News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I know from previous experience in Federal Elections in this area that the Tamil and Bengali electorate does not count for much. Most of them are either unwilling to vote or unable due to the fact they are not citizens.

I do not see Shome or Malika going very far but I can see this being a 2 horse race between Parti and Kevin.

This is solely based on my experience living in the ward since the days of Gerry Altobello!
I too live in the ward. In case you missed it, Malika has a two page ad in the October 31 edition of the Beach Metro News. One of her stated priorities for Ward 20: “No new bike lanes on Kingston Road”. As you may or may not be aware, Kevin has been an active volunteer with the Danforth - Kingston 4 All group promoting the extension of the ’complete street’ from Victoria Park to Kingston Road to Scarborough Golf Club Road. As a resident of Cliffcrest, I am hopeful the future includes a cycling connection to the rest of Toronto.

I too live in the ward. In case you missed it, Malika has a two page ad in the October 31 edition of the Beach Metro News. One of her stated priorities for Ward 20: “No new bike lanes on Kingston Road”. As you may or may not be aware, Kevin has been an active volunteer with the Danforth - Kingston 4 All group promoting the extension of the ’complete street’ from Victoria Park to Kingston Road to Scarborough Golf Club Road. As a resident of Cliffcrest, I am hopeful the future includes a cycling connection to the rest of Toronto.

I don't normally read the local papers but when I do it's the Bluffs Monitor.

Bike Lanes on Kingston Road would do the area well. Maybe not as far as Scarborough Golf Club but certainly in and around Cliffside.

I don't normally read the local papers but when I do it's the Bluffs Monitor.

Bike Lanes on Kingston Road would do the area well. Maybe not as far as Scarborough Golf Club but certainly in and around Cliffside.
Cliffside and Cliffcrest. 😀

This is not a City of Toronto specific story, nor one about city government, but at the moment, I can't think of a better 'general' thread in which to place it:

RioCan is pausing ALL construction starts. (not ongoing projects, but those that have yet to break ground)

From the above:

View attachment 517620

They will use any surplus funds to lower the REIT's existing debt, for now

View attachment 517621
This is exactly the intended effect of increased interest rates. Slow rate of investment to reduce the demand for goods and services.

This is not a City of Toronto specific story, nor one about city government, but at the moment, I can't think of a better 'general' thread in which to place it:

RioCan is pausing ALL construction starts. (not ongoing projects, but those that have yet to break ground)

From the above:

View attachment 517620

They will use any surplus funds to lower the REIT's existing debt, for now

View attachment 517621

This is really unfortunate, as RioCan has several residential-heavy projects in the pipeline, with Shoppers World Brampton being the largest. (That might also explain why that project has yet to launch despite a strong push in the last few years.)

UT readers should be taking an interest in the recent federal-provincial spat over who gets to do what. The provinces are upset with the Feds new “Housing Accelerator Fund”, which potentially could add billions to the municipality pot for housing projects. The provinces are upset that the Feds would ( and are) deal directly with the municipalities without receiving the provincial seal of approval first.

Politicians are a bit tiresome at the best of times, and lately more so. But this little cage match could again directly impact Toronto ( and the GTA) so is worthy of attention and a phone call/email/letter to your local city representative, mp and mpp.

Apparently someone is stealing Parthi's signs and putting some of them on stop signs.

This election in ward 20 is interesting. Ghous has pissed off a lot of people by winning as trustee last year and going on a leave of absence now so she can focus on this election. She has tons of huge signs compared to most. Hasn't taken part in the debates and at 23 has little work experience.

Parthi and Kevin did well in the last election till Tory interfered by robocalling people in election day. Suman Roy has created the Scarborough Food Security Initiative during the pandemic which has really taken off. I hope one of them win.

Apparently someone is stealing Parthi's signs and putting some of them on stop signs.

This election in ward 20 is interesting. Ghous has pissed off a lot of people by winning as trustee last year and going on a leave of absence now so she can focus on this election. She has tons of huge signs compared to most. Hasn't taken part in the debates and at 23 has little work experience.

Parthi and Kevin did well in the last election till Tory interfered by robocalling people in election day. Suman Roy has created the Scarborough Food Security Initiative during the pandemic which has really taken off. I hope one of them win.

I am a Ward 20 Resident so I will give my take on this.

I have not see many of Parthi's signs at all. It is almost as though he has not put any up.

Malika Ghous is immature and I swear she is putting up signs without permission. I have seen a number of her signs taken down and others on property owned by my neighbours who I know would not consent to any signs being put up.

On election night when she won the race for Trustee she put a sign up on my neighbours boulevard and started dancing around to make a Tiktok video. I was talking about it the next day and my neighbour mentioned he was never asked if they could put up a sign.

I personally will not vote for Malika because she is an opportunist who will jump ship at the next best opportunity. If a Federal Election was called tomorrow, she would likely drop the election for councilor to run in that election.

I am sorry but she is not qualified to run a Wendy's let alone be a councilor.

I am a Ward 20 Resident so I will give my take on this.

I have not see many of Parthi's signs at all. It is almost as though he has not put any up.

Malika Ghous is immature and I swear she is putting up signs without permission. I have seen a number of her signs taken down and others on property owned by my neighbours who I know would not consent to any signs being put up.

On election night when she won the race for Trustee she put a sign up on my neighbours boulevard and started dancing around to make a Tiktok video. I was talking about it the next day and my neighbour mentioned he was never asked if they could put up a sign.

I personally will not vote for Malika because she is an opportunist who will jump ship at the next best opportunity. If a Federal Election was called tomorrow, she would likely drop the election for councilor to run in that election.

I am sorry but she is not qualified to run a Wendy's let alone be a councilor.
Everyone I've talked to is annoyed at her for bailing on the trustee job so quickly, but I am worried that she had enough people to vote her in and they may come out in full force to vote for her as councillor.

Parthi has put up a decent amount of signs but she has outdone everyone.

Someone on Facebook said her dad owns a number of numbered companies and implies the family is well off. Who knows. All I know is I am sick of seeing her face everywhere.

Another person said Parthi's signs that were in an area of Brimley have all disappeared. I wouldn't put it past her or her team for doing this but of course I have no proof. I am not sure who I'll be voting for but it definitely won't be her.

I also wonder, if she wins, there are 3 years left in her term, will we have an election to replace her as trustee? I don't know if they'll just appoint someone.

Everyone I've talked to is annoyed at her for bailing on the trustee job so quickly, but I am worried that she had enough people to vote her in and they may come out in full force to vote for her as councillor.

Parthi has put up a decent amount of signs but she has outdone everyone.

Someone on Facebook said her dad owns a number of numbered companies and implies the family is well off. Who knows. All I know is I am sick of seeing her face everywhere.

Another person said Parthi's signs that were in an area of Brimley have all disappeared. I wouldn't put it past her or her team for doing this but of course I have no proof. I am not sure who I'll be voting for but it definitely won't be her.

I also wonder, if she wins, there are 3 years left in her term, will we have an election to replace her as trustee? I don't know if they'll just appoint someone.

Excerpt from Malika Ghous campaign brochure received in my mailbox today. :mad:

IMG_6390.jpeg

Is that a picture of a bike lane in Scarborough Southwest? :D
Good comment!

"I will stop adding any NEW bike lanes on major streets in Scarborough Southwest." Well Malika, with a couple of minor very short sections, there are none to add to. I'm glad she made her position so clear before I voted.

Last edited:
Good comment!

"I will stop adding any NEW bike lanes on major streets in Scarborough Southwest." Well Malika, with a couple of minor sections, there are none to add to. I'm glad she made her position so clear before I voted.

Her comment may have been in reference to the previously existing bicycle lanes on Birchmount which made driving on that stretch south of St Clair a living hell. It slowed traffic considerably and made access to local buildings problematic. They were removed after public outcry.

The bike lanes on Birchmount turned it from 2 lanes each way to 1.

Her comment may have been in reference to the previously existing bicycle lanes on Birchmount which made driving on that stretch south of St Clair a living hell. It slowed traffic considerably and made access to local buildings problematic. They were removed after public outcry.

The bike lanes on Birchmount turned it from 2 lanes each way to 1.

1) There are no bike lanes on major roads in Scarborough South West currently, nor have there been for many, many years.

2) As noted in the past, Birchmount was only problematic for the small stretch between Danforth Road and St. Clair, the rest functioned just fine as did Pharmacy.

3) The real concern here is that Ghous is clearly opposing the extension of the Danforth Cycle Tracks, and their continuation on to Kingston Road.

She's a poor candidate w/limited life experience and platform positions contrary to the best interests of the residents she would seek to represent. I do hope she is defeated, preferably, soundly.

Last edited:
1) There are no bike lanes on major roads in Scarborough South West currently, nor have their bin for many, many years.

2) As noted in the past, Birchmount was only problematic for the small stretch between Danforth Road and St. Clair, the rest functioned just fine as did Pharmacy.

3) The real concern here is that Ghous is clearly opposing the extension of the Danforth Cycle Tracks, and their continuation on to Kingston Road.

She's a poor candidate w/limited life experience and platform positions contrary to the best interests of the residents she would seek to represent. I do hope she is defeated, preferably, soundly.

She strikes me as the "Social Media" Candidate like Norm Kelly was. She wants to build a name for herself without any regard for the people she would be serving.

If she gets elected, expect to find her on Tiktok, Instagram and Facebook promoting her life at City Hall.

Back