News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Time for an update on Bikeshare Stations.

We're still not in to this year's expansion yet, though that should be imminent (along with finishing last years).

But some changes have begun in earnest. In Jan/Feb most changes were either station removals/relos due to construction, or minor reductions of the number of docks at stations that were really over-sized.

Late February and March saw those surplus stations and docks rolled back out either as new stations, or significantly enlarged ones.

1679751542061.png

1679751597566.png

Time for an update on Bikeshare Stations.

We're still not in to this year's expansion yet, though that should be imminent (along with finishing last years).

But some changes have begun in earnest. In Jan/Feb most changes were either station removals/relos due to construction, or minor reductions of the number of docks at stations that were really over-sized.

Late February and March saw those surplus stations and docks rolled back out either as new stations, or significantly enlarged ones.

View attachment 464034

View attachment 464035
University Ave and King St EAST?

Has anyone seen any plans to improve the maintenance on the existing fleet?

Littering more docks around will only do so much to expand usage if the bikes themselves are in pool condition, which they are.

Bikeshare rate changes have been approved by Council; only one minor tweak, Councillor Saxe got a motion approved allowing people to pay the annual membership fee in installments.

So true, usually no black pins during waking hours but today?
View attachment 466721

While I fully expect that additional e-bikes should be available due to the fee structure changes, with today's weather, I wouldn't try to draw any conclusions.
Someone posted a similar screenshot on Reddit earlier this week. I would say it's related.

Reactions: vic
If ebike utililization drops off a cliff, maybe they will revisit the incremental charge. If the problem was a small group of users camping on these, this seems like a good change to make sure they are broadly available. Maybe there are other structures that could work, such as a higher fee membership that includes 2x30 minute ebike sessions per day, and each additional session costs per minute. This would serve the same purpose of discouraging gig workers from monopolizing them.

Really, gig drivers would/should be better off renting their own ebike, not using a bikeshare. There are services that offer long term ebike rentals. I guess Bikeshare helps to reduce risk/liability of theft.

Back