News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Attractiveness. A key driver in highway safety.

People speed because we have an artificially low limit. This means we can drive at whatever speed police feel like enforcing, the bonus is they can also effectively pull anymore over for cause that they'd like to.
The SCOC has ruled that no cause is required. Police can randomly stop vehicles to check for a valid d/l, vehicle registration, insurance, vehicle fitness and driver sobriety.

autobahn-rules-by-imanuel-marcus-005.jpg
I care more about having a speed limit of 130 than how the speed limit sign looks like.

I care more about having a speed limit of 130 than how the speed limit sign looks like.

Ya even with the permanent raise to 110 in select sections, we are still slow compared to much of the world.

Now that the 110 trials are complete, can we start 120 trials next? 😎

1920px-World_Speed_Limits.svg.png

.. 400 series should have 120 ... while highways like 17 prolly should be kept to 100. Highway 11 could support stretches of 110 as that route is pretty darn straight.

I get a kick out of the graphic that shows Nunavut as being 90/55 territory. The territory has a grand total of one paved road that is a couple of kilometers long.

110 might be bit much for a lot of Ontario's 2-lane highways like 7A, 12, 35, etc. I'm not sure factors such sightlines, shoulders and alignment are compatible for that speed. Also consider traffic mix. Many are used by farm equipment; some even by horse and buggy.

.. 400 series should have 120 ... while highways like 17 prolly should be kept to 100. Highway 11 could support stretches of 110 as that route is pretty darn straight.
Even in GTA, traffic runs fine at 110 or 120. We aren't fooling anyone with a speed limit of 100. Urban highways can have 120 limit and rural highways can have 130. Ontario highways are well designed with long merging and exit lanes. Some of the American highways have higher speed limits with way smaller merging lanes.

The higher the limit in the gta, the worst the collisions will be of there is a sudden slow down. They can’t just replace all the signs and expect everything to be fine. I really think they need some variable speed limit with electronic signs to reduce speeds in congestion and work zones.

The higher the limit in the gta, the worst the collisions will be of there is a sudden slow down. They can’t just replace all the signs and expect everything to be fine. I really think they need some variable speed limit with electronic signs to reduce speeds in congestion and work zones.
I wonder why you would need variable speed limit sign for congestion? People automatically slow down if the traffic ahead is slow. People can't drive at 100 even if the sign says 100 when there is congestion.

Even in GTA, traffic runs fine at 110 or 120. We aren't fooling anyone with a speed limit of 100. Urban highways can have 120 limit and rural highways can have 130. Ontario highways are well designed with long merging and exit lanes. Some of the American highways have higher speed limits with way smaller merging lanes.
If the posted limit was also the enforced limit, I would support something like 120 rural, 110 urban on divided highways. If it's like now where enforcement doesn't start until 20 over the limit, then no.

More energy in collisions leading to worse outcomes. Also much more wasteful.

Actually, I'd really love if police strongly targeted aggressive drivers -- the ones that weave in and out. So dangerous.

If the posted limit was also the enforced limit, I would support something like 120 rural, 110 urban on divided highways. If it's like now where enforcement doesn't start until 20 over the limit, then no.

More energy in collisions leading to worse outcomes. Also much more wasteful.

Actually, I'd really love if police strongly targeted aggressive drivers -- the ones that weave in and out. So dangerous.
Yes, with strictly enforced limits, of course. We don't want people continuing to drive 20 over the limit at 120. However, there are many more driving habits worse than speeding at 130 in your lane. Merging at a speed of 60, or changing 4 lanes to make your exit, or exiting after the exit lane has forked are much worse.

Will the cops enforce themselves? I always see them going 120-130.

Anecdotally, there's a lot more speed enforcement lately. Looks like munis trying to recoup covid budget losses.

You're talking 400-series, as well as a few others, right? There are all sorts of King's Highways that don't have merge/exit lanes, but do have lots of at-grade intersections, private driveways, etc.
From SEVEN YEARS ago..
I'd really like them to trial it somewhere. There is a stretch of Quebec 20 that is prone to heavy fog rolling in from the river that has it. There are a number of spots that are prone to snow squalls where it might help. One problem would be the transient nature of the squall. Fog rolls in, but whiteouts can be come and gone in a blink. I don't know how flexible or sensitive the technology is.

Back