News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

At one time, streetcars were considered "street railways". Falling under federal jurisdiction, meaning motorists had to yield to streetcars like they were railways. That changed, where now the streetcars have to yield to single-occupant motorists. Time for streetcars, and light rail vehicles & buses, to get priority over the automobile.

336862919_608924837362436_7237521278592618693_n.jpg
From link.

Lol is any part of the system working?

Streetcar service will be removed from King Street between Shaw and the Don River while overhead east from Bathurst is adjusted for pantograph-only operation.

No doubt cars will learn to use King again during this time and they’ll have to try to drive behaviour change again in May.

And of course, they’ll shut it all down again when they redo King St.

Honestly, it’s like they don’t want ridership to return.

Streetcar service will be removed from King Street between Shaw and the Don River while overhead east from Bathurst is adjusted for pantograph-only operation.

No doubt cars will learn to use King again during this time and they’ll have to try to drive behaviour change again in May.

I dont even complain about the bustitutions anymore; at this point service with buses is faster compared to streetcars thanks to all of the idiotic TTC policies and speed restrictions due to X, Y, and Z sprinkled all over the damn network.

The TTC has successfully screwed up the streetcar network to the point it takes ions to get to your destination wherever it may be.

I dont even complain about the bustitutions anymore; at this point service with buses is faster compared to streetcars thanks to all of the idiotic TTC policies and speed restrictions due to X, Y, and Z sprinkled all over the damn network.

The TTC has successfully screwed up the streetcar network to the point it takes ions to get to your destination wherever it may be.
There is presently a damaged rail problem at Queen and Ontario Streets. I could tell the moment it happened because there was suddenly a thumping sound made by the streetcars passing by that point which I had never heard before. I'm about 200 metres away, so they normally pass silently, unless the windows are open. After about three days I saw they put on a slow order over the whole block on Queen from Ontario to Parliament and that has lasted about a week now.

As I type this (at 2:00 a.m.) there is a 501 that has been sitting at that same spot for the past hour with its four-way flashers on, and now a large contingent of TTC vehicles and personell have arrived and are milling about (you can seem their reflective vests by the front of the streetcar.)

I can't really tell what's happening as I'm not right on Queen, but from my window it looks like something has majorly fouled up now. Also you can see the 301 appears to have been bustituted per this photo!

IMG_20230321_020240.jpg

Not good if they indeed plan to shift the 504 to Queen on Sunday!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: PL1

Why are they doing this now when queen is closed for two years? I don't think they know what they are doing at all.

Why are they doing this now when queen is closed for two years? I don't think they know what they are doing at all.
It's like if they drive away riders, they can reduce service. And save money. And drive away more riders!

I don't actually believe this is what they are doing, just different areas not coordinating repairs. But it is a possible effect.

They are taking streetcars off King to complete the overhead installation and making King a panto only route. All will, apparently, be done by May. (Steve Munro has more info on this. https://stevemunro.ca/2023/03/20/tt...8ede55db310a1863eef1bea2982e7c0#comment-71559 ) Until the compromises necessary to run poles & pantos are removed, we are not seeing the full advantage of pantos.

Queen is not yet closed so they are getting King 'tidied up' before they have to close Queen (or greatly restrict it due to Metrolinx and the Ontario Line construction).

I suspect the problem in the next 6 years (while Queen will be less than satisfactory) will be to fit in the rebuilding of King. This was initially scheduled for 2024, then 2025 and now ??? Though all of King (maybe except for a couple of 'junctions' like Church) is now built with the new kind of track that can fairly easily be relaid, it will be much harder to do this if Queen is not working 'normally". I also think the watermain below King needs to be replaced (the break @ University was a loud warning!) and that will also create TTC problems (or, maybe, allow the tracks to be replaced at the same time?)

This is somewhat related, but Alstom will also be supplying low floor LRVs to Philadelphia.

It looks like the chosen design is Citadis - given the similarities between Philly and Toronto’s network with tight curve radius etc. it seemed to me (before the merger) like Flexity would be a good option for this specific replacement. I wonder if that is now it for Flexity sales in North America, at least in terms of new customers.

TTC streetcar tracks that have annoyed locals for years finally being fixed

From link.

A section of squealing streetcar tracks that have infuriated residents and business owners on McCaul Street for years will finally get some relief.

The TTC announced on Thursday that it would install new streetcar lubricators on the noisy stretch of McCaul streetcar tracks between Grange Road and Renfrew Place, particularly the notoriously-screechy McCaul loop.
Pending weather or any other unforeseen events, the installation is scheduled to begin on Tuesday, April 18, and last through Sunday, April 23.

The new streetcar lubricator installation near the entrance to McCaul Loop will cut down on squealing and grinding noises that disturb residents in the area; however, the solution to these disturbances will come in the form of even louder construction.
1681491882-20230414-mccaul-streetcar-tracks-toronto.jpg

The TTC warns locals that work will be carried out around the clock and will involve activities including concrete breaking, meaning short-term pain in exchange for long-term gain for those living and working nearby.
Concrete breaking is expected to conclude each night by 11 p.m., though this may still cut into the sleeping hours for some in the area. Work during overnight hours will likely be limited to placing new concrete and clean-up, which may still create some discomfort for any light sleepers.

The work zone will remain closed off after the new lubricator unit is installed to give freshly-poured concrete time to cure, and road obstructions will finally be removed by the morning of April 23.

Throughout the closure, vehicle traffic on McCaul will be restricted to a single lane in each direction, and on-street parking will be prohibited. Pedestrians will have access to the west side of the street, though sidewalks on the east side of McCaul will be closed off, with paid duty officers on site to assist.

Service on TTC routes will be unaffected during the closure, so that's one less inconvenience for locals to worry about next week.
800px-McCaul_Loop_s0071_it6881.jpg

McCaul-St-Loop-Executive-Department-1929.jpg

Translated to link...

The City of Quebec announces that the design and construction of rolling stock for the tramway project will cost $569 million. The Marchand administration announces at the same time that the maintenance for 30 years of the rolling stock will cost 768 million dollars.

Mayor Bruno Marchand and the project office confirmed on Wednesday that the contract will be provided by Alstom Transport Canada. It provides for the official signing of the agreement with the company on April 24.

Another important element: the project office announces that it will not be able to find a partner for the construction of the tramway infrastructure before the end of the year.

The start of the project will therefore be postponed to 2024. Until recently, the project office still hoped to start work this summer.

The commissioning of the tramway is therefore postponed by one year, to 2029.

Cost increase​

Unsurprisingly, the inflationary environment has pushed up rolling stock costs.

The projected cost for the design and creation of the rolling stock is $569 million, a 43% increase over the project office's estimates.

The City claims to have succeeded in reducing Alstom's initial proposal by $108 million thanks to negotiations.

Maintenance costs​

The amount planned for the maintenance of the tram over a period of 30 years is 768 million dollars, an increase of 8% compared to the price estimated by the project office.

By choosing to assume certain risks, the City was also able to reduce the bill by $650 million thanks to negotiations with Alstom.

These costs will be borne by the Réseau de transport de la Capitale (RTC) at the time of the transfer of transport assets, which will take place when the tramway is put into operation, the Marchand administration said.

Construction of 34 trains​

This contract includes the manufacture and design of 34 tram sets with an option to purchase 5 other sets.

This is the Citadis model, a proven vehicle, with deployments in over 70 cities around the world. It is adapted to the climatic and topographical conditions of the city of Quebec, in addition to meeting all the essential characteristics of the call for proposals , argues the City of Quebec.

The contract also includes the on-board components , which allow the fluidity of the tramway, in particular at the traffic light.

Alstom also provided training for the first cohort of RTC tram operators to allow employees to operate it.

"Major milestone"​

We are taking a major step in the realization of the tramway project , rejoiced Mayor Marchand.

The project office confirmed that significant cost differences separated the two parties' proposals, which forced several negotiations between last November and February.

The mayor assures that his team negotiated for hundreds of hours with Alstom to ensure that they got the right price.

“ We have the right price. [...] We could not have done better than that. The time we took was necessary. You have seen the gains we have made. We have the right price. »
— A quote from Bruno Marchand, Mayor of Quebec

“I hope to support it”​

The contract with Alstom must now be ratified by the city council and the agglomeration council within the next few days.

We hope to support it. I wish there was a tramway in Quebec and I think of everyone who wishes there was a tramway , reacted Claude Villeneuve, Leader of the Official Opposition.

He says, however, that many things are worrying in the City's announcement. In particular, he questions the fact that the maintenance of rolling stock is paid for from the operating budget by the RTC, while the transport company struggles to make ends meet.

The leader of Quebec first also notes that the commissioning of the tram will not be done before 2029. It is not trivial, the schedule .

The costs unveiled today for the rolling stock announce the financial hecatomb for the future, it is practically assured , reacted Éric Ralph Mercier, municipal councilor for Team priority Quebec.

The opposition parties intend to ask several questions during the plenary committee on the tramway, scheduled for the next few days.

Duhaime calls for the project to be put on hold​

The leader of the Conservative Party of Quebec (PCQ), Éric Duhaime, once again asks the government to put the tramway project on ice , which he considers too expensive.

According to Mr. Duhaime, the amount in the envelope devoted to the Quebec tramway project would henceforth be between 6 and 8.2 billion dollars
However, these figures have not been officially released by the Quebec project office. The latest costing update for the project pegged the whole thing at just under $4 billion.

It would be irresponsible to embark on a project without knowing the total costs of the project. François Legault must pull the plug before it's too late , says the PCQ

The leader also claims that a billion dollars has already been spent on the project. I've never seen anyone build something, invest that much money, and not have a clue where it's going and how much it's going to cost.

We are putting our arm in the wringer of taxpayers. Our sources put forward costs between 6 and 8.2 billion, the government is already aware of the bill. We must not spend a penny more before informing Quebecers , adds the Conservative leader.

Was shoots cars on Queen today between Church and York before they disappear on May 1 until 2030/31. Wanted to do some videos, but traffic was a mess since its only a single lane each way now that was slow moving. With rain forecast for the next 4-5 days, may not get the videos I want, but will try. Sunday maybe the best day, but will see.

New cable and brackets been added to the poles north of Queen in a few location for conversion of the old system to the new, but not ready to be strung.

New wiring up and not fully in place for Church and Richmond intersection

No overhead on Church from Wellington to King.

New Black TTC poles up at Wellington and Church with a few support wires between a few poles.

From Yonge to Church on Wellington, TTC support bracket attached to all the new poles with OS missing. The southside of the street is getting the same brick material as the northside that looks a hell a lot better without cars parking there now and the look.

West of Yonge, nothing has change since I last saw it and stand to be corrected, but Willington west of Yonge will be under construction as noted on a sign until June 2024. This means no streetcars on Wellington until Sept or later 2024.

Ran into Steve on Queen and got talking about a few things before he headed out to have a look at the Queensway and Roncesvalles work. Look for his posting on it as it will be another week before I get back out there. All the photos I shot on the 16th will be up on my site sometime on Friday and there are 48 of them.

Haven't had the time to look at other areas.

Queen E needs a lot of track work based on today ride with a number of dips and bumps.

Was shoots cars on Queen today between Church and York before they disappear on May 1 until 2030/31. Wanted to do some videos, but traffic was a mess since its only a single lane each way now that was slow moving. With rain forecast for the next 4-5 days, may not get the videos I want, but will try. Sunday maybe the best day, but will see.

New cable and brackets been added to the poles north of Queen in a few location for conversion of the old system to the new, but not ready to be strung.

New wiring up and not fully in place for Church and Richmond intersection

No overhead on Church from Wellington to King.

New Black TTC poles up at Wellington and Church with a few support wires between a few poles.

From Yonge to Church on Wellington, TTC support bracket attached to all the new poles with OS missing. The southside of the street is getting the same brick material as the northside that looks a hell a lot better without cars parking there now and the look.

West of Yonge, nothing has change since I last saw it and stand to be corrected, but Willington west of Yonge will be under construction as noted on a sign until June 2024. This means no streetcars on Wellington until Sept or later 2024.

Ran into Steve on Queen and got talking about a few things before he headed out to have a look at the Queensway and Roncesvalles work. Look for his posting on it as it will be another week before I get back out there. All the photos I shot on the 16th will be up on my site sometime on Friday and there are 48 of them.

Haven't had the time to look at other areas.

Queen E needs a lot of track work based on today ride with a number of dips and bumps.
501L service to Long Branch was supposed to resume May 2023, as of the TTC's start of year schedule change announcement. Last time I was at the Queensway, a week ago, there are still holes roughly three meters deep in the streetcar tracks, with no workers in sight in the middle of a work day. The disastrous handlining of the Lakeshore streetcar has resulted in the lowest ridership per capita since the lines inception in the late 19th century. Never mind the dead in the water r.o.w extension to parklawn and a refusal to optimize the route in any way.

Back