News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Alstom is well positioned. Undoubtedly. But that's not to say that another consortium interested in breaking into the market can't come through with a better offer. Hitachi, Nippon Sharyo, Hyundai Rotem, CAF, etc all looking for opportunities.

Realistically, is there any chance the Feds go with anyone but Alstom? I feel like having big business lobbying for HSR, especially one with the political sway that Alstom has with their Canadian manufacturing bases and partial Quebec ownership could push HSR to a possible reality for once.
who else is there in the western world that we can consider? obviously we are too stuck up to buy from japan or asia so other than the alstom hegemony who else is there? Can siemens stand up to them?

Hitachi Rail bought Ansaldo Breda of Italy. So Hitachi is not a fully Japanese bid either.

Broadly, a $15-20B contract is not small potatoes. Some consortium could use it to establish a base to compete throughout North America. Not just on the rolling stock side. But also on the infrastructure and signalling and controls side.

Hitachi could be viable considering they did win the bid for the Ontario line, maybe they create a base here. Wonder if Deutsche Bahn gets in on the operations side, might be too much of an expansion all at once in Canada for them though with RER.

Article in French only, but I can give a summary in English:

- Montréal is seen by Alstom as the hub of the HSR/HFR network because it is at the junction between the western leg (Toronto-Ottawa-Montréal) and the eastern leg (Montréal-Québec) of the project.
- They propose building a new intercity rail station north of Mont-Royal (which they liken to a Montréal version of "Gare du Nord" in Paris). The rationale is that they see that station more like an airport and that people will come from all over the region to the train station, and this is why it doesn't need to be downtown. They don't mention where that station would be, but their maps use the CP, so Gare Parc would be a likely candidate.
- Alstom proposes 12 stops between Toronto and Quebec City with top speeds of 300km/h. Their goal is to maximize speed as much as they can so it competes with all modes of transportation within the corridor.

12 Stations?

1. Toronto Union
2. Suburban Toronto
3. Peterborough
4. Fallowfield
5. Ottawa
6. Dorval
7. Montreal Downtown
8. Montreal "Nord"
9. Trois Rivieres
10. Quebec Airport
11. Quebec
12. ?????

What would the 12th be? A station north of Oshawa or something? I doubt they'd put a stop in Smiths Falls or something..

With 12 stations like that I would hope they would also offer express services running Toronto Union - Ottawa - Montreal Downtown direct too.

Article in French only, but I can give a summary in English:

- Montréal is seen by Alstom as the hub of the HSR/HFR network because it is at the junction between the western leg (Toronto-Ottawa-Montréal) and the eastern leg (Montréal-Québec) of the project.
- They propose building a new intercity rail station north of Mont-Royal (which they liken to a Montréal version of "Gare du Nord" in Paris). The rationale is that they see that station more like an airport and that people will come from all over the region to the train station, and this is why it doesn't need to be downtown. They don't mention where that station would be, but their maps use the CP, so Gare Parc would be a likely candidate.
- Alstom proposes 12 stops between Toronto and Quebec City with top speeds of 300km/h. Their goal is to maximize speed as much as they can so it competes with all modes of transportation within the corridor.
Gare Parc makes sense, but would a connection to the REM at Canora for a Gare du Nord be feasible? Seems like it could be a more optimal choice with quick access towards downtown / to the three primary metro lines along the REM.

12 Stations?

1. Toronto Union
2. Suburban Toronto
3. Peterborough
4. Fallowfield
5. Ottawa
6. Dorval
7. Montreal Downtown
8. Montreal "Nord"
9. Trois Rivieres
10. Quebec Airport
11. Quebec
12. ?????

What would the 12th be? A station north of Oshawa or something? I doubt they'd put a stop in Smiths Falls or something..

With 12 stations like that I would hope they would also offer express services running Toronto Union - Ottawa - Montreal Downtown direct too.
The missing station would likely be one relatively accessible for Kingston-based passengers. Perth? Sharbot Lake?

Dan

If there's going to be any station in that area, has to be Smiths Falls to meet the train from Kingston/Brockville.
It would seem to make sense. The distance isn't all that much different (Sharbot L. = 75km, Perth = 85km, SF = 95km). Every stop adds time. I'm not really getting the proposed speeds without some significant alignment investment.

So, I've lost track. Is this superseding the VIA/Gov't. HFR or is this an Alstom brochure proposal (with our money of course)?

12 Stations?

1. Toronto Union
2. Suburban Toronto
3. Peterborough
4. Fallowfield
5. Ottawa
6. Dorval
7. Montreal Downtown
8. Montreal "Nord"
9. Trois Rivieres
10. Quebec Airport
11. Quebec
12. ?????

From what I understand there is no downtown Montréal station, only a Montréal "Gare du Nord". There is a planned stop in Laval and I believe there is one in Terrebonne as well (but I could be mistaken on this one).

Gare Parc makes sense, but would a connection to the REM at Canora for a Gare du Nord be feasible? Seems like it could be a more optimal choice with quick access towards downtown / to the three primary metro lines along the REM.
It's not an easy spot to build something. You can't build underground because of the REM line, and you can't block the intersection. It has to be elevated, but it's also a busy freight route to the port for CP.

Back