In the Netherlands, many of the grates for sewers are vertically installed along the bike lane curb. I wonder if the city could emulate that if extending curbs, providing drainage to the existing system without having to relocate the sewers entirely.

We have a small number of that type in Toronto.

They're often completely clogged with snow/ice during the winter making them ineffective.

York Region does this as well:

That's interesting. I have not seen one in Ontario before but, admittedly don't pay a lot of attention to storm drains. I had heard that they don't handle ice and slush as well. I took a 'streetview stroll up and down from the Hamilton one and it seems to be a one-off.

The the original point, if a bike lane is separated from other traffic by a physical barrier, drainage can be a problem depending on the design of the barrier.

No stairway for you! Lol Taken 27 October.
IMG_4686.jpeg

I'm curious to see if they'll install the pedestrian bridge as part of this project or if they plan to do it for the Lansdowne GO station project.

Also, the SPAR Marathon roofing warehouse needs to sell if we want to see a staircase. I wonder if they're waiting for all of these projects to finish so they can fetch a better price when they do plan to sell. Truthfully, if I wasn't in a hurry to sell, that's what I would do.

I'm fairly confident that the pedestrian bridge is being funded as part of the Bloor/Lansdowne GO station, so I expect it'll be installed after the GO station construction kicks off in February 2024. Weirdly, the extension of the multi-use path south from the station to Dundas is being funded as part of the King-Liberty GO station, so who knows what the timeline is on that part.

This is coming to Executive this week:
Davenport Diamond Grade Separation

The Davenport Diamond Grade Separation project, also referred to as the Davenport Diamond Guideway project, is being constructed to eliminate at-grade rail crossings by providing an elevated two-track guideway between Bloor Street West and Davenport Road on the Barrie rail corridor. Coming into operation in April 2023, the elevated rail corridor is now carrying trains above the Canadian Pacific (CP) Railway’s freight tracks(north of Dupont Street) and vehicular, pedestrian and cycling traffic.

Since April 2020, Graham Commuter Rail Solutions (GCRS) has been delivering the project scope, which includes:• Eliminating the existing at-grade crossing between the CP Railway and the Barrie rail corridor north of Dupont Street by adding a new rail bridge over the CP Rail tracks;• Creating a new pedestrian underpass at Paton Road; and,• Rehabilitating the Dupont rail bridge as public realm and widening the existing rail bridge at Bloor Street West. Throughout 2022, GCRS made substantial progress installing the concrete guideway,29 sets of piers, precast concrete walls, foundations for Overhead Catenary System(OCS) poles, and foundations for the sound wall. Precast bridge girders were also put in place in late March 2022 to support a new bridge parallel to the existing rail bridge at Bloor Street West, to support the new track. The new bridge, which has a greater clearance over Bloor Street West, was completed in spring 2023. The project reached substantial completion in Q3 2023 and is estimated to be closed out by January 2024.

Davenport Diamond Public Realm Project

The Davenport Diamond Public Realm project, also known as the Greenway, will utilize the newly created space underneath the Davenport Diamond Guideway, transitioning it from the former Barrie rail corridor bridge into public realm. This space will provide a fully accessible multi-use trail from Bloor Street to Davenport Road and create eight key greenway connection points. The Greenway’s design and public features will be integrated within the Davenport Diamond Guideway project.

In November 2022, Metrolinx hosted a Virtual Open House to provide an update on the progress being made on the Greenway project. The open house focused on detailed design developments, new and updated drawings of the public realm, landscaping and plantings and proposed connection points. Participants were particularly concerned about access and connections to the Greenway, graffiti prevention plans, as well as Metrolinx’s decision to cancel the public art program and mural project. The Greenway is planned to tender in fall 2023, and construction is anticipated to begin in summer 2024, with substantial completion in May 2026.In spring 2023, City staff secured the delivery of the Dog Off-Leash Area (DOLA) from Metrolinx. City staff are working with Metrolinx to finalize a license agreement, allowing the City to operate and maintain the DOLA. Substantial completion of the DOLA is anticipated for June 2025

The Greenway is planned to tender in fall 2023, and construction is anticipated to begin in summer 2024, with substantial completion in May 2026.
Glad to finally see some dates for this work, but two years seems excessively long to build a multi-use path. It's especially frustrating given that the start of construction has already been pushed back many times. As a point of comparison, the original railpath was built in one year, from June 2008 to June 2009, and the greenway is both shorter and has the advantage of having had preparatory work (clearing and grading) already done. To be fair, the bridge over the CP corridor will be more complex than anything on the original railpath, but if that's the bottleneck, the path could be opened in phases. Metrolinx has never displayed a sense of urgency in any of their construction projects though.

Wow.... overdesigned much for a simple access stairway?? i get the security part but this looks like it belongs in a supermax prison.... :rolleyes:

It might not be as necessary in other locations, but as part of softening the intrusion of the guideway on a future linear park, I would say it was a wise design.

- Paul

I don't know @ProjectEnd

I mean, couldn't we just discourage 'climbing' by wiring for a high voltage, low current electric shock on contact with anything more than 3M off the ground?

(same principle as a Taser), but you could reduce the voltage by 2/3 and still get a charge out of watching people's reactions.

I don't know @ProjectEnd

I mean, couldn't we just discourage 'climbing' by wiring for a high voltage, low current electric shock on contact with anything more than 3M off the ground?

(same principle as a Taser), but you could reduce the voltage by 2/3 and still get a charge out of watching people's reactions.
couldnt they have just moved the stairs out of the park area and to more of an in between service corridor? or was that the best they could do based on max intervals?

I don't know @ProjectEnd

From a legal liability perspective, not likely. For sheer entertainment value, absolutely.

People would just treat like an extra challenge to push through, like the 'electroshock therapy' obstacle on a tough mudder course.

Back