News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

A slight divergence into European. Always interesting to me how what's left of the Austria-Hungarian empire lines up with Putin's Russia.

I found this thread and the accompanying article on how Orban manipulates Hungary's electoral system and constitution fascinating:

And also an interesting thread on Austria (where I have a few relatives) becoming one of Russia's Trojan horses in Europe:

At some point, the EU will really have to deal with countries like this. It's going to be hard to maintain a common front against Russia with these countries constantly placing corrupt political and commercial interests above Continental Security.

Those who are unwilling to play by the norms should not derive benefits from supernational organizations that operate on such norms.

AoD

Last edited:
A slight divergence into European. Always interesting to me how what's left of the Austria-Hungarian empire lines up with Putin's Russia.

I found this thread and the accompanying article on how Orban manipulates Hungary's electoral system and constitution fascinating:

And also an interesting thread on Austria (where I have a few relatives) becoming one of Russia's Trojan horses in Europe:

At some point, the EU will really have to deal with countries like this. It's going to be hard to maintain a common front against Russia with these countries constantly placing corrupt political and commercial interests above Continental Security.

My parents both immigrated to Canada from Austria. I have a very deep connection to the country and am a dual citizen (and for most of my life have dreamed of moving there), but I'm absolutely ashamed and embarrassed by how their government has responded to the Ukraine war. The EU should seriously consider punishing Austria and Hungary in some way over their behaviour. Considering the circumstances of WWII, if anything, they should have always viewed the USSR/Russia as an eternal adversary/enemy. It's disgusting really. The same needs to be said about Switzerland, although they're not an EU country.

Should cut them off entirely. He wants to have his EU and NATO cake and eat it too. Make him choose.

Kick him out of the EU - losing access to the European market and regulatory regimes would be pretty deadly to their economy. I am sure they are also well aware that they are a landlocked country.

AoD

Should cut them off entirely. He wants to have his EU and NATO cake and eat it too. Make him choose.
Same with Turkey (or however we are spelling it now), but the downside is we drive them into the arms of Russia (or China). Few manage to remain unaligned - I think Switzerland is the sole one.

Same with Turkey (or however we are spelling it now), but the downside is we drive them into the arms of Russia (or China). Few manage to remain unaligned - I think Switzerland is the sole one.

In the long run I wonder how tenable it is to keep Turkey given their politics and aspirations.

AoD

In the long run I wonder how tenable it is to keep Turkey given their politics and aspirations.
We have to think long term with Turkey. Push them too hard and they'll swing to the other side - same with Hungary. That's just want happened with the Ottomans before the First World War, with Britain causing rifts (denying assistance, seizing Turkish assets/ships, etc.) which push the Ottomans into Germany's hands. The best way to bring Hungary and Turkey onside is to show the folly of the other side, that Russia is a broken nation of economic, military and political losers that no one would want to side with, all while in the EU things are great for human rights, economy and political freedom. The Hungarian and Turkish people will eventually vote their way away from Russia.

AoD

Erdogan flirts with Putin. But they are closer to rivals than allies, given the competing interests in the Middle East, the Caucasus and Central Asia.

Turkey has sort of always been this way. But when push comes to shove, they stand up for NATO. They were a founding member and held the flank against the Soviet Union through the entire Cold War. The Europeans also have a habit of rug pulling them. Check out what was promised to Turkey for taking in millions of Syrian refugees. And then check out what was actually delivered. I don't blame the Turks for being a bit skeptical.

Turkey has issues to be sure. But I am not yet sure, they are as bad as Hungary and Austria, which are both Eurozone countries undermining the EU.

Turkey has issues to be sure. But I am not yet sure, they are as bad as Hungary and Austria, which are both Eurozone countries undermining the EU.

Slight difference though - Turkey mattered geopolitically. Neither Hungary nor Austria does other than for the sake of solidarity in the "European Project".

AoD

I'm a big fan of Maj Gen Mick Ryan. Working my way through his book right now. I think he's probably one of the best military theorists of our time. Here's his piece.

Back