News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

really they can have one train going back and forth really and it would be great.

Imo this could apply to any of the lines...
Leaves 10:30am and reaches 11:05 Union.
Leaves 11:15 am and reaches 11:50 Bramalea.
Leaves 12pm and reaches 12:35 Union.
Leaves 12:45 and reaches 1:20 Bramalea.
Leaves 1:30 and reaches 2:05 Union.
Leaves 2:15 and reaches 2:50 Bramalea.
Leaves 3:00 and reaches 3:35 Union
Leaves 3:45 and reaches 4:20 Bramalea
Leaves 4:30 and reaches 5:05 Union
Leaves 5:15 and reaches 5:50 Bramalea..
Leaves 6:00 and reaches 6:45 Union (last train from Bramalea)

Problem with that is that it would preclude serving Brampton, Mount Pleasant and Georgetown on the line......whereas if you just replicated the weekday service (with the exclusions I noted) everyone gets treated fairly.

oh I was secretly trying to say "who cares about them" :D

Well really imo I doubt GO will run trains all the way to Georgetown on weekends.

oh I was secretly trying to say "who cares about them" :D

Well really imo I doubt GO will run trains all the way to Georgetown on weekends.

You are probably right that 4 trains on a Saturday to Georgetown makes no where near as much sense as that hourly service to Aldershot ;)

It's interesting that there is talk about Richmond Hill being one of the first lines to get new all-day service. Of all the GO lines, RH is the one with the least growth potential. It has an indirect route, it runs through a valley for much of its length, and it has a travel time comparable to the (cheaper) parallel Yonge subway.

The only role that I can see for the Richmond Hill line is to continue providing rush-hour relief to the Yonge line.

Richmond Hill will not be one of the first new lines to get all day service.

Stouffville and Newmarket (definitely to Markham GO, possibly Mount Joy GO and definitely to Newmarket GO, possibly to East Gwillimbury GO, respectively), should be up and running in 2010. These two lines will use passing sidings to achieve the service so upgrades beyond 60 minute will not be possible immediately.

Georgetown and Milton will likely see all day service in the next round, as the EAs for those projects are currently underway.

Richmond Hill will likely be the last of GO's current offerings to see all day service.

GO Georgetown-Kitchener PICs in the next couple of weeks

from SSP
Here is an ad for a Public Information Centre for a preliminary design study and class environmental assessment for an extension of the Go TRAIN to possibly Baden in Today's Record:

PUBLIC INFORMATION CENTRES
GEORGETOWN TO KITCHENER RAIL EXPANSION

THE STUDY
GO Transit, the Province of Ontario’s inter-regional public transit service for
the Greater Toronto and Hamilton areas, is undertaking a Preliminary Design
Study and Class Environmental Assessment to expand rail services from
Georgetown to Kitchener. The Study will identify passenger demand for the
extended service, track improvements, stations and storage facilities, park
and ride facilities and integration with local transit. The study area is from
the Mount Pleasant GO Station in west Brampton to the Kitchener/Waterloo
Region, as shown in the map below.

gotrainexpansionru3.jpg

THE PROCESS
The project will follow the planning process for a Group “B” project under
GO Transit’s Class Environmental Assessment Document (2005).
Your participation is an important part of the process and we welcome
your input. You are invited to attend one of the Public Information Centres
listed below.

DATE: Tuesday, September 23, 2008
TIME: 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
135 Ferguson Street
Guelph, ON

DATE: Thursday, September 25, 2008
54 Queen Street North
Kitchener, ON

DATE: Wednesday, October 1, 2008
9 Church Street
Halton Hills, ON

COMMENTS
For further information, or to be added to the mailing list, please contact:

Mr. Leonard Rach,
Project Manager
R. J. Burnside & Associates
15 Townline
Orangeville, ON L9W 3R4
Tel.: 1-800-265-9662, ext. 302
Fax: 519-941-8120
E-mail: leonard.rach@rjburnside.com

Mr. Bruce Sevier
Senior Project Officer
GO Transit
20 Bay Street, Suite 600
Toronto, ON M5J 2W3
Tel.: 416-869-3600, ext. 5213
Fax: 416-869-9011
E-mail: Bruce.Sevier@gotransit.com

Richmond Hill Via CP track/ROW

In reading the above posts I was more conscious of the rather 'curvy' route of the current GO Richmond Hill Service.

Which got me to thinking.

Why is it run on the CN Trackage in the south anyway?

When I look at the routing, the CP trackage that runs next to the DVP in the south, before crossing the Don River in a n/w direction to meet the CP Main line makes much more sense.

Not for what it does in the south so much, but for what the old, now abandoned, soon to be a bike path ROW could have done (should still do) north of the Mainline.

The old CP Leaside spur runs a much straighter route, and meets the existing CN Route to Richmond Hill again just south of the 401.

I'm thinking using this route, CP to CN then switching at the (former) junction just south of 401 would shave at least 10 min off the commute.

Thoughts?

(not that this will happen, the people of Don Mills would not be impressed with my idea I'm sure!!)

about the Kitchener plan...

Great idea imo only if they maintain most of the main commuter service through Brampton-Bramalea.

They have to keep the line as two parts. The commuter part and the actual transportation link that the Lakeshore line has become between Oshawa and Hamilton.

Having all the trains coming in from Waterloo would cause massive overcrowding at the stations.

There would be a lot of riders in Guelph imo.

Northern Light, you've got a great idea there and, IIRC, it was considered by GO about a decade ago. My guess is that the main problem would be rehabbing the track and dealing with CP for the short stretch on their North Toronto mainline. Double tracking the high bridge over the valley would also be a lot more expensive than down in the valley on the existing route.

The advantages are, of course, a less circuitous route and the possibility of a stop in the Leaside/Thorncliffe Park/Don Mills area.

Electrification would bring more advantages to most GO routes than a high top speed because it significantly improves acceleration.

Lakeshore line already had weekend and off peak service in 2004....no?.
??? It had weekend and hourly off-peak service in 1967! The governments promised an upgrade in exchange for cancelling the Scarborough Expressway in the 1970s. Still waiting for either.

This is what irks a lot of non-lakeshore riders (and I admit it irks me)...you already have a line with service both ways 7 days a week.....and you still spend money on that line to make it even more frequent....when you have a bunch of lines that need investment to get them anywhere close to the Lakeshore.
Demand is higher there, and promised have been made for over 30 years. Looking back at the Toronto Transit website the line was carrying over 4,000,000 rideras a year by 1968; more than any other line currently carries, except Milton (which is about 6,000,000 a year now). Even with the currently increased off-peak service on the Georgetown line it is under 4,000,000. While the Lakeshore is currently over 24,000,000.

I just don't see the logic in delaying upgrades that have been in planning for decades, to increase services for less people. (and I really don't think these things are mutually exclusive. GO in 2004 started several upgrade projects, and this is the first to bear major fruit. And perhaps the low-hanging fruit too.)

GO is funded by all taxpayers, there is absolutely no reason this level of dispartity should ever have been allowed to develop.
So you should have equal service for every route no matter how much or little demand there is? Or you should ignore upgrade planning and promises made before some of the current routes were even conceived?

And then there's the Georgetown upgrade disaster. The federal government promised hundreds of millions to upgrade this route back in 2003. And it's still stuck in the EA process because the entire thing was hijacked by nimby's in Weston. (can you imagine how they'll feel knowing a GO Train will be whizzing past their houses every 7.5 minutes - no wonder GO has focussed on things like Lakeshore - when the window is open I hear every GO Train that passes - and I don't think I've heard a single complaint in my neighbourhood about more trains!)

its because people along the Lakeshore Line use the Line and love it.

The Georgetown line and the other lines are hardly used inside of the City Of Toronto apart from a few stations.

People in Weston see it as an attack by 905'ers.

Imo it is a very very fast way to get from Weston to Downtown.

Based on what the community group is actually saying, my interpretation is that they would love to have more frequent GO service. It's the express trains that they are protesting against.

And then there's the Georgetown upgrade disaster. The federal government promised hundreds of millions to upgrade this route back in 2003. And it's still stuck in the EA process because the entire thing was hijacked by nimby's in Weston. (can you imagine how they'll feel knowing a GO Train will be whizzing past their houses every 7.5 minutes

I think they'll be disappointed. After all, they did publish a report that requested trains passing by their houses every 5 minutes. They'll have to settle for every 7.5 minutes, I guess.

I'll say it yet again... Weston WANTS more trains going through their neighbourhood. They've asked for it. But what they want is for those trains to actually stop in their neighbourhood, and they don't want their community split in two by closing all local streets that cross the rail corridor (as was the original plan). These are two very, very reasonable requests. If you need to understand why they are so adamant about receiving improved service to Weston, go ride the 89 bus. It can take upwards of an hour just to get to Keele subway station from Weston, and another half-an-hour on the subway to get downtown.

The GO train takes 17 minutes to do the same trip. All they're asking for is better transit, and are being painted as NIMBYs as a result.

Back