontario, you have to think it's only a matter of time before international migration starts to shift to Alberta as well.

Interesting quote from the source article:

'While Alberta led the country in proportional population increases, Ontario by far had the largest increase in sheer numbers.

That province added more than 153,000 net new residents, largely due to international migration, but it lost more people to other provinces than it gained, many of them to Alberta.'

If prices stay high in BC and Ontario, you have to think it's only a matter of time before international migration starts to shift to Alberta as well.
Lost in the interprovincial storyline is that Alberta's largest share of growth - like it has been for almost every quarter since the early 2000s - is international immigration. I don't know why the interprovincial numbers are always the leading news story in Alberta as they usually are a small share of our overall growth story.

Of the 60,000 in growth in Q3 2022, 33,000 were from international migrants; interprovincial was about 19,000. The rest is natural population growth via births exceeding deaths.

Lost in the interprovincial storyline is that Alberta's largest share of growth - like it has been for almost every quarter since the early 2000s - is international immigration. I don't know why the interprovincial numbers are always the leading news story in Alberta as they usually are a small share of our overall growth story.

Of the 60,000 in growth in Q3 2022, 33,000 were from international migrants; interprovincial was about 19,000. The rest is natural population growth via births exceeding deaths.
I think it's because international migration is almost a given at this point whereas interprovincial has been all over the place in the last 2 decades

I think it's because international migration is almost a given at this point whereas interprovincial has been all over the place in the last 2 decades
That’s exactly what I was going to say. International immigration tends to be pretty steady, and, like you say it’s kind of a given, whereas interprovincial migration gains kind of feel like a coup.
It’s like the mobile phone market, it’s a given that there will be a certain amount of phones sold in a year, but gaining from other provinces, is like gaining marketshare off another company.

Last edited:
All I can say is ouch for Ontario, this is brutal. It seems the exorbitant cost of housing has really hit hard. Not only that, I read that the largest demographic of people leaving is the 20 to 29 age group.
D4A63B91-04E0-4A58-8779-2A8AE8E90186.png

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I feel like it wasn't that long ago that age group was leaving Alberta. What I hear; "minimal job increases in O&G", "increasing home values", etc. Makes me think that maybe our economy is starting to shift, at least a little away from O&G.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I feel like it wasn't that long ago that age group was leaving Alberta. What I hear; "minimal job increases in O&G", "increasing home values", etc. Makes me think that maybe our economy is starting to shift, at least a little away from O&G.
I’m not surprised it had reversed. I’ve always maintained that most of the migration for people in that age group is due to either schooling or job opportunities. 20-24 age bracket would be more for schooling, but 25-29 more for job opportunities.

I’m not surprised it had reversed. I’ve always maintained that most of the migration for people in that age group is due to either schooling or job opportunities. 20-24 age bracket would be more for schooling, but 25-29 more for job opportunities.
And if I think about that age group is a lot more mobile (not tied to any place with house or well established job) than any other.

Re: Ontario 😲
This doesn’t surprise me at all. I’m not trying to put down the GTA, but when house prices in suburban Toronto are the same as Vancouver, there’s a problem.
A lot of people like suburban Toronto GTA, but but there are lots who don’t love it. Like in any city of course, but when you’re paying super high housing costs, it makes it makes the decision to leave much easier.

Edmonton and Calgary should end up getting a lot of people.
Only this past year, Ottawa, overtook Calgary and Edmonton to become the fourth largest metro. Due to an expansion of their boundaries mind you, but still it became the fourth largest, now I’m wondering how long that will last? It might hold the crown for fourth for as little as one year..

Back