News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Considering that the steps at the doors of the BiLevels is what’s preventing GO from having the 610 mm ATR platforms, is there any plan in place to re-place the steps? Kind of surprised the recent ONR and Alstom refurbishments do not address these issues.
I thought they came up with a fix for this and need to modify the steps on every railcar?

Not sure how that's going to work with busy stations.

You can eat an elephant if you do it one steak at a time.

There are examples of properties that already operate with split height platforms and consists. It takes a certain attention to operating practices and consist configurations, but it works.

I believe it would be wise to wait until Oncorr is on site and running well before ML tackles this, for this very reason - there will be enough moving parts such that platform height could be a crippling distraction in the transformation toOncorr. But ultimately, clever minds can make this change happen. Some sort of gradual transition with crash conversions, perhaps all stations in a line changing 2-3 carlengths over a long weekend, then move on and do one end, then the other end….something will work so long as it doesn’t collide with other transitions.

- Paul

They did it when they added the tactile strips, I’m sure they can do it again for level boarding.
I'm not saying that the task is insurmountable, but adding tactile strips is a trivial non-job compared to changing the elevation of the platform.

Reactions: DSC
I'm not saying that the task is insurmountable, but adding tactile strips is a trivial non-job compared to changing the elevation of the platform.
The need to shut down part of the platform is very similar. It has happened loads on the Stouffville Line with the station rebuilds, the sky has not fallen.

The only things effected in changing platforms elevations is the snow melting system, platform edge and the elevator.

As noted, the existing platforms can be change in phases that will require the existing shelters to be removed if attached to the platform or the floor to be raised, depending on the extra height require. You could have a slopping ramp to the shelter as well to the stairs and elevator.

Not my field and leave it to others, but I expect the existing snow melting system will have to be rebuilt to deal with the new elevation for the platform. This is very costly as well time consuming to do.

Trying to remember and stand to be corrected, but most non high platforms were like GO platforms where the floor of the the commuter rail coaches floor were the same height of the platform with an gap plate in Europe. Intercity trains had steps to get to the low level platform that were very common for a large number of countries.

Other than time and money, existing platforms can be raise to match the floor of GO coaches.

If you want to go high floor, major rebuilt for not only for everything's connected to the platform, but also for every coach in the current fleet. The existing doors would have to be relocated to the end section with the removal of most of the seat forcing riders to use stairs to the lower level and what do you do for washrooms for accessibility riders?? Would not recommend this at all.

The only things effected in changing platforms elevations is the snow melting system, platform edge and the elevator.

As noted, the existing platforms can be change in phases that will require the existing shelters to be removed if attached to the platform or the floor to be raised, depending on the extra height require. You could have a slopping ramp to the shelter as well to the stairs and elevator.

Not my field and leave it to others, but I expect the existing snow melting system will have to be rebuilt to deal with the new elevation for the platform. This is very costly as well time consuming to do.

Trying to remember and stand to be corrected, but most non high platforms were like GO platforms where the floor of the the commuter rail coaches floor were the same height of the platform with an gap plate in Europe. Intercity trains had steps to get to the low level platform that were very common for a large number of countries.

Other than time and money, existing platforms can be raise to match the floor of GO coaches.

If you want to go high floor, major rebuilt for not only for everything's connected to the platform, but also for every coach in the current fleet. The existing doors would have to be relocated to the end section with the removal of most of the seat forcing riders to use stairs to the lower level and what do you do for washrooms for accessibility riders?? Would not recommend this at all.
I don't get your last bit about high floor?

I don't get your last bit about high floor?
If you want high floor platforms that will service VIA, Amtrak and the likes of SEPTA, Boston and Virginia type of equipment's, the current location of the doors for GO Coaches will have to be move to the ends of the cars to match mid level The mid level will become accessibility areas with riders going up or down stairs to get a seat. Doing this, where are the washrooms for accessibility riders??

My recommendation is not to go to high floor platforms as it will very costly to do and will take a lot longer to do it. It will take years to modified the current fleet to the point you buy new equipment to replace the oldest coaches first

If you want high floor platforms that will service VIA, Amtrak and the likes of SEPTA, Boston and Virginia type of equipment's, the current location of the doors for GO Coaches will have to be move to the ends of the cars to match mid level The mid level will become accessibility areas with riders going up or down stairs to get a seat. Doing this, where are the washrooms for accessibility riders??

My recommendation is not to go to high floor platforms as it will very costly to do and will take a lot longer to do it. It will take years to modified the current fleet to the point you buy new equipment to replace the oldest coaches first
Nobody ever suggested high floors.

Today I returned to Willowbrook and photographed 206 sitting east, attached a cut of OOS cars.
IMG_1337[1].JPG
IMG_1341[1].JPG
IMG_1343[1].JPG

Back